2002 Renault Clio II 172

SiC

34 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

Happy to come over and we can do the paint and interior if you'd like.

Definitely need to arrange a time! Got some time off next week if you're free. Need to check with Mrs SiC we're not doing anything with the time off, but should be ok. ?

Just finished up polishing the car. Unfortunately it's gone dark so photos will have to be tomorrow - if it doesn't rain!

This accidentally fell out and came unplugged...

IMG_20200714_221257.thumb.jpg.088cea8720fe2c543b15d974bc6d6d57.jpg

Wasn't actually screwed or attached onto anything, just resting on top of the glove box. Might actually fix a rattle now. 

Don't trust these things, especially as they age. Apparently on the 2003 on they were linked into the CAN bus and would refuse to allow the car to start unless deactivated. So removal required reprogramming the body computer. 

18 minutes ago, SiC said:

Just finished up polishing the car. Unfortunately it's gone dark so photos will have to be tomorrow - if it doesn't rain!

Wasn't actually screwed or attached onto anything, just resting on top of the glove box. Might actually fix a rattle now. 

Don't trust these things, especially as they age. Apparently on the 2003 on they were linked into the CAN bus and would refuse to allow the car to start unless deactivated. So removal required reprogramming the body computer. 

That looks interesting, what is it? Immobilizer?

41 minutes ago, SiC said:

Welcome to my world..

26 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

That looks interesting, what is it? Immobilizer?

Immobiliser is built into the UCH. 

4 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Welcome to my world..

I probably should have said it as "accidentally". Tempted to remove the rest of the system. Pretty wanky install to be honest. Apparently fitted at the port when they came into the country and not factory fit. 

Always amused me how they fitted these with a steering wheel the size of a bus. Looks an honest car.

I went to buy a black 182 about 10/11 years ago now from a dealer in Halifax (which should have told me all I needed to know) but when I looked over it, the tailgate didn’t fit right and the boot floor was all rippled. I ended up with a rough Civic Type R instead, as I was without a car and that happened to be in stock as well. I always liked how kitted out these clios were, I know everyone fawned over the cup versions but they were utterly shit inside.

Always amused me how they fitted these with a steering wheel the size of a bus. Looks an honest car.
I went to buy a black 182 about 10/11 years ago now from a dealer in Halifax (which should have told me all I needed to know) but when I looked over it, the tailgate didn’t fit right and the boot floor was all rippled. I ended up with a rough Civic Type R instead, as I was without a car and that happened to be in stock as well. I always liked how kitted out these clios were, I know everyone fawned over the cup versions but they were utterly shit inside.
It's the seats that are a massive turn off for me on the Cup. Trophy is just as sparten but at least they put the fancy Recaros up front. Also still got ABS (iirc TC too) which the early 172 cups didn't.

The fanboys get all moist over a Cup but I think the interior is one of the most grim I have ever seen.

The standard 172 interior is decent and you get a fair few toys. Renault didn't hold back for this model.  The dash still looks a bit crappy but so do most small cars of the time.

The only thing mine didn't have was cruise control but I've never got on with that kind of thing anyway.

6 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

The fanboys get all moist over a Cup but I think the interior is one of the most grim I have ever seen.

They really are awful aren’t they!

I think the Recaros in the trophy were the same as those in the Megane R26? If so, I reckon they’re the best seat I’ve ever had in a car. What* an accolade. Pinned you in place and somehow kept you very comfy whilst doing so. 

13 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

The standard 172 interior is decent and you get a fair few toys. Renault didn't hold back for this model.  The dash still looks a bit crappy but so do most small cars of the time.

The only thing mine didn't have was cruise control but I've never got on with that kind of thing anyway.

Yours possibly didn't have traction control unless someone specced it. Iirc a £750 option. 

Came standard after around 2003. 

Cruise would be useful but not as important for me now as this is for local runarounds. Traction control is something I wish it did have though. Useful reminder when it starts flickering that you're pushing your luck a bit too much. 

Some morning pictures post polish last night. Come out alright. Some lacquer peel on the roof - strongly suspect bird poop that wasn't cleaned off. Renault paint of this era definitely was pretty good. Thick and pretty tough wearing. Almost always polishes up well.

Really only the bumper scuffs that are the worst bits. Quite tempted to rattle can over those bits if I can find a decent source of matching coloured paint.
08195b2d8ada015ce5cf2f19dd3865b6.jpg
b1ef1aa4b65c5c97efadbf73081dc64e.jpg
52f4e414738fc22a47e0f264540cae70.jpg
189252d954db5927215897ebd4d7ca13.jpg

Headlights could do with a fresh polish and then something to protect against UV damage. Also need to remove the limescale deposits from that leaking headlight washer. Probably could do with a new headlight washer yet too to be honest.

Looks brilliant, great work on the polishing. I'd say bar the lacquer peel and the staining from the headlamp washer that's looking grand for a near 20 year old motor.

The headlamp washers on mine had been removed, blanked off rather crudely and no stopper put in the washer bottle so that it held fluid only just long enough to pass an MOT.

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

The headlamp washers on mine had been removed, blanked off rather crudely and no stopