Furlough project - Mondeo Mk2

Austin of England

During these Covid times I was furloughed from work for a few weeks, what to do with this spare time I had? Well my MK2 Mondeo was lurking at the end of the drive with a disintegrated clutch release bearing so I picked up a clutch kit at a reasonable price and thought why not have a go at fixing it. I think its a 4 or 5 spanner job in the Haynes manual and by all accounts its a pig of a job to do on your own on the drive - I do like a challenge

P1210930.JPG

Triumphant pose at gearbox removal stage

P1210935.JPGT

Its very messy in here, result of leaking thermostat housing and brake fluid from the release bearing

P1210936.JPG

P1220012.JPG

Have to admit that pose of a man, his breaker bar, and his gearbox prey is truly inspirational!

I presume it’s a solid clutch in these?  What brand replacement have you got to go in?

Its all back together now and to my amazement it all works fine, I think the job took me about 3 weeks, The bastard part of the job was one of the sub frame bolts, the rear drivers side one, I knew I was in trouble when I put the put the breaker bar on the socket and the head of the bolt broke off. the bolt was seized in the bush, I had to destroy the bush to enable me to remove the subframe, then cut a hole in the floor of the car to cut off the captive nut

P1220014.JPG

21 hours ago, sierraman said:

I hope you swapped the crank end seal, they’re rotten for those going and pissing oil all over the clutch. 

Ahh ....ermm ....hmmm .... didn't know about that, in my defence the flywheel face looked good and felt good with no scoring or wear lip and there was no sign of an  oil leak, so I went with the "it didn't look broke so I won't fix it and potentially break it" and left it well alone

4 minutes ago, Austin of England said:

The rear bumper is undamaged, the front is cracked on the front drivers side corner, araldited back together, no duct tape yet

that's absolutely lovely!

always loved the styling of the mk2

The next major hurdle with this is the ABS. It is combined with traction control on this car and in the last year I was running the car before the MOT lapsed the sometimes the ABS light and the TCS light would not come on at start up and the red brake warning light would be on. You could drive a few miles then the ABS light would flash and the red light would go out and the ABS would be working again,

This got worse until  the brake warning light was on permanently and the ABS was dead. I have replaced the wheel sensors and toothed rings and its still the same, I have a feeling it could be the Electronic control unit that is bolted to the side of the pump, my options are to obtain a second hand one, but there are a few variants about and finding the correct one is proving difficult or I may have to send it away for fixing