12 months in with a 2007 Mercedes E280 CDI

Wack

Next question how does this bloody key open 

It could be a key problem as mine is working fine but hers still has problems 

I've found tutorials to get into the battery compartment but both my keys are different 

They say remove the mechanical key and press it into the hole opposite the slot only typically my keys are different, there is no hole opposite the slot , just the sprung plastic clip that holds the mechanical key in 

Also they appear to be different to the keys in the youtube video in that the lever to remove the mechanical key is on the bottom not the top

I'm starting to wonder if I've got some sort of prototype as the michelin wiper blades didn't fit the arms without modification despite their insistence they did , I had to cut 2 lugs off 

20200904_095112.jpg

20200904_095303.jpg

20200904_095310.jpg

20200904_095315.jpg

Arse 

We're currently on a tour of Yorkshire in the E280 , well it's a tour from a static point which I've just found out is the old butlins filey site , our rented static caravan is sited where the chalets used to be which is making me feel a bit nostalgic as we came here a few times late 60s-early 70s 

84098888_Screenshot_20200910-170442_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2758bc0bde9d7727f928ea6d0bdda87f.jpg

anyway , drove down to Flamborough head this afternoon , on the way back a fucking rock thrown up by a truck put a whacking great chip in the screen  right in the annoying spot, it looks like it's going to spread too so it might want a screen which won't be cheap as rain sensing and tinted, insurance renews in 10 days so I suppose I may as well claim now ? 

If you're still trying to open the key fob, try removing the mechanical key and sliding the spring-loaded nub (that holds it in place) towards the hole, in the direction of the arrow visible in your pic. You should then be able to slide the whole core of the key out from its metal sleeve.

Your car was right on the cusp of the facelift; it has some of the later exterior updates but the pre-facelift interior. That stereo was replaced with a version with a colour screen and bluetooth. Amusingly, when I was selling these, two brothers came in and bought a pair of E-Classes at the same time, and when they turned up one was a facelift and one wasn't. I thought the shit would hit the fan but fortunately the brother who got the pre-facelift said he preferred it.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:15 PM, RoadworkUK said:

If you're still trying to open the key fob, try removing the mechanical key and sliding the spring-loaded nub (that holds it in place) towards the hole, in the direction of the arrow visible in your pic. You should then be able to slide the whole core of the key out from its metal sleeve.

Your car was right on the cusp of the facelift; it has some of the later exterior updates but the pre-facelift interior. That stereo was replaced with a version with a colour screen and bluetooth. Amusingly, when I was selling these, two brothers came in and bought a pair of E-Classes at the same time, and when they turned up one was a facelift and one wasn't. I thought the shit would hit the fan but fortunately the brother who got the pre-facelift said he preferred it.

Thanks i'll try that with the key

It does seem odd it's mid facelift , it was a demonstrator before the guy I bought it from had it ,

You'd think there would be a cutoff point on the production line, 99 pre facelift ,100 facelift not a combination of both 

It seems to have a lot of tech for a 2007 car 

Auto lights

Auto wipers

Dual climate

2 electric heated seats

Electric folding mirrors

Front & rear parking sensors

Xenon lights 

Cruise control with speed limiter 

Ambient lighting

I remember when mercedes came with 5 seats and a steering wheel , everything else was an option

In the 90s i delivered stuff to mercedes truck prep centre in barnsley

One of the guys was really excited about getting a new mercedes on a staff deal £100 a month but you had to keep it under 6000 miles and give it back after a year

When it came he wasn't happy , radio , no cassette player 

His kids were small , he went to put the child locks on the back doors but there was just a hole so he rang the dealer , child locks were an option 

• 1 month later...

Now it's getting dark earlier I've found something else I didn't know it had 

As you turn a corner lights come on at the front corners to light up the road as you go round the bend then go out again when you straighten the wheel 

Still loving it just as much as the day I got it 

I’ve just ordered a tuning box for it , I like it that much it’s a keeper and while 187bhp is good , more would be better  so I’ve gone for a synergy 3 at £135 with a 10% discount off the £150 rrp

reviews look good and you can fiddle with it between torque & power 

https://www.tuning-diesels.com/synergy-3

25 minutes ago, Wack said:

I’ve just ordered a tuning box for it , I like it that much it’s a keeper and while 187bhp is good , more would be better  so I’ve gone for a synergy 3 at £135 with a 10% discount off the £150 rrp

reviews look good and you can fiddle with it between torque & power 

https://www.tuning-diesels.com/synergy-3

I'd either get a proper remap or not bother, these are just cheating the sensors and not the correct way to 'tune' a car.

• Wack changed the title to 6 months in with a 2007 Mercedes E280 CDI

Still loving it 

Though today it lashed it down , walking away from the car the front inner lights were flickering as were the dash clocks 

I unlocked and locked it again but still the same so started it up and took it for a drive , got back and normality resumed , all OK

I wonder if something got damp. There was standing water everywhere 

• 3 months later...

9 months in and this car has really fucked me :D

I like driving it a lot

it's good on fuel

reliable , costs in 6000 miles have been a pair of wiper blades

Mrs wack has got used to it's massiveness / likes it

How can I ever replace it when it ticks so many boxes :(

If it was an estate or a hatchback it'd be perfect , the only problem is the seats don't even fold down so it's not much of a load lugger

My days of buying and selling a car in a few months may be over, I keep looking at stuff and thinking why it won't be as good as the E280 , I'm doomed 

Once I've run out of Xantias I will be buying one of these next. Really pleased to hear how good it has been to you, it's helped me make up my mind for when the time comes! I am hoping to get another year out of the xantia before retiring it from daily duties and putting it in storage. 

Please keep the updates coming! 

It should have an aux in socket in the glove box. If it hasn't, there's normally a feed for Aux In tucked under the passenger sill plate and the lead to feed it to the glove box is only a few quid from MB.

If you look in the settings menu on the radio it should have an aux option. My S203 has it. 

• 1 month later...

Nothing to report other than the suspension is still creaking

I'm taking it for MOT next week , anybody know if this is just an EGR 

The Petronas oil checker asks if it's got a dpf fitted , there's nothing in the spec further up the thread than mentions dpf so I'm assuming not 

1328325453_Screenshot_20210410-182423_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4f83b4f71445aba7af979c6cf1536958.jpg

Is it the front suspension creaking?   Mine creaked which I couldn't locate then turned into a creak and chatter which I still couldn't pinpoint. Eventually on the third time of pulling, pushing, prising and generally riving about it turned out to be the ball joint on the arm coming from the front of the arch. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 9:30 PM, spike60 said:

Is it the front suspension creaking?   Mine creaked which I couldn't locate then turned into a creak and chatter which I still couldn't pinpoint. Eventually on the third time of pulling, pushing, prising and generally riving about it turned out to be the ball joint on the arm coming from the front of the arch. 

He had a good poke about on the MOT but there was nothing obvious ,it's had new wishbones on the front at some point 

the service checker thing is still showing 6000 miles away so I'm going to adopt the , 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach 

MOT passed , he commented how clean it was under there 

On 7/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, Wack said:

Only one disappointment , on another forum a guy asked if I'd found the secret electric CD player access, touch the silver button and you get Bentley style electric access to the 6 disc CD player

57A31EB8-067C-45A1-A802-E833611AF8CE.jpeg

Not on the peasant edition you don't , you get a box to hide your pound coins in

20200629_113651.jpg

Mine had once belonged to the police force and had a gunsafe in that position. of even came with the combination!! 

On 11/15/2020 at 9:01 PM, Wack said:

Still loving it 

Though today it lashed it down , walking away from the car the front inner lights were flickering as were the dash clocks 

I unlocked and locked it again but still the same so started it up and took it for a drive , got back and normality resumed , all OK

I wonder if something got damp. There was standing water everywhere 

I believe the front SAM unit on these is on passenger side of the engine bay under the fuse box, when they get wet it can cause weird faults with the lights etc.

here is a pic of the SAM unit of my 07 GL320, that corrosion was causing the passenger side sidelight to stay on permanently and no rear brake lights or interior lights.

Once I cleaned it, everything worked perfectly 

1F68D666-4A18-465A-BA01-815D730F886F.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of days ago there was a noise and a sound like something hitting the road , car didn't drive any different so I assumed I'd run something over 

Yesterday I was stood next to it and it send bddddoiinnngggg from the back so I think the bit of spring that broke fell off and it's relocated itself , doesn't drive any different but it's booked in for new springs and a service 

The front springs are known to break when stood.

I returned from holiday and thought someone had turned mine into a low rider as both of the front springs had snapped. 

I honestly though someone must have been using it, until I had a read up and found it was a common occurance.

There’s a couple of ball joints on the front that should also be considered consumables. I have the tool to remove and replace if required.

Done a few years working at a Mercedes main dealer before the allure of going offshore got to me but E- classes were a very common sight with snapped front springs , just make sure you get the correct colour code match from the springs if your going oem as there used to be lots of different combinations . Ball joints were at one point a recall item and you were usually changing them on a daily basis and a good point to check for your creaking , but if memory serves me right the ball joints are splined into the lower arms so need pulling/pressing into place on the car to save removing the arm