Ford Fiesta Help pleeeeeeeeeeeease!

Wingz123

As found on the Denso website

https://www.denso-am.co.uk/news/latest-news/2019/deneur19_28_glow_plugs_and_emissions/

"Glow plugs also play another important role in reducing emissions – they provide heat for the diesel particulate filter (DPF) at regular intervals, as determined by the engine management system (EMS).

All new diesel cars are fitted with a DPF, which prevents toxic soot particles being emitted from a car’s exhaust by collecting them and periodically exposing the particles to high temperatures in order to burn them, turning them into harmless ash. This is known as DPF regeneration.

If a car is driven at high speeds for a long distance, for example on the motorway, the continuous and stable heat flow from the exhaust is sufficient to clean up the DPF. The heat will burn any unburnt remains of the soot particles. But if the car is driven at low speeds, frequently stopping and starting, for example in cities, there is not enough heat for DPF regeneration.

In this case, the ECU activates the glow plugs and injects additional fuel into the engine, which ignites and heats up the DPF, so regeneration can take place"

5 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Is this after u changed the plugs?

No not changed the plugs yet. They haven't turned up in the post yet. That is with all 4 wires going to the glow plugs....even with them plugged in it starts no differently. Cold or hot. 

I remember having a poke around in Ricardo Ltd Shoreham with some engineering lecturers from Northbrook College a few years ago and they had common rail diesel engines on test beds without dpf or additive fluids that they were running emission strategies on it using the glow plugs to maintain cylinder temps vs intake/fuel temp as someone wanted a 24hr race diesel engine for a road legal car if I remember correctly. 

Big words were said in a lot of technical sentences and we kept getting told to stop touching stuff a lot.

But I learnt then that glow plugs do more than cold start.

So to add my thoughts on this - reading the person who added the response about Ford loading the non-dpf cars up with the same software as dpf cars and sending them into limp mode if the glow plugs don't work could probably be right. Very strange though how they differentiate on other things when very similar but something like this could well be left the same.....

Ah well we shall see. Thanks @Rod/b for sifting through posts on the Ford forum to dig that one out! 

I will update this and let you know how I get on. I feel even if this does rectify the issue I could be on borrowed time until the next dilemma! Thing is its not even worth that much anymore hence why run it into the ground (despite regular oil changes) has crossed my mind.....

28 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Watch they don’t snap as you undo them.

Yes I was thinking about that. Best to do once the engine is warm im thinking. Any idea what size the nut is on them? I think 10mm was too big but 9mm was too small when I offered up the sockets the other day. Didn't go as far as remove them the other day because the new plugs hadn't yet arrived in the post. 

Cheers,