1984 Suzuki SJ410

DavidB

Sj410 have no anti roll bars front or rear.

I think sj 413 have front roll bars.

Sj410 all have transmission hand brake which is rubbish at best even after adjustment . Mine always fails 1st time on mot test until i point out to tester it has transmission hand brake.

Sj 413 have normal hand brake to each rear wheel 

My cruising speed is 50 mph, any more and any changes of direction or heavy braking gives a moment  of reflection of life.

Speed bumps and pot holes are alarming for passengers as whole car bounces and shakes.

Very reliable engines that need thrashing everywhere, especially up hills, also very thirsty on fuel for a 998 cc engine.

Suspension is only connected in 2 points at each wheel to whole car, well worth upgrading original rubber bushes to poly bushes as does help a little to stop sea sickness.

I love mine 

Good to see one of these still about. My old mans firm had one that I used to abuse on occasion when I was in my teens. I used to tear it round the fields and launch it off the cattle grid on the approach to the house at 40+mph. How it never ended up on its side or upside down will forever elude me. Such revvy little things and ime totally unburstable. Enjoy :-)

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 12:02 AM, DavidB said:

Ill end up liking it once I have it cleaned up, they’re unbelievably cute in un-OLLO’d form, and I want to get it back to factory spec, with normal wheels and some kind of carpeting on the floor, you can still buy every part new from rubber flooring, speedo units to body panels from India, as they had the Maruti Gypsy, they might still be making it today.

Looks like they stopped making the Gypsy last year - details, and some history, here - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/auto/cars-uvs/its-end-of-road-for-the-iconic-maruti-gypsy/popular-choice/slideshow/68283360.cms

The Gypsy may/will be replaced by the new style, ultra-hip, Jimny.

69th Republic Day dress rehearsal: A sneak peek of the parades ...

On 7/5/2020 at 5:01 PM, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Any excuse for a moody pic

20200118_091300.thumb.jpg.ef738e9f0ffa53a50b0489064ea941c4.jpg

Don't get tempted to raise suspension with longer spring shackles,  they really ruin on road handling and for general offroading are a waste of time,  standard sj suspension with suitable tyres are very capable off road. 

I won’t be raising it at all, I have the original skinny wheels, I think I’ll do a DIY refurb and put the tyres from the current Vitara ones it has on.

Drove 120 miles to pick up a new drivers door (with glass) and rear door, but on planned arrival the seller sends me a message saying he’s gone out and won’t be back until late. I hate some people!

i changed all the fluids in the front, rear and centre transfer box and grrring noise still remains. I can’t tell if it’s front, centre or rear, but I think I’ll check and get some new UJ’s before I get a replacement transfer box. I think there’s a decent car under there as it doesn’t drive that badly.

6 hours ago, DavidB said:

I’ve not done any research but Minimad on here has a 1.6 from a Suzuki Swift GTi and SJ five speed box doing nothing. I think it came from an SJ originally, it’s running motorbike carbs. What’s needed for the swap?

A bumper pack of new underpants? I reckon anything over 70hp in a SJ would be terrifying.

Swift gti is a twin cam 1.3, same bottom end as the 413/samurai so 

Dizzy out the back of the head clashes with bulkhead there used be a dizzy mod to clear it or modify the bulkhead, chassis mounts differ from 410 to 413,  you might be able to drag up a few old threads online of people having done it in the past. 

42 minutes ago, DavidB said:

I won’t be raising it at all, I have the original skinny wheels, I think I’ll do a DIY refurb and put the tyres from the current Vitara ones it has on.

Drove 120 miles to pick up a new drivers door (with glass) and rear door, but on planned arrival the seller sends me a message saying he’s gone out and won’t be back until late. I hate some people!

i changed all the fluids in the front, rear and centre transfer box and grrring noise still remains. I can’t tell if it’s front, centre or rear, but I think I’ll check and get some new UJ’s before I get a replacement transfer box. I think there’s a decent car under there as it doesn’t drive that badly.

If the free wheeling hubs are unlocked the front prop won't be under any load so the noise won't be from there. 

Shove the T box into neutral the gearbox in to second and get the T box spinning and you may hear the noise, 

If the box is very noisey the thickest gear oil and a substantal blob of molyslip has done before on boxes that are a bit noisey.

I’ve not changed the gearbox fluid - when I drained the others, the fluid wasn’t new but it didn’t have any metal particles in it (in the light). I’ll give that a change tomorrow.

Ill try that neutral trick and try changing the fluid - I hope the person before me didn’t turn the lock on the front hubs and forgot, I’ll have to check.

My friend had one for a bit. Was fun. What killed it was the propshaft breaking free from the back of the gearbox and smashing the shit out of the underside... He'd bought it to do the mongol rally in and they got a transit connect to do it instead 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:30 AM, Asimo said:

That is everything the new LandRover Defender should be.

It sounds like everything the old one was, well the one I bought anyway , as I found out,one owner from new and low mileage isn't good news if that one owner is farmer giles and the low mileage is all off road, up to it's axles in cow shit pulling tree stumps out.

Letting the clutch out any movement was a good second away as all the slack in the drivetrain had to be accounted for , I picked it up from Cambridge , managed one junction on the M6 in the pissing rain before hitting the A roads , it was terrifying , couldn't go over 50 as it was at least 1/2 turn of the steering wheel before anything happened at the tyres.

Good luck with the suzuki , at least it's not killed you on the journey home, I've learned a lesson after the mini, buy the best example you can find because you'll spend more making a shite one as good as the best one.

Sounds very knocky, I'd take tbox to gearbox prop off and have a feel of the ujs. With this off repeat the process just to confirm the tbox is the culprit for the noise and not the gearbox.

Have a feel of the input flange and check for play on the input bearing. 

If you don't want to be underneath reach up around stuff you can whip the tbox gaiter out and access the drive flange through there from inside the car. 

It’s in quite good nick, I thought it was really shit for the first 30 miles, but getting used to it I started to like it. It’s slow, which is a blessing as the brakes are crap, the windscreen wipers are tiny and take their time to rub themselves across the screen, and the transfer box makes a horrible noise (see above) but that’s all fixable. I’ve been looking at ones for sale/breaking and Jesus, there are some rough ones out there.

23 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Swift gti is a twin cam 1.3, same bottom end as the 413/samurai so 

Dizzy out the back of the head clashes with bulkhead there used be a dizzy mod to clear it or modify the bulkhead, chassis mounts differ from 410 to 413,  you might be able to drag up a few old threads online of people having done it in the past. 

Pretty sure i have the dizzy mounted on some fancy aluminum gear, as Dave pointed out - It did come out of an SJ (But bloke i got it from wanted to drop in a Vitara engine)

I snapped a bolt in the inlet changing the thermostat, it took half an hour taking this lot off, very easy.

B6012CC9-CB72-46AF-9B0C-417FF3FB6F73.thumb.jpeg.d2197fa5d533d70571b9860bef48d304.jpeg

The snapped stud will have to be drilled out, I’ll clean stuff up and replace the majority of the stuff with new stuff.

E8278318-70F1-44F3-AE3D-2779356FBEDA.thumb.jpeg.5bbfb17fca07fc754a9f5be0f882b810.jpeg

I’m having random overheating issues which I assume is down to draining and air locks. Radiator is clean inside though.

On 05/07/2020 at 15:36, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Great taste, real driving experience  

Here is my 1986 410sj. Parked next to his great grand son.

20191111_095305.thumb.jpg.8713ab94de0bd9f04f7e9167d3d9bd5a.jpg

Wow, they're exactly the same size and shape! Kudos to Suzuki and their small cars, even that new Ignis looks like a Whizzkid, I love what they're doing.

On 09/07/2020 at 23:15, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Damn this thing looks rough. Good on you for taking it on!!!! Theres one festering on a driveway a mile or so down my road, arches look a bit sad on it mind.

As with most of these, they've either been off-road or on a farm, and they're shagged, or they've been looked after and they're a few thousand. This was just shy of £1k, and I can't find an MOT'd SJ for less than a grand, so I think I got "lucky". Everything is shagged on it, but it's fairly easy to fix. Even the body metal is single skinned (and flat) everywhere, hence their minus 5 crash rating. The previous owner said he spent less than an hour changing the clutch. The simplicity of it means it feels like you're driving a 9v powered sardine tin. I think it's currently much less than it's 45bhp from the factory, and I have to sort it out. :(

TBH, I can not get parts for this.

Have a genuine love of the smol Suzuki jeeps. Simplify, then add lightness. Even the new Jimny runs on the same philosophy. 

I wonder how much damage that botched American report did to the sales potential of the SJ in the UK because when they're sorted, they're an alright drive (alright been relative and should only be compared to other off roaders with solid axles). Not that Top Gear helped with the trope of them falling over when cornering. 

Watching this with interest, good luck with it. I'm on my second Jimny but I use it far less than I should. 

On 7/7/2020 at 6:04 PM, Andyrew said:

Sounds very knocky, I'd take tbox to gearbox prop off and have a feel of the ujs. With this off repeat the process just to confirm the tbox is the culprit for the noise and not the gearbox.

Have a feel of the input flange and check for play on the input bearing. 

If you don't want to be underneath reach up around stuff you can whip the tbox gaiter out and access the drive flange through there from inside the car. 

Just to check - do you know which TC this is, and whether it would fit mine?

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/90678030_3092013964151628_4204468280624152576_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=3b2858&_nc_ohc=KH_aZVsAT2UAX9yQD4Z&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=22ccf565ec4c0e684c2f3b3a562f0ea6&oe=5F2D6AA9

90678030_3092013964151628_4204468280624152576_o.jpg

2 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Flange on the rear would mean it's a samurai one, the flange can be removed and the drum brake fitted. The mounting holes sometimes need tapping.

Would it be an appropriate purchase (direct swap) for my heap?

Malia '96 on a Tewnty's holiday with half a dozen mates. The rep booked 10 SJ's with the owner to do a jeep safari day, With us in 3 pairs in 3 of them.

I was 24, in my prime and a bit of a wrongun. I've never been in a car that could take so much abuse. We were literally playing dodgems with them while the rep was encouraging us. All in a line bashing into each other screaming the engines and riding the clutches. The owner was in the front jeep screaming at us 'Don't fucka ma jeeep!!' I was driving and deliberately going off the tarmac and bouncing it off boulders through ditches etc.

It was kind of a pub crawl where we'd stop every hour or so in a tavern or cafe and have a beer or two.

The abuse of the cars in 38 degree heat got worse as the day went on and they never flackered. The owner must have aged 10 years that day. I wonder where the photos went.

1 hour ago, DavidB said:

Would it be an appropriate purchase (direct swap) for my heap?

It will fit into yours.

The gearing if it's a samurai unit will be a bit off for the 410 and make it marginally slower on acceleration. But you won't know untill you confirm what ratio the knackered one in  yours is  currently.

If the price is right and it's a known good one I'd nab it.