Marm's Motors: Good Micra / Bad Audi

Marm Toastsmith

Pleased to report that on the run to work and back it behaved perfectly. The oil looked clean when I checked it too, and no further sign of coolant loss. All seems well but I will keep a close eye on things to be safe.

9 hours ago, tom13 said:

I was always worried about the headgasket on mine but in the end it was fine. I would be surprised at the age of the car that it didn't already have a multilayer in there. I know what your going through. Their reputation makes you overly cautious.

On a side note, I can't remember where the marker is on that dipstick. Is the level supposed to be between the two dots? Is your level really high?

Thanks, and I think you're right on all counts, apart from the oil level which is fine - oil had just risen up the dipstick while I was holding it upside down.

It's a fab car.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's fleet report: Dailying a cheap MGF.

Found out a little bit about the ground clearance of the car while driving home on some lanes this evening. Saw a large ish rock in the middle of the road and decided take it very slowly. Not slowly enough.

Made a right racket but no obvious damage. Fingers crossed.

Would be good to get it up on some ramps and also check the suspension height etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Mainly been using the Caddy because rain etc. It's so practical and bright and breezy to run about in... I love it. But in a slightly odd twist I might actually have to sell... been in discussions with another member about its replacement. A quick heads up to anyone who's interested.

It'll be a bit more than I paid for it but not as much as I've spent on it... will get a proper ad, photos and price together at some point.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's fleet report: Caddy 4 sail?
  • 3 weeks later...

Drove the family to London (not back) in the CR-V. On the way across town I noticed it was running warmer than usual but put it down to the weather and awful traffic.

On the way back it started overheating on the M25, with the temperature gauge behaving erratically and yoyoing between very hot (just staying out of the red) and pretty cold.

I limped it to Slough with the heating on full (ouch). I let it cool down and topped up the water, which was a bit low. I let it idle and it all seemed OK, fan coming on and off and the gauge staying in the middle.

Hit the road with no apparent issues, keeping a watchful eye on the temperature needle and taking it easy.

Just outside Swindon the temperature gauge rocketed, only just staying out of the red. It yoyo'd once or twice but was very hot by the time I'd pulled off the M4 and stopped in a lay-by. I opened the bonnet, the level in expansion tank had risen, water was boiling.

Rang AutoAid. Guy came out pretty quick and diagnosed water pump as while revving the engine it failed to chuck water out of the top of the radiator with the cap off.

Absolute nightmare of a recovery. Following calling them at roughly 3pm I made it back home some time after 3am. Three separate trucks and endless delays...

On the plus side at least they quickly delivered the rest of the family (in a e-class taxi) as apparently covid restrictions meant we couldn't all travel in the recovery truck.

I thoroughly enjoyed the company of all 3 recovery drivers though.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's fleet report: Reliable Honda Engine
9 minutes ago, marm said:

Absolute nightmare of a recovery. Following calling them at roughly 3pm I made it back home some time after 3am. Three separate trucks and endless delays...

That's not usual for AutoAid, how far was the recovery?

3 minutes ago, loserone said:

130 miles.

They were apologetic on the phone. I ended up with one guy on my file "Daniel" who was very sympathetic, kept ringing me to check I was OK, tried his best and offered £20 compensation as well as later offering to pay for a hotel when the final relay failed to show up when estimated.

I think everything went a bit mad over the bank holiday, lots of people travelling to the South West, loads of breakdowns, hot weather, covid restrictions causing complications etc.

Still, not really good enough... I suspect a strongly worded letter might result in a bit more than the £20 compensation offered. Haven't had the energy to deal with it yet, was a fairly arduous journey.

1 hour ago, marm said:

130 miles.

They were apologetic on the phone. I ended up with one guy on my file "Daniel" who was very sympathetic, kept ringing me to check I was OK, tried his best and offered £20 compensation as well as later offering to pay for a hotel when the final relay failed to show up when estimated.

I think everything went a bit mad over the bank holiday, lots of people travelling to the South West, loads of breakdowns, hot weather, covid restrictions causing complications etc.

Still, not really good enough... I suspect a strongly worded letter might result in a bit more than the £20 compensation offered. Haven't had the energy to deal with it yet, was a fairly arduous journey.

Its no consolation, but pumps are cheap (for a Honda) and not the worst job in the world on one of those.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, Cookiesouwest said:

Its no consolation, but pumps are cheap (for a Honda) and not the worst job in the world on one of those.

Well... it's Mrs Marm's car and I don't have time for spannering at the moment so she took it to the local garage. They reckon they have fixed it but I'm not convinced. I just spoke to the receptionist on the phone, she wouldn't let me speak to the actual mechanic, rather suggested that I should take it and see how I get on.

Jobs apparently done:

1. Topped up engine oil.

2. Pressure tested the cooling system.

3. Replaced the anti freeze.

4. Found that one of fan connectors was disconnected and reconnected it.

5. Fixed leaking headlamp washer (I think one of the recovery drivers might have broken this, it confused me for a minute because it looked a bit like a coolant leak).

It's true that one of the fan connectors (there are 2 fans) was loose - I had a quick look and couldn't work out where it it was supposed to go but when I let it idle the other fan kicked in OK and cut out once it had done its job.

IMO the fan operation is neither here nor there as it suddenly overheated while doing 70mph after having cruised without issue for miles.

The oil is a bit of an odd one. It seemed to have plenty when we left but it was low when I checked it after the recovery. It does seem to burn a bit.

What about that bleeding pump?

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's fleet report: Overheating CR-V - fixed?
On 6/4/2021 at 9:26 AM, loserone said:

Auto aid are the same as everyone else, and use independent breakdown companies, who were flat out.  Our trucks have been up and down the country as everyone has been let loose, and are swarming around like migrating birds in this good weather.. tacho rules and driver hours don't change but staffing levels have been all over the place in the past year or so. Crazy times for the industry, and made worse by everyone having their own policies for carrying passengers..

22 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Take it back or ask to speak to mechanic.

Has she tried a 70 mph run?

Well, Mrs M picked it up and spoke to one of the mechanics (not the one who did the work) who was certain that the water pump is OK (and said that they either work or that they don't). He kind of admitted that the fan connector issue wouldn't have caused overheating at 70mph though. His best guess was an air lock or blockage, hopefully cured by draining the existing fluid.

They also flagged up a noisy "timing chain tensioner" at startup. I've been ignoring this for at least a year - assuming it to be the starter motor. I'm sure it's a belt, not a chain, but if the tensioner is knackered it's another potential issue. Probably really needs a cam belt and water pump, I'm not sure we're going to bother though... might be time to move it on as Mrs M would like something smaller anyway.

F349B2EA-891E-4BB7-9D0D-B45CE063593A.jpeg

45 minutes ago, marm said:

mk1

Thats a belt engine not chain, as you suspected.

Could be tensioner.

Could be valves maybe.

Below from an American CRV site, but applicable

CR-V engine has a timing belt that needs to be replaced every 105,000 miles or 168,000 kilometers according to the 2001 Honda CR-V owner's manual. A timing belt replacement could cost from $350 to $500 in a repair shop ($650-870 with the water pump).
The CR-V's engine needs periodic valve adjustment. If not adjusted in time, the valves can get too tight causing misfire. If the vehicle continues to be driven with the valves being too tight, you can end up with burnt valves.

2 minutes ago, marm said:

Thanks. Valve clearances were adjusted fairly recently. The noise sounds very much like a noisy starter motor, and the more I think about it the more I think that's probably what it is. At some point I might stick my head under the bonnet and see where it's coming from.

Bit of a worry that a mechanic can't tell the difference between a chain tensioner that the car doesn't have ! and a starter motor :(

1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Bit of a worry that a mechanic can't tell the difference between a chain tensioner that the car doesn't have ! and a starter motor :(

Yeah, he also insisted that neither fan would work with one connector loose... wrong again.

I might be wrong about the starter though.

Mrs M has been running the CR-V around without issue but the urge for something slightly smaller and newer kicked in, the result being: 

04873433-FB0D-445A-B949-F95CA5D4AA86.thumb.jpeg.35801b66655609b82ccbd716d954a1af.jpeg

Seems well looked after (4 matching Goodyear tyres, Bosch battery, etc.) and low mileage (78k) but there are a couple of faults already apparent - most annoying is the passenger window has a mind of its own. Seller was up front about the engine light (diagnosed by Halfords as a knock sensor) and it seems to run well and drive pretty well. Starter is a bit noisy, too.

Still, it's quite a nice looking thing and definitely the least rusty car in the fleet. Mrs M hasn't driven it yet, hope she likes it.

At the £750 paid hopefully it's worth the bit of TLC it needs.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's fleet report: MGF tinkering

76BCE7FA-BEBD-43E4-9248-E4FAC5847617.thumb.jpeg.e97bfbf9387fd61fb05e7ceddbbb753a.jpegWasn't keen on the wonky alloy gear knob so fitted a wood one from Rimmers. It didn't fit out of the packet but easy enough to adapt following this:

https://www.mgfregister.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17169

Looks and feels much better to me, way more suited to the vibe of the car, and makes it feel more like my idea of a proper British classic. Wouldn't mind a Mountney steering wheel to match.

F9E4E072-D256-4128-8390-675296984849.thumb.jpeg.be63056e9aa1f7f3b35ba4a2126fc4a2.jpeg

Replaced a side repeater lens which kept falling out. The new one looks much nicer, too.

C06B068C-7C7F-4380-BDAF-345F88AF48EB.thumb.jpeg.68fe77ef678b46f939df1547e13611eb.jpeg

Also replaced the meh-sounding, dangerously fiddly to operate JVC CD player with a nice bluespot courtesy of @ruffgeezer. It's a "St. Tropez", which seems 100% appropriate, especially with the top down. It sounds great, and I now have a line in with the tape adapter. Currently playing Kyuss from my Nokia's MP3 player... Will be good to get the tapes out and it's nice to be able to put the glovebox cassette storage to good use.

9EA3D37C-C960-4A2D-AA66-C10DA247576E.thumb.jpeg.abb84fc1cf9b5e9518703ef714099fae.jpeg

I'd also noticed the speakers were wired wrong (front and rears out of phase) so sorted that. Front speaker wires had been replaced and wired with chocolate blocks so easily remedied. Previous owner was a sound engineer so to be expected ;) @djoptix.

While I was in there I also reglued some loose trim and found the cause of the inoperative clock backlight. I'll have a fiddle with that later.

A few nice small wins without even getting my hands too dirty. :D 

Mazda sailed its maiden voyage. 323 miles (in homage to its predecessor?) of pleasant, uneventful motoring - better than that the run seems to have "fixed" the main fault it came with as for the time being the EML light is out.

I'm fairly impressed, actually. Very good balance of ride vs handling, comfortable seats and easy to drive if not particularly exciting. Seems good on fuel too, only used 3/4 of a tank.

Upshot is that the CR-V can now be listed for sale. Possibly the Caddy too... I fancy a bigger van to replace it.

EF20F3CD-2DE3-4FC9-93F2-D97B1B280A7A.jpeg