Marm's Motors: Good Micra / Bad Audi

Marm Toastsmith

Had a go at starting the Varadero this morning. Nothing… I’m guessing the fuel is stale. Unless…

I couldn’t find a fuel tap anywhere. The Haynes manual and a users manual I found online both mention one, but this is a fuel injected model and the manuals I’ve found seem to be for carburettor models… hmm.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: Motorcycle won’t start

Had a quick play with the Varadero. Have attached a pic of the key, which is the only one that came with it...

Did wonder whether the key is supposed to turn further to the right in the barrel - it turns between on and off, past that is written "ignition". I've assumed it just means ignition on/off.

Messing about with the kill switch I've noticed that when switching between the run and kill positions the FI light momentarily comes on, accompanied by an electrical hum. See video (if it works). The FI light then turns off again.

01CF1F6F-76F5-4AA4-BBA9-DB3FF6AC6812.jpeg

8245B8EF-5D42-449F-B878-F53BF4B23C87.jpeg

Vid doesn't work but when it's in the run position the Fi light should be on and the fuel pump should prime, the key should not turn past on but the ign switch is probably worn.

Does the side stand switch work?

Does the clutch need to be pulled in for it to start?

Have you replaced the fuel in the tank with fresh?

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Vid doesn't work but when it's in the run position the Fi light should be on and the fuel pump should prime, the key should not turn past on but the ign switch is probably worn.

Does the side stand switch work?

Does the clutch need to be pulled in for it to start?

Have you replaced the fuel in the tank with fresh?

Thanks. Key doesn’t turn past “on” - I was just wondering if it should. Nothing on the bike is worn really as it’s only done 2500 miles…

I’ll check the side stand switch. Bike is in neutral though, and pulling the clutch in doesn’t appear to have any effect.

Haven’t replaced the fuel yet but obviously it’s a very good idea… I’d sort of expect it to at least cough and splutter on old fuel but maybe not?

To clarify, the FI light only comes on momentarily for a second or two while switching from kill to run. It doesn’t illuminate when the starter is engaged. Can’t hear a fuel pump unless it’s that hum- only lasts a second or two. Video works for me, maybe it’s an IOS/PC thing.

Google seems to indicate that the FI light is a “fault indicator”. In which case going out would be a good thing! I thought it stood for “fuel injection”.

I wonder… Is it possible that it’s not starting because the seat etc. is removed? 

8 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

they are very simple engines and have little in the way of electronics.

All things being relative… compared to the MZs Vespas etc. I’ve owned in the past it’s a fairly complex (and modern) machine, but mainly I just wanted to check I wasn’t doing anything stupid before getting involved pulling plugs etc… thanks. 

• 3 months later...
  • Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: Many Miles in Micra
4 minutes ago, Marm Toastsmith said:

Many trouble free miles travelled by Micra. Nice to move on to a new decade. Hope the 80s aren't worse than the 70s, the 70s were great.

F7C09DFF-AE49-4285-8F34-1538075C7107.jpeg

7 miles till you can laugh childishly.

1 minute ago, Mally said:

But what about the Motorcycle?

I know, poor thing has been ignored. All I need to do really is try some fresh fuel in it but the last time I tried to do anything with it I managed to drop it on myself so it's become a bit of a mental block. Oh and previously I managed to cross thread the bolt that holds the battery cover in place. Not a great start. I'm not normally quite this hopeless. Or maybe I am?

Planning to have it on the road by spring, the weather is not particularly conducive to riding or tinkering at the moment but I will get round to it. Hope the battery still works by then, I should probably go and charge it now.

On 05/03/2022 at 14:15, Marm Toastsmith said:

I want to peel off this dealer sticker...

3EC20FD5-AF69-4851-BCC5-1BE0D0B332B9.jpeg

You know, it's funny you mention getting rid of the dealer sticker (and badge by the looks of it) I purposely got the badges and dealer logos back on the roffle Micra Ma is driving around in now.

Before:

Screenshot_20221213-225038_Gallery.thumb.jpg.31ef934f5fe569268ddd18921a6fd557.jpg

After:

Screenshot_20221213-224751_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d38439520979b1bfbdd8322202fa2aa1.jpg

I got the 'Micra' and 'Tempest' badges off eBay, the 'Glyn Hopkin' badge (original supplying dealer of roffle Micra) was a very lucky find. I found it on the ground of mechanics I take my cars to. Right colour too! Although I have seen Glyn Hopkin supplied Micras with the Glyn Hopkin badge lower right to the lip of the boot. Not that bothered about it myself. It looks good (well, to me anyway)

You still got the wheel trims and badges?

3 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

You still got the wheel trims and badges?

Yep. I actually bought a 4th wheel trim to replace the missing one. I just don't like plastic wheel trims. The badge is going back on, I took it off for cleaning purposes, but I don't regret removing the dealer sticker. :D

The situation with the passenger window in the Micra is not really good enough, especially now I'm ride sharing with a colleague at work. UHU was not really good enough for holding the glass in the two little plastic clips, but on the plus side it has cleaned off easily enough.

What should I use? This Sikaflex promises to be suitable. I wonder... Gonna have lunch first, hopefully the weather will allow me to put it back together this afternoon.

