Alfa 166 - worthy of its own thread - Quick update

Cookiesouwest

1 hour ago, Kringle said:

That sounds like the brake as opposed to bearings, especially if it stops when pressed is there much meat on the pads?

No idea, car got delivered to garage this afternoon and I forgot to check.

Also managed to leave my phone in the car. Managed to cobble together a spare key from the bits @andyberg gave me. Thank god, cause phone was very much on display for the local crack heads lol

6 minutes ago, andyberg said:

What's the name of your new you tube channel? ?Good luck today, I really wish it was me taking her through the MOT. I miss wafting along in her.

Cookie of chod towers :)

You can waft around to your hearts content next week, as long as I can get her road legal by then - will have the verdict by 5pm

MOT results are in. Failed. Badly

Rear tyre, cut to inside sidewall

Both steering rack gaiters (one missing, one split)

Rear anti roll bar insecure

Rear nearside brakes excessively binding

All brake pipes excessive corrosion

All brake hoses degraded

On the plus side, the sidelights I fixed Sunday passed :)

Safe to say, if I get all of it fixed the budget is truly blown to bits.

Decisions, decisions

To be honest that's pretty good for an Alfa other than the brake pipes which have probably been degrading for ages. It can be a bit of a lottery at this end of the market with them and I've found out to my peril that. They're great when they work and I wish I had the money/working space to keep one permanently on fleet as I still lament selling my 156 V6 (and the 2.4 10v). 

Good luck with your decision!

My first step would be another MOT station. "Excessively corroded" brake pipe and "Badly cracked" brake hose are very subjective statements and it may be that another technician/station will not give a flying Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo as long as there are no brake fluid leaks. Anyway, this sounds more like a lot of work than a lot of dough spent on material. Changing brake pipes and hoses is time-consuming PITA, but the prices of spare parts are not prohibitive.

3 hours ago, Bitzer said:

My first step would be another MOT station. "Excessively corroded" brake pipe and "Badly cracked" brake hose are very subjective statements and it may be that another technician/station will not give a flying Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo as long as there are no brake fluid leaks. Anyway, this sounds more like a lot of work than a lot of dough spent on material. Changing brake pipes and hoses is time-consuming PITA, but the prices of spare parts are not prohibitive.

To be fair, the brake lines and hoses have been advisories for last couple of years, so they are probably due. The garage I use don't do the MOT's, so they are honest. I'm only worried as I had a tight budget, which I will now exceed by a considerable margin. Plus once she is sorted she will be too expensive for a roffle,  if Andy doesn't have her back.

10 hours ago, Yoss said:

To be fair to the thing, if you count all the brake pipes and hoses as one job, which it would be when doing it, then it doesn't look so bad. 

Won't be much labour cost for hoses, as they would have to come off to do the pipes, so yes, as you say I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I just got a bit of a shock at the number of major fails and impact on my budget. But I've calmed down now. Plus management likes the car, so she isn't too bothered about melting the credit card.

Garage called. All in, with a budget tyre the quote is £365.

I've authorised the work and hopefully will have car back by Friday with new ticket on it.

Total cost for car is now running at

Purchase - 300

New front tyres - 104

4 bulbs - 18

Getting mot sorted - 365

Total - 787

Not as bad as I feared, but probably makes it too expensive to roffle, if Andy doesn't have it back.