Hot Rod Projects you'll never do

eddyramrod

For some time I’ve been wanting to put one of these:

image.jpeg.96576e9de1ed9788f4813e23a2251a09.jpeg

Into this:

4C413172-27DF-4A45-B8E1-42D76A95D13D.thumb.jpeg.2340174f0edb4aa4aa022a41c1df230b.jpeg

I would keep it looking completely standard and wouldn’t sacrifice the comfort for performance, just make it an effortless cruiser and daily driver (that makes turbo noises).

My other dream is to do an FJ Holden Ute like they were done back in the 70s. Late model motor, triple carbs, performance exhaust, slot mags, spot lights, pimptastic interior and lairy paint.

image.jpeg.69bcbcec2d9cc10f7c1a32f5e43e57c8.jpeg

There is also an idea in my head about putting a 4AGE in the Corolla. But, just like my other plans, it will probably never happen.

21 hours ago, 500tops said:

French Farmer spec C15 with Mi16 running gear.

It has been done... well, apart from the paintjob... @Six-cylinder reported on this purple-hued one on the Independent Visa Forum.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/visaforum/c15-with-mi16-t2788.html

One of our Visa diesel saloons is wearing the doors and front wings retrieved from this C15 with a BX GTi engine:
post-8685-1295033916.jpg

21 hours ago, Amishtat said:

Mk. X with the 6.0 V12

The Mk10 Jaguar has had a few different engine installations in the past. Jaguar experimented with the V8 from the Daimler Majestic for a while but didn't put it into production.

This chap fitted a 5.3 V12 to his Mk10 for the 'Rust2Rome' events:

Citroen produced a couple of Wankel-engined cars, including the Ami-based M35 coupe and the GS Birotor. There are quite a few of the M35 cars still surviving today, alomg with a handful of the GS Birotors.

This is the 4WD Triumph gearbox. I think Canley Classics may still have a couple in stock. Strangely* the demand is not high. 

sso19.jpg.281939d48cb9bfd9e33bb08151f0dd60.jpg

The clutch change doesn't look so easy as on the normal box there is a small plate on the back to withdraw the input shaft. Here it is covered with all the 4WD paraphernalia. 

The only problem with this box is the very low gearing. The standard car is already low geared but this is even lower. Put a nicely tuned high revving 1300 on here and you'd have a great street racer but I wouldn't want to do too much motorway work. But I guess that's not the point. 

And this is the Triumph 1300 rallycross car. 

car35.jpg.736f3fbe57f1fd94a1b44067f621ec0a.jpg

4wdair.jpg.fcada42a3360e9d80b3c6fc29f6abc5a.jpg

I knew it went well until it crashed and wasn't repaired but this story shows it only crashed because a rear wheel broke. 

finishinglines.thumb.jpg.5b228cc55876057b68dd27f837639c8c.jpg

But this also says it had a modified TR5 gearbox, not the 4WD one above. 

But The imaginary plans I have for my own car are far more simple. To put a Triumph straight six in it with rear wheel drive. Power isn't even that important you just want the sound of silky straight six, there is nothing better. No V8 even comes close. I don't know about straight 8s, I've never heard one but as @PhilA has invited us all over to his place maybe I'll find out. Are we all going together? 

I have put a lot of thought into this and most of it looks fairly simple. Obviously the engine bay isn't really long enough but there is a big hole in the bulkhead. 

IMG_3203.jpg.207c41b6f28fc956bb5f4ed5512c9927.jpg

That's the gearbox you can see there. Obviously you'd throw that away and the new engine would sit much lower, as it does in a Dolomite. You might have to make that hole a bit bigger and in a worst case you might have to lose the heater but if you've got a big straight six four inches from your left knee would you really need a heater?The Dolomite has a much bigger removable transmission cover which could be used and you might want to put a bigger transmission tunnel in, again from a Dolomite or 2000. The back axle would also be 2000. The Triumph 1300 rear suspension bears no resemblance to the Dolomite whatsoever and is far more like a 2000 without the driveshafts. The back end would easily take a 2000 subframe/diff assembly. The rallycross car above used one. The mk1 had a narrower track than the mk2 and I reckon would be perfect for the 1300. 

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

another one id like to see/that I think would be a bit of a giggle (which possiably has been done already? I know @Yoss  knew of one that had an AV690 engine but a normal 40Mph city diff which meant it could pull away in 4th LOL)

is a standard (well restored) Routemaster (RM or RML) but fitted with the large 11.3L AEC AV690 engine and high speed 70Mph diff from/for an RMA 

Imagine hanging off the back of the platform at 70 LOL and I can imagine a few people being caught out as a Standard looking/sounding Routemaster cruises past them at 70 LOL

I know one of the RCL's that later in its LT life operated in the central area, was fitted with a normal open platform RM rear end after a heavy rear end shunt, I wonder if that still had its AV690 engine and high speed diff? (although I dont know if RCL's had a medium speed or high speed diff I do know they did have AV690 engines but some of the ones that where demoted to bus work did end up with AV590 engines)

That's RM 2097 with the AV690. It is a lovely thing drive. 

I know there was an RMC, 1467 springs to mind that had a high speed diff from RMA/RCL and a 12.something litre AEC lorry engine (I forget the AEC designation). Rumour had it it would cruise at 73mph. Being a private vehicle it didn't have to have a speed limiter. Does sound amusing, cruising past all the National Express coaches on the motorway. It was painted in LT red as a driver trainer with L plates. 

My desire is simple and I believe a nut and bolt job without any bodywork changes.

I want one of my Visa diesels to rise from 60 bhp to 92 bhp by simply adding a turbo 1905cc from a ZX/Xantia in place of the non-turbo 1769cc XUD.

I would fit a turbo 1769cc instead from a BX or Peugeot 205 if one became available.

So if you are going to scrap a car with an early turbo XUD, known to be in good condition...........

DSCN9668.jpg broad.jpg

On 7/18/2020 at 4:44 PM, chaseracer said:

The Sunbeam Tiger is essentially an open-top Hillman Husky with a very large engine.

Just saying, like.

?

GrCnNaO.jpg

qY2u4V6.jpg

VYlSblc.jpg

I know Tigers were 260s or 289s but this has a later 302. Engine actually looks quite narrow in the engine bay.

Whitewalls not to my taste but I'd imagine it's a laugh to drive.

Build info. http://www.whatsahillman.com/v8hillman.html

Back in the late 90s, I had this crazy idea to put a Rover V8 in my old Hyundai Stellar...

20191108_133646.thumb.jpg.8a9633fb196060bb4cb8829e9cf2c47b.jpg

Sorry, haven't quite got the hang of this!

Crazy ideas? I know that the Stag V8 is heavily based on the 4 cylinder, so I wonder if the Dolomite Sprint heads would fit? Intake and exhaust might be a tad convoluted, unless you flipped one of the heads round - but then you'd have the cam drive at the wrong end of the engine!

9 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

My dire is simple and I believe a nut and bolt job without any bodywork changes.

I want one of my Visa diesels to rise from 60 bhp to 92 bhp by simply adding a turbo 1905cc from a ZX/Xantia in place of the non-turbo 1769cc XUD.

I would fit a turbo 1769cc instead from a BX or Peugeot 205 if one became available.

So if you are going to scrap a car with an early turbo XUD, known to be in good condition...........

DSCN9668.jpg broad.jpg

Which reminds me of another train of  thought.

C15 van,  (one of those long wheelbase LHD-only ones)  but with the front end of an early Visa and the air-cooled engine from a GS.

Yellow.  Van Jeaune.

33 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

Back in the late 90s, I had this crazy idea to put a Rover V8 in my old Hyundai Stellar...

20191108_133646.thumb.jpg.8a9633fb196060bb4cb8829e9cf2c47b.jpg

Sorry, haven't quite got the hang of this!

on a more serious note i have often wondered since you got the 3.5 in there would would it be possible  to squeeze one of the Late 4.6L (or even 5L from a TVR) Rover V8's in there? :) 

11 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

The block is the same externally, so not a problem - although keeping it cool might be!

yeah thats what I thought I just was not 100% sure :)

(if I understand things correctly all the Rover V8s are the same dimension wise externally just bored and stroked etc inside differently right?)

I may have said it before but ill say it again, I love your stellar in that its a sleeper in the truest sense of the word, in that from the outside literally nothing gives it away AFAIK? 

in most cars I see people call sleepers often they have been noticeably lowered or fitted with obviously wider/different wheels or something such that just gives the game away that its been upgraded under the hood

but nothing gives the game away on the stellar until you fire it up :) (or pop the bonnet!) you should nick name it the No fucking way!-mobile :mrgreen:

I remembered another plan I had in mind, I rather like early rangerovers but then I like an 80s freight rover, I know 4x4 sherpas existed as limited number conversions but I would love to build one with defender salisbury axles,divorced LT230, beef up the underbody with box section and retain the rest as a sort of practical if somewhat crap dynamically speaking utility vehicle. 

On 7/19/2020 at 1:01 PM, Six-cylinder said:

My desire is simple and I believe a nut and bolt job without any bodywork changes.

DSCN9668.jpg broad.jpg

I'll give you first dibs when I'm finished with the 418....

IMG_20200623_164802.thumb.jpg.a819b5fa42730b50c6f2509f1a442059.jpg

I bet a Visa would go like s*** off a shovel with that in... 

On 7/19/2020 at 9:59 PM, mat_the_cat said:

I know that the Stag V8 is heavily based on the 4 cylinder, so I wonder if the Dolomite Sprint heads would fit? Intake and exhaust might be a tad convoluted, unless you flipped one of the heads round - but then you'd have the cam drive at the wrong end of the engine!

I believe one head would fit, but you'd have to have a mirror image one cast for the other side - 32 valve Slag V8 though....

57 minutes ago, Jikovron said:

I remembered another plan I had in mind, I rather like early rangerovers but then I like an 80s freight rover, I know 4x4 sherpas existed as limited number conversions but I would love to build one with defender salisbury axles,divorced LT230, beef up the underbody with box section and retain the rest as a sort of practical if somewhat crap dynamically speaking utility vehicle. 

When I had an LDV 200, I parked it next to a colleague's LR 90 specifically to compare. It's very, very close. I reckon any of those bodies would go on an 88/90 chassis. Some bits would need moved/chopped/extended, but fundamentally it works. 

If one started with a cab, single or crew, the world would be one's oyster. Crew cab expedition mutt on 130 rails with HD axles? Why certainly.

I didn't see any issue with altering the powerplant either: my 1.9 XUD wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, so one of the LR conversions was hoving into view. Sensibly, Daihatsu or Isuzu. Not sensibly, GM V8 turbo diesel. 

I'd still love to stick a big Yank TD V8 in a van. I knew a guy a while back had a GM day van with a DD 4-53T in it, which was interesting, but something about a truck sized V8 appeals.

Two projects I find myself pondering when things get dull.

1. A Twini. As far as I am aware there is at least one decent recreation of what Cooper got up to. I’d like to do another.

2. If you get a copy of VW Treasures by Karmann and flick to the back you’ll see a sketch of a Beetle rally car they built but didn’t take it any further. It is essentially a 1302 with 914 front and rear suspension and a 2 litre flat six where the rear seat would have been. The one thing I don’t like about that is that I really can’t stand 1302s.

Horse a blower on the 8v bank to even up the flow.

Speaking of proper Minis, something sprung to mind: donkey's years ago in C+CC I recall there being a faded old pic with a brief description of a Rover V8 powered Mini. The challenge had been to keep it FWD, which the builder achieved by putting the engine and gearbox backwards in the back and running a propshaft forward. The diff (I think) was a Jag one upside down.

ISTR it being tacked onto an article about Ford's Supervans, so I think it was built by one of those firms. 

Sounds like the kind of nutzo thing I'd dream up while pissed. Like using a Ka as the basis for an A/W Topolino drag car tribute. The drawings are crap, but it does exist on paper at least...

14 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

Rover V8 powered Mini. The challenge had been to keep it FWD, which the builder achieved by putting the engine and gearbox backwards in the back and running a propshaft forward. The diff (I think) was a Jag one upside down.

I cant remember where I read about it but i remember an article about a v8 converted mini with a a rover v8 adapted onto an austin princess gearbox all packaged it into an extended mini flip front, severe torque steer comes to mind!! 

8 hours ago, CreepingJesus said:

Speaking of proper Minis, something sprung to mind: donkey's years ago in C+CC I recall there being a faded old pic with a brief description of a Rover V8 powered Mini. The challenge had been to keep it FWD, which the builder achieved by putting the engine and gearbox backwards in the back and running a propshaft forward. The diff (I think) was a Jag one upside down.

tEZetCS.jpg

MjOHzHS.jpg

GNFZdin.jpg

The Cooper Buick V8 from 1964. There's more info on the net. It's still around and was for sale a few years ago.