Ford Fiesta Help pleeeeeeeeeeeease!

Wingz123

Finally been able to scan this Fiesta with a proper Delphi scan tool as opposed to the £4.99 cheap Chinese scan tools that really don't pick up anything and indeed it wasn't picking up anything until now.....

Engine - a lovely 1.6 TDCi with 77k on

Year - 2007 3dr

Describe the problem? - limp mode. Would happen once in a blue moon but has become more and more frequent to the point where the car is permanently in limp mode now with lights on the dash as soon as you start it up. Hit 70mph and the revs would die down even with your foot to the floor and they would die right down and engine cut out. Normally it would restart sometimes not for a few tries....

Scanned it today and it came up with this....I have googled P0500 but haven't a clue where to start really.....VSS is that vehicle speed sensor!?.....in which case where is this located???? The only speed sensors I know of are abs sensors....also referred to as speed sensors?? Ford enthusiasts please chip in.....

20200717_190348.thumb.jpg.5e5d497a3444a4ef795d24deed35e230.jpg

Thank you in advance.

James

20 minutes ago, Stanky said:

for £7 its got to be worth a bash?

Just want to double check it definitely has that sensor. Its as if it using old technology and pulling the speed from the sensor that goes into the gearbox. Does this mean it doesn't have abs sensors? Surely that cannot be?

9 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Just want to double check it definitely has that sensor. Its as if it using old technology and pulling the speed from the sensor that goes into the gearbox. Does this mean it doesn't have abs sensors? Surely that cannot be?

I'm busy tomorrow but free sunday if you want to bring it down and get it on the lift to have a good look?

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Plugged into the gearbox usually facing the front, don’t know if they’re the same as the Mk1 Focus but they were a right twat to get out. I’ve not heard of them being an issue on the Fiesta though, are you sure if it’s not instrument cluster related? 

Not had any issues with the instrument cluster whatsoever in all the time we've had the car and speedo and odometer and tacho and all the rest of it are working as they should do. A quick Google does show that the two codes currently showing on the fiesta are often found together. 

As I say also a quick Google does show quite a few people have had the same problem 

53 minutes ago, jonny69 said:

VSS is not the same as the ABS sensor. VSS sends the vehicle speed to the speedo and ECU. ABS tells the ECU if one wheel has locked but it can’t tell it how fast the vehicle is moving. 

I believe the VSS measures rotations of the flywheel?

2 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

I believe the VSS measures rotations of the flywheel?

Don’t know about those fiesta ones but the IB5 isn’t a flywheel sensor, it’s a take off from the gearbox near the selectors and the oil level. You can’t miss it, it’s got a couple of wires coming off it. 

Think it’s the MTX75 in those, can’t remember. Should be similar. 

Can’t really see on those pics, the last picture is the driveshaft output.

The second looks like the feed for the hydraulic clutch. 

If you take the battery and the other crap above it you should be able to see the top of the gearbox, there will be wiring going to the reverse switch and wiring going to the VSS. On the focus it had a metal pin holding it in. 

The speed sensor on my MK1 focus is faulty. However mine only causes a nearly imperceptable hiccup, when it stops working, and the speedo drops to zero. It'll then seem to do a reset, the odometer turns to four dashes and then returns to life, along with the speedo, a few mins later. 

Mine is a petrol, but I would have thought that the Ecu would be more reliant on the VSS than a diesel. 

23 hours ago, sierraman said:

Can’t really see on those pics, the last picture is the driveshaft output.

The second looks like the feed for the hydraulic clutch. 

If you take the battery and the other crap above it you should be able to see the top of the gearbox, there will be wiring going to the reverse switch and wiring going to the VSS. On the focus it had a metal pin holding it in. 

Only one going into the box is this mate....at the front....this picture appears upside down because i took while on my back under the car

20200719_161553.thumb.jpg.37cf4bae1748a8042e12f97332c501d2.jpg

So I have come to the conclusion that the speed is pulled from the abs sensors and that there is no VSS on the gearbox. So how the heck can it come up with a VSS error if there is no VSS!!!?!? Wiring to all abs sensors is fine....anyhow if it wasnt youd expect the ABS light to be on too.....

DNMS - DOES NOT MAKE SENSE

On the Transit connects of the same age if the car has abs it takes the speed from that and if it doesn't have abs it takes it from the gearbox, could be the same for the Fiesta's. I had issues with one a while ago that the speedo wouldn't work and the guy had changed the ECU to an ABS car while his didn't have ABS

9 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

On the Transit connects of the same age if the car has abs it takes the speed from that and if it doesn't have abs it takes it from the gearbox, could be the same for the Fiesta's. I had issues with one a while ago that the speedo wouldn't work and the guy had changed the ECU to an ABS car while his didn't have ABS

Thanks mate, I have no issues whatsoever with speedo, odometer tacho or whatever. Car used to go into limp mode once in a blue moon. It has got more and more frequent to the point where it is in limp mode as soon as you start it. 

Egr has also been replaced for a new unit too incase it was that. No difference.

Originally you could be driving along at 70mph for an hour, for half an hour, for 5 minutes even, and all of a sudden the car would lose power (youd quickly ditch it on the hard shoulder) the engine would cut out and would normally restart. There has been the odd occasion that it didn't restart the first time but did the second. 

God knows what this is. I looked at the engine earlier, paused and thought to myself I could put my arms around this engine. Somewhere in this tiny little engine there is a problem.....surely it cannot be this bloody hard to find!!! 

2 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

Removed that ^^^^^^

And this was it removed. That ball bit could be pushed in. There was absolutely no swarf stuck to it. It was clean albeit with a thin layer of oil (presumably gearbox fluid) 

20200719_164645.thumb.jpg.4a6f688e16cd011c8183e0028e1a1494.jpg

That is the reverse light switch

22 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

When the engine loses all power do the clocks/radio etc turn off too ?

Nope.....just goes back to ignition stage I.e lights on dash etc 

Could it be a problem with the CAMSHAFT NOT CRANKSHAFT position sensor......if it was that though why the bloody hell does it not flag up a camshaft position sensor error code!!! 

Where is the logic in any of this.... 

Says vss error. Has no vss.