James May

Tayne

Do I suspect a hint of "I don't get to drive Ferraris / Astons / Lambos to far flung places and have fun, so therefore Top Gear shouldn't either" from a few of you lot?

Top Gear should be the ones envying me, you could stick me in a mid-90s Hyundai Lantra 1.6 and tell me to drive to Chickenley and I'd be happy for the rest of the week. They look so slick those Lantras, I like the weird curvy boot.

Posted Image

Top Gear would probably just moan and groan about it, then crash it into a wall. I get to have more fun really.

Perhaps I'm a cynic, but I didn't for a moment believe that May cared about that car, or it's inevitable destruction. I don't believe the Lambo was damaged. I don't believe they slept in the cars, or didn't notice the dam. I don't believe the Ferrari kept making random calls. In fact, I felt insulted; I don't have a problem with staged stunts, but they should be epic and OTT - not the lazy, made-up-on-the-fly mistakes/misunderstandings formula they've relied on for too long now.If I wanted to see sneering millionaires taking the piss out of the public, I'd watch X-Factor.

Its televisual entertainment, nothing more, nothing less - why be insulted by it?. The days of it being a serious car show ended when Noel Edmonds et al left.Mind you I enjoy it. What irks me is that the other "rival" shows feel they have to do the same sort of thing.

If anyones interested the hour special this series is Bolivia.Top gear is the only television i watch without missing one,apart from the stupidly interesting channel 4 documentries, so it must be pretty good.Sure they bash a fair few decent cars but if me and you know theyre good theres no reason to get annoyed.James May is a car enthusiast through and through, as is JC but they have a fondness for different things. Hammond used to entertain me, but hes different now, and i dont know why.

The enquiry is completeThe vehicle details for F233 FKM are:Date of Liability 01 04 1992Date of First Registration 04 01 1989Year of Manufacture 1989Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2959CCCO2 Emissions Not AvailableFuel Type PetrolExport Marker Not ApplicableVehicle Status UnlicensedVehicle Colour GREYVehicle Type ApprovalDidn't live long that Alfa!

Oof, Clarkson sound very well-spoken in that clip, like a smart arse Cambridge graduate. Shows how he's changed his manner on TV over 20 years.They seem to be re-doing these old ideas in the newer series, eg this article about London congestion was re-done as the race between car, boat, bike and public transport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zEXhs_ls

I like this old Top Gear road test, featuring large bland '90s family cars and Tiffany Dell.

These straight-faced road tests are only interesting to watch retrospectively, I don't think I could watch a contemporary one with pitting bloated inflata-cars against each other.

Has anyone watched Top Gear Australia? It's a bit more honest and low budget than our version. The electric car challenge I watched last night is pretty fun - pt1 / pt2

I like this old Top Gear road test, featuring large bland '90s family cars and Tiffany Dell.

Bearing in mind in the late 80s I was in single-digit ages, and didn't have Wikipedia, I went for years thinking he was actually called Tiffany. :oops: I blame Willy Woolard for always being prim and proper and introducing him with a full name, rather than calling him "Tiff". That man knew how to wear a sports jacket. Legend has it, if he was more than fourty yards away from a chrome-bumpered MG he'd need oxygen to survive.