Don’t ask me why

JJ0063

After selling the camper, I fancied a mk2 Golf GTI...

Looked for a day or two, got impatient and bought another TD5. Don’t ask.

This one is an Auto which has been remapped and it pulls like a train (m8) 

It’s got 33” tyres so handles terribly and the exhaust I’m pretty sure causes sonic booms, sound barrier breached at redline. Standard exhaust going back on as a matter of urgency.

814-F34-B3-E06-C-4-E29-83-C6-9-CE1-CDA57
image uploader

49-EF58-E8-9-A6-D-4495-B2-B3-417507-B8-A
3-C091617-FC78-40-E7-A59-F-67-AB63-A5290
69008793-BABF-48-DF-913-D-3-D4-C46-A473-
C904-E209-1456-46-B3-A02-F-FF2-DC438-DD2
D6-AB6-ECC-EDFB-42-FA-B2-C2-5-A2-D31-D10

There is a light blue one that nails it past my house all the time - there is a bloody speed bump just out on the road and so he slows down for it but boots it away and feck me its so bloody loud. Don't know what he's done to it.....decatted it I suppose and removed a silencer....??

Yours does look nice.....any sunroof woes? Though the weather has been too good to tell yet!

I skipped the D2 generation, because landrover electrics and cracked blocks oh and rusty chassis lol. These didn’t have a central diff lock did they? Like the D1.... id definitely be reducing tyre size, out of kindness to the wheel bearings. One bonus of the D2 is they look pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Dibble may take a dim view of the tyre/wheelarch skimpiness quotient, especially if their attention is drawn by a carlos fandango exhaust and lairy driving.

This is a fair point. The flat part of the tread must be vertically below the arch, or it falls foul of 'the rules' 

Screenshot_20200713_073647_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.008f304a6ae61eb319eda9343559a762.jpg

I know this from my years as a 'blue forum' member. That's why a lot of modified cars ran stretched tyres, to achieve 'poke' without breaking the rules. 

Of course, this all is a moot point as an individual officer can make a call 'in their opinion' and it is up to the motorist then to prove innocence. That can get messy. Trust me, I ended up with 3 points and a fine many years ago for having no battery clamp - long before it became an MOT item. 

On a positive note, the Discovery looks awesome, and as long as you don't drive like a dick, you shouldn't* have any issues.

*Not a lawyer. 

3 hours ago, Wingz123 said:

There is a light blue one that nails it past my house all the time - there is a bloody speed bump just out on the road and so he slows down for it but boots it away and feck me its so bloody loud. Don't know what he's done to it.....decatted it I suppose and removed a silencer....??

Yours does look nice.....any sunroof woes? Though the weather has been too good to tell yet!

This has a complete turbo back straight pipe and it’s embarrassing at the moment. I volunteer as a 4x4 responder so am getting it sorted ASAP. Can’t exactly be assisting the Police and ULSAR whilst breaking the sound barrier!

2 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Dibble may take a dim view of the tyre/wheelarch skimpiness quotient, especially if their attention is drawn by a carlos fandango exhaust and lairy driving.

It did just pass the MOT with an advisory for them. The pics make them look wider than they are, if you’re stood next to it they look pretty much covered by the arch - I’m not too worried about those, my last one definitely stuck out more and I spent quite a bit of time near Police/emergency services through the aforementioned 4x4 Response.... ?

49 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I skipped the D2 generation, because landrover electrics and cracked blocks oh and rusty chassis lol. These didn’t have a central diff lock did they? Like the D1.... id definitely be reducing tyre size, out of kindness to the wheel bearings. One bonus of the D2 is they look pretty cool. 

This one has it but doesn’t have it plumbed in... to be honest with the green laning/mild off roading I do, I’ve never been in a situation where I thought to myself I need it.. yet. 

41 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

This is a fair point. The flat part of the tread must be vertically below the arch, or it falls foul of 'the rules' 

Screenshot_20200713_073647_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.008f304a6ae61eb319eda9343559a762.jpg

I know this from my years as a 'blue forum' member. That's why a lot of modified cars ran stretched tyres, to achieve 'poke' without breaking the rules. 

Of course, this all is a moot point as an individual officer can make a call 'in their opinion' and it is up to the motorist then to prove innocence. That can get messy. Trust me, I ended up with 3 points and a fine many years ago for having no battery clamp - long before it became an MOT item. 

On a positive note, the Discovery looks awesome, and as long as you don't drive like a dick, you shouldn't* have any issues.

*Not a lawyer. 

I do drive sensibly because it’s sign written for 4x4 Response... hopefully will play in my favour!

IMO (which is worth sod all) are not legal as they protrude, but as said down to an individual occifer. What is deffo illegal is the front number plate, as they have to be vertical. Trouble is a pull for that could result in additional for tyres. I would sort the number plate as a minimum.

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

IMO (which is worth sod all) are not legal as they protrude, but as said down to an individual occifer. What is deffo illegal is the front number plate, as they have to be vertical. Trouble is a pull for that could result in additional for tyres. I would sort the number plate as a minimum.

The plate is definitely illegal as it’s too small and has no markings on it.

I have a legal size/correct marking one on the way but will keep it on the bonnet, it’s something I’ll have to take the chance on - last one never had any issues so fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

In what sense, Police attention?

This was my last one which never had any issues and had smaller arches on the rear:

7-E6-EFA04-EA28-44-A6-9-C5-E-6-C7-CE7-E0

There are several possible reasons. One of the worst scenarios being an accident.

The fact that your last one was illegal is not a defence.

Don't mind me though, I'm only trying to help.

I'm used to it, my son never listens either.

1 hour ago, Mally said:

There are several possible reasons. One of the worst scenarios being an accident.

The fact that your last one was illegal is not a defence.

Don't mind me though, I'm only trying to help.

I'm used to it, my son never listens either.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or having a moan - either way, sorry if it’s offended you!

Im 99.9% sure the tyres are not illegal with the 75mm wide arches on. The photos certainly make it look wider than it actually is. Appreciate the concern either way but I’ll take the chance on them.

If I got a conviction for running this setup, I hold my hands up then as to me it’s just about right in terms of coverage.

DA626-C62-FFC2-4-CF4-BBD4-9932224-BFCC9.
4-E04068-A-5-EA0-4751-A62-A-AF1-A1021585

Exhaust has been sorted today, factory back box fitted and it sounds ten times better now! Front bumper/number plate is next on the agenda.

• 3 weeks later...

I like that! These are rapidly becoming the thinking man's Defender*

*As in an increasing number of men (and they're invariably men)  are thinking, why pay four or five times as much cash for a Defender which is not much better off road, is way worse on road, is a massive theft risk, and has a cab interior designed in the late 60s? 

Incidentally are the wide tyres ok off road? I do/ have done lots of off road work and tend to favour narrow tyres like the 7.5 inch wide tyres on my Series IIA. My experience of wide tyres on crew cab pickups and the turf tyres my old mowing tractors had was they tended not to bite into the soil and often spun and lost traction on the soil surface.  Also how are they for road use too, steering feel etc?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Arthur Foxhake said:

Arthur Foxhake likes this very much!

Where are you taking it? My Hilux looks similar at the moment but it's only been on tarmac on the local country lanes. They've been carting maize and all the verges are cut up to fuck and spread all over the roads. :-)

Thetford Forest... miles and miles and miles of lanes to explore legally!