30 years since 2CV production stopped...

brownnova

Slightly OT, but one of my neighbours stopped me in the street yesterday, asking what had happened to the CX. Turns out he had trained as a mechanic with Citroën in the 1980s, and claims to have run a succession of 2CVs, including one in which the floorpan gave way under his wife's feet during a journey. Another 2CV he claims to have drunk-driven straight under the arch at Marble Arch in the early hours of a morning because negotiating the one-way system to get onto the Edgware Road would have made him vomit.

He sez he still has tools for 2CVs in his shed.

I think he runs a Honda Jizz now.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

It's a lot nicer around town then my GSA! That thing shunts and jolts all the time.

My father had a GS 1220 Club when I did my driving practice and if you went down to walking pace you had to dip the clutch select first gear and feed the clutch back in to avoid kangarooing up the road. My driving instructor would tell me off in his Triumph Toledo as it would pull cleanly from walking pace in second gear!

On 7/27/2020 at 11:13 PM, Zelandeth said:

It's far too long since I was last out in a 2CV, and still very much want to see what my husband makes of one... they're cars which are so utterly unlike anything else that they need to be experienced and looking at pictures don't really give a full experience!

Maybe I should get mine out of storage for the next FoD event, it will do it good and maybe I might find a volunteer to grease it up for me!

P1340526 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

That is why it is so strange, Douglas is a calm, caring, well grounded sort of fellow we have know for many years so it must have been the car that made him do it! 

Ask him if he has a Merc 540K. That might be an explanation....

10 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Foot to the floor, over 70mph indicated. IIRC this was the road to Helensburgh.
They're not great in town where you have to constantly start and stop but on the open road you can barrel along at 60-65 quite easily in a good one.

img197.jpg

It’s surprising how well you can progress on  quiet, windy a and B roads, I found my perception levels were heightened to conserve momentum. Maximum attack. I avoided braking if at all possible. I was in my early 20s so perhaps my 2cv driving style will be different (more sedate) if I owned one today. 

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Maximum attack. I avoided braking if at all possible.

I believe that's the correct approach to driving them. Maintaining momentum is paramount.

I came to be of the opinion that when the road markings said 'SLOW', that was the time to floor it. I'm not sure 'accelerate' would be the right term, but they make a lot more noise when that second choke in the carb is opened wide, which makes it sound like you should be going faster:)

I agree with the above comments that a 602cc can happily keep up with modern traffic, only a long uphill causes them to run out of puff.

I once lost a sizeable portion of my chips through a hole in the floor (that hole where the rear floor meets the wheelarch, do you know it?), when the bag fell over mid-corner. Just one of those things you have to watch out for I guess.

Nice to see you getting a traditional gallic greeting there @brownnova:

015F211E-3B6C-4BB2-A612-E5F637CCA78C.jpeg.9ca9f88a04ed58a1452f581d114b3630.jpeg.e378e3766121a9186fcad23b9ac420e7.jpeg

No idea what's going on here, though:

autowp.ru_citroen_2cv_6.thumb.jpeg.6806f96dc995cfeb6f19edd4bfbc2902.jpg.668792b647129c20eb55d537dc2ff587.jpg

Is this some elaborate French sport?

6 hours ago, eifion said:

I was about to ask the same question. Are we all closet train spotters on here?

I used to explore that line when I worked in the area.  A real ghost railway through empty fields, and interesting remains where it crosses the Great Central route  at Calvert.