328FF6B3-6A60-4EE1-8238-8B2B63E135EB.jpeg

D5652259-59F5-4325-B213-78B49B795C2C.jpeg

D0EA6E91-0F0A-4F0D-A42B-49D52822612F.jpeg

C411D82A-2E12-4F46-B2FD-13C00BACEC47.jpeg

0F7139FE-0B53-47A8-BB06-1CAD940DD9DE.jpeg

Went with the sikaflex stuff - we'll see if it lasts. The stuff I scraped off the glass seemed to be some kind of silicone based adhesive. I made sure glass and clips were super clean and grease free so it's got half a chance but it was fiddly to get a good amount of adhesive squeezed into both of the clips due to awkward access - with hindsight I probably should have pumped some glue in before refitting them into the regulator. There is some deformation of the rubber in the runners so the glass isn't sliding down as nicely as it should, which might be part of the reason why it pulled out of the clips in the first place.

For winter I think I'll play it safe and leave the winder in the glovebox. At least the car is back in one piece and not covered in gaffa tape (which was causing water to drip onto the passenger seat). I'll try again in spring when I need to open it!

Also replaced the wing mirror, the incorrect sized glass was wobbling about on the old one so I bought an entire second hand unit rather than mess about. On closer inspection the old mirror was held in place with more gaffa. I'm surprised it hadn't fallen off by now! The rubber gasket on both had started to perish too, I used the best one which I think is good enough.

525FB2C1-F043-4084-8FFB-9C548C133B77.jpeg

83542A7B-88C5-4B25-8311-9C6668733ED5.jpeg

3FDA0CA7-48AC-4C30-80A5-FBA85BE70988.jpeg

83CA41D6-7AC4-458E-A522-45A92C4861E2.jpeg

6011AD4D-03DE-409A-8BB4-DA09359C2F40.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

It's a year since I bought the Micra, which means it's time to book another MOT. Should be OK I reckon. I'm even thinking about treating it to a new sump (the current, corroded one being the cause of the slight oil leak) as it's been such a faithful servant. It will end up getting an early oil change, the lucky thing.

In other news MPGs aren't amazing but then it is seeing a bit more traffic etc. on my recently changed commute. I might alter my driving style (i.e. try not driving it flat out all the time) and see if I can do a bit better. Still very cheap motoring over all, especially now I'm not paying tax etc. on the Honda too.

This is now my main family car. I think most people must think I'm either very poor, or mad, or both. I love the fact that it's doing everything I need it to, and is still putting a massive smile on my face. In nearly 30 years of motoring I am convinced that this is the best car I have ever owned. :D

90FA3F87-5F30-4D02-B679-0B79C5E9542E.jpeg

55AE21AF-68F3-48C5-B455-E153347CE28A.jpeg

5A6CA95C-B373-48C6-AC87-6950F0A00806.png

Being a tightwad, and seeing as the oil leak is “not excessive” I decided to postpone the sump replacement. It can wait til summer, which will also be a nice time to clean up the driveway. In the meantime occasional top-ups offer a good chance to use up the various unlabelled cans of engine oil cluttering up the garage, and the leak will hopefully aid in rust prevention as it coats the underside of the car.

• 6 months later...

Micra keeps micraing. Yesterday I did a 500 mile round trip in it with no* discomfort. It is almost beyond adequate as an car.

In other news I just picked this up. Had to push it half the way home up a huge hill due to mysterious vanishing fuel (I think perhaps the float tap is stuck on, also hose looks pretty naff) but it was super fun in the sun for as long as it run. Looking forward to riding it down the the beach in flip flops like a continental bum.

The seller did say I was mad to attempt riding it home.

Not sure what it's fate is, I ostensibly bought it for my dad, as he's been looking for one for a while, but he might have a job getting it off me. Actually the seller had two... so I'm tempted to have another while I'm at it. He accidentally "upsold" this to me as it was nicer than the red one advertised.

Looking forward to putting more fuel in it.

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: Historical Vehicle Acquired
1 hour ago, Marm Toastsmith said:

Micra keeps micraing. Yesterday I did a 500 mile round trip in it with no* discomfort. It is almost beyond adequate as an car.

In other news I just picked this up. Had to push it half the way home up a huge hill due to mysterious vanishing fuel (I think perhaps the float tap is stuck on, also hose looks pretty naff) but it was super fun in the sun for as long as it run. Looking forward to riding it down the the beach in flip flops like a continental bum.

The seller did say I was mad to attempt riding it home.

Not sure what it's fate is, I ostensibly bought it for my dad, as he's been looking for one for a while, but he might have a job getting it off me. Actually the seller had two... so I'm tempted to have another while I'm at it. He accidentally "upsold" this to me as it was nicer than the red one advertised.

Looking forward to putting more fuel in it.

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

I’d love one of these - I have been watching them on eBay, but most of what I can afford is somewhat scruffier than this!! 

40 minutes ago, rusty_vw_man said:

I’d love one of these - I have been watching them on eBay, but most of what I can afford is somewhat scruffier than this!! 

He's still got this one. It's been painted and not brilliantly but it's presentable enough and goes well. I'm still tempted to have a second one for myself but I think I'm going to try to find a Cub instead.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-pc50-moped-1975/1464584287

IMG_7565.jpeg

Moped runs fine with new fuel! I think it's just that the tiny tank looks full when it's only got a bit in it... Also pisses it out of the bottom of the carb if the tap's left on without the engine running. Suspect sticky float. Still great fun, even if the hills round here are a test for the poor little thing.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: Overseas* Collection