Mrs Suttys crusty orange Mini project, no longer crusty or orange.

sutty2006

I like the proper Mini, to hoon around in, but I hate working on them: had a few mates had them in years gone by, and muggins here was far too willing to fix stuff for beer. The single most obstinate, vampiric, injurious make of car it's been my mission to wield (imperial) spanners at. There's probably still bits of Mini rust in my body somewhere even after the best part of 30 years...

Therefore I follow this thread with interest. Cos it's not my problem. Good luck and may the Gods Of Shite be merciful upon thee.

2 hours ago, 1duck said:

i didn't see the dog on first run through, so scrolled back up assumed you were all referring to this picture and was wondering how the hell you could tell the size of the dog from just that picture:

420DFA59-471F-4D95-A5FD-3E47589DF1FE.jpeg

Then I scrolled further up and noticed the absolutely huge dog that had been there the whole time: 

The tail in this picture does not correspond to the dog in the other picture. Infact it belongs to our other shepherd Kento whom passed away in February of last year. Long rest his soul. 

more work has been done today. Drive shafts disconnected. Gear linkage disconnected. Engine is ready to remove but there’s no lifting eyes so tomorrow will be making something up then drag that iron lump out. 

My track record with lifting engines isn’t very good. That’s why I employ a 2 ton engine hoist to do the donkey work.

have got a replacement kit for the dizzy to convert to electric instead of points. Infact we were given a box full of new parts a few years ago from a friend. 

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Do you have a three foot long screwdriver? I seem to recall there's one hose clamp that's impossible to reach without one but that might be the late fuel injection ones

That'd be a later one. It would have been way beyond the BL special tools capability in t'early days.

You could knock the CV joint off the driveshaft with a drift. 

How did you separate the pot joints at the diff?

If you left the pot on the driveshaft and the boots are intact I'd be tempted to leave the driveshafts resting on the subframe where they pass through if it's a couple of miles.

If you split the pot joint and left the pot half on the diff output shafts then I wouldn't as you'll end up spinning the ball bearings all over the road. 

Knocking the outer CV joint off might be awkward with the hub attached but undoing the unfeasibly tight castleated nut without the driveshafts connected to the engine will be very challenging.

Right o. Just pry bared the drive shafts out of the diff with ease. 

Front inner wings look frilly 

8EB1BB02-0390-4412-9749-C3DBC85A588E.thumb.jpeg.7b9fded753a8bcce65317002d73d1a81.jpeg

A41B6A92-8087-42D4-B8B1-AB38E0173777.thumb.jpeg.e6ccb5622aa9061d5771ea45652aeb53.jpeg

4/10 for previous owner fitting naff chrome GB badge not central. Took 3 seconds to extract that. Along with all the chavvy stickers. Yes technically rust is lighter than carbon fibre, but it’s not usually a good thing on a mini

BCDA87A7-38AB-4AAE-BA42-60987F8FA149.thumb.jpeg.f981c1769432f5193cf4d5b58a79ea18.jpeg

and evidence of previous repairs, done badly, and need doing again. Cheers  

10F8908D-B5E7-47A5-A708-4041EFBE8891.thumb.jpeg.683af657894baf8ae4f73122caf4d330.jpeg

rust. Plenty of it. 

73560EB5-7805-415E-A53D-48D2681C6E6A.thumb.jpeg.a5177f8edfd1249c3461484588d87501.jpeg

11 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Right o. Just pry bared the drive shafts out of the diff with ease. 

Make sure the boots are ok and secure as the bearing cage and balls are attached to the driveshaft and the pot just slides over. It will now only be held in place by the rubber boot. 

1 minute ago, sutty2006 said:

We MIGHT be going to look at another Mini tomorrow. With a 1275 engine..... that’s already had the welding done. For a grand. Watch this space. 

Buy it, it’s a bargain. Even a scruffy 1275 engine is silly money these days. I have been selling my ‘collection’ off. The last one was stripped down so could be seen to be ok and just needed a refresh. That made just shy of £400 on eBay. No carb, no manifold, no ancillaries.

We have done a buy. 

1990 (possibly earlier he can’t remember) mini classic. Needs welding but not as much as the cement mixer orange one. 
1275 engine bored to 1380 with uprated pistons, shiney new rocker arms lots of shiney expensive engine parts. 
mint front subframe. Crusty but ok rear. 
mint restored doors. 
all the panels needed to finish. 
All the glass, 

no seats or interior, not bothered. 
Adjustable front lower arms. 
plus lots more. All for a grand. 
guy was doing it up as a race car but has too many projects yada yada yada. 

5F772E5A-89E2-4DC7-8BA9-1A600BB4BF3C.jpeg

10 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

We have done a buy. 

1990 (possibly earlier he can’t remember) mini classic. Needs welding but not as much as the cement mixer orange one. 
1275 engine bored to 1380 with uprated pistons, shiney new rocker arms lots of shiney expensive engine parts. 
mint front subframe. Crusty but ok rear. 
mint restored doors. 
all the panels needed to finish. 
All the glass, 

no seats or interior, not bothered. 
Adjustable front lower arms. 
plus lots more. All for a grand. 
guy was doing it up as a race car but has too many projects yada yada yada. 

5F772E5A-89E2-4DC7-8BA9-1A600BB4BF3C.jpeg

Why was your other mini parked up next to it?

No going back now can't wait to start building the engine and helping my dad with jigsaw of building the front end up. My first car was a mini. And our wedding cars last year was the 3 Italian job mini I absolutely adore them. This will be my chance to have my dream mini. And hopefully get the hubby aka Mr Sutty on board and finally fall in love too ??❤️

IMG_20190929_102946.jpg