Peugeot 206.....I think I want one hmmmm

djb222

I've recently replaced a radiator on a friends 206 Sport a thoroughly enjoyable job in fact I hazard it maybe the easiest job I've tackled on a car for a long long time. The car was overheating and was diagnosed with a HGF, however rad weld had been used a few times so I suggested changing the radiator after having a look at the car and changing it seems to have done the trick. Before on idle stuck in traffic the temp would rise into the red even with the fan running, now it rises to around 95 degrees or so and then drops as the fan kicks in........ have a look at the video if you're interested..

In fact I like the 206 a lot and am considering a Gti hmmmm. Anyone owned a 206 Gti

IMG_20191121_152936.thumb.jpg.21c39abe6fc9c784bd0a6172a3e9208b.jpg

I have one.  It's great.  High 30s MPG and good fun.

I bought it because I bought a fucked one for the engine, and I thought it was mint.

IMG-20190308-WA0048.thumb.jpeg.95aa0b5a14ac0479da35fd0af3bfcbd8.jpegIMG-20190308-WA0016.thumb.jpeg.6eb6298afa2a74301eba57c435c96871.jpeg

I would strongly consider a 2.0 HDI 90, because very tunable and economy is marvellous.

2 minutes ago, djb222 said:

Yes I'd heard that,  think I need to try one. Maybe the 180? although on paper the performance figures aren't that much different, however I'm no boy racer just an ageing fart wanting an affordable toy..

If there is a choice between a ratty 180 and a nice 136 you'd buy the 136, there's not as big a difference as you'd think, I'd not recommend a diesel one personally, the weight of the engine blunts the handling quite a bit.

7 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

a ratty 180 and a nice 136 you'd buy the 136

I bought my nice 136 for £450.  180s are getting surprisingly pricy.

CAR magazine seemed to rate the HDI90 better than the GTI in the early reviews.

IMG-20191104-WA0064.thumb.jpeg.ad0ffb002cad70001a9704da0826483a.jpegIMG-20191104-WA0066.thumb.jpeg.18f80c3fe349aba40e3c0ad1038c071c.jpeg

Haven driven Mike's GTi can confirm it goes well, was far better than I expected given they didn't exactly receive high praise from the typically snooth motoring press of the time. 

I had a 1.4 5 door, think it was an LX. W37 JSG. Had a nice sliding electric sunroof and was a pretty comfy thing. Would definitely have another.

My first car was a 206 2.0hdi 90 3 door. Find, fond memories of it, but ive not wanted one since, I just don't think I'll like one as much now. 

Mine had been fairly badly damaged in its past and the mot history went to 200+k before an odo change had it on 70k when I bought it but it never set a foot wrong until the aux pulley went, then it got set on fire... (not by me, although it was a fun chat with the police...) 

That's the one thing I remember about mine, it sipped fuel. I'm guessing my brain is over exaggerating now as it was 10 years ago  ut I'm sure I did Marlow to Peterborough, dicked around for a bit then drove back on under half a tank... But it doesn't seem technically possible. Also remember it being very fast, but it did have alot of shove, but probably wasn't that fast at all... 

Remember buying the Puma to replace it and it feeling alot tighter and faster. I borrowed works Accord tourer too during my 206 ownership and did 1400 miles in a weekend, 206 felt very broken after that for a while. I'd not get a baggy one if you can help it. 

I'm sure @gnomeot drove it before I passed my test and frightened himself with oversteer joining the a404 not even too enthusiastically!

I had a DW8 one, took it from just over 100k to 200k. Only one FTP due to a dodgy connection in the engine loom. Annoyingly this left the car in Cambridge where I was working. I had to get a hire car home (luckily work paid for this) then I had to borrow a van and trailer to collect it back to Fife. 

I picked up a set of 2nd hand spax shocks from gumtree. These made a massive difference to the handling. The engine was terrible, no go and it used more fuel my my colleagues TDCi Fords. 

I had to change the back axle for a second hand one and then a bearing in this axle as I caught it in time. 

I was also looking at the gtis as a fun wee car but like the Clio 172 they values seem to be creeping upwards. 

1 hour ago, Hogie said:

Part of me fancies  206 1.4 HDI.  

My friends parents had a 307 1.4 HDI back in the day.....I think they used to top it up with a thimble  full of diesel once  month......it was mega on fuel but dog slow.

206 being a lighter car might be okay.

I learned to drive in a 1.4HDI back in 2006.  My memories are vague and I didn't know much about cars then (or even now...) but I remember it being fine.  You don't know any different when you're learning to drive but it must have been a very slow car indeed.  Gear change was ok, steering very light, visibility fine.  The more I think about it, then more I want one out of curiosity value but they're inoffensive and quite simple.

i've had a gti 180, bought as a stop gap when i bought my first house back in 2014 for a grand, you probably cant get one for that now!

was a right laugh to drive, i genuinley felt it was one of the best handling cars (FWD) i've owned (aside a civic type R) , but it was french and everything was broke (part of the charm whatever AS lot say) 

exhaust rattled, top mounts were buggered, back axle was sagging etc, more poor maintenance than anything.

seats are awesome looking but not that comfortable

206 1.jpg

206 2.jpg

15 hours ago, Hogie said:

Plus only 30 quid a year to tax....I bet you could map them too

Don't know about mapping them but yes 1.4 HDis are £30 a year tax. My one was £450 and does 65mpg without me trying.

It will need rear axle bearings come MOT time though.

It is slow, especially starting and up hills. Other than that it isn't too bad.

IMG_20200722_141153963.thumb.jpg.9e2dd8f8f30cdb4a7e0770b3f15ded52.jpg

Always thought they were shit until I got taken round Anglesey circuit in a 180 by a decent driver, it was very impressive. It’s just a shame that they come from the time in between the current and historical periods of good looking Peugeots