Marm's Motors: Motorcycle won’t start

Marm Toastsmith

Had a go at starting the Varadero this morning. Nothing… I’m guessing the fuel is stale. Unless…

I couldn’t find a fuel tap anywhere. The Haynes manual and a users manual I found online both mention one, but this is a fuel injected model and the manuals I’ve found seem to be for carburettor models… hmm.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: Motorcycle won’t start

Had a quick play with the Varadero. Have attached a pic of the key, which is the only one that came with it...

Did wonder whether the key is supposed to turn further to the right in the barrel - it turns between on and off, past that is written "ignition". I've assumed it just means ignition on/off.

Messing about with the kill switch I've noticed that when switching between the run and kill positions the FI light momentarily comes on, accompanied by an electrical hum. See video (if it works). The FI light then turns off again.

01CF1F6F-76F5-4AA4-BBA9-DB3FF6AC6812.jpeg

8245B8EF-5D42-449F-B878-F53BF4B23C87.jpeg

Vid doesn't work but when it's in the run position the Fi light should be on and the fuel pump should prime, the key should not turn past on but the ign switch is probably worn.

Does the side stand switch work?

Does the clutch need to be pulled in for it to start?

Have you replaced the fuel in the tank with fresh?

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Vid doesn't work but when it's in the run position the Fi light should be on and the fuel pump should prime, the key should not turn past on but the ign switch is probably worn.

Does the side stand switch work?

Does the clutch need to be pulled in for it to start?

Have you replaced the fuel in the tank with fresh?

Thanks. Key doesn’t turn past “on” - I was just wondering if it should. Nothing on the bike is worn really as it’s only done 2500 miles…

I’ll check the side stand switch. Bike is in neutral though, and pulling the clutch in doesn’t appear to have any effect.

Haven’t replaced the fuel yet but obviously it’s a very good idea… I’d sort of expect it to at least cough and splutter on old fuel but maybe not?

To clarify, the FI light only comes on momentarily for a second or two while switching from kill to run. It doesn’t illuminate when the starter is engaged. Can’t hear a fuel pump unless it’s that hum- only lasts a second or two. Video works for me, maybe it’s an IOS/PC thing.

Google seems to indicate that the FI light is a “fault indicator”. In which case going out would be a good thing! I thought it stood for “fuel injection”.

I wonder… Is it possible that it’s not starting because the seat etc. is removed? 

8 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

they are very simple engines and have little in the way of electronics.

All things being relative… compared to the MZs Vespas etc. I’ve owned in the past it’s a fairly complex (and modern) machine, but mainly I just wanted to check I wasn’t doing anything stupid before getting involved pulling plugs etc… thanks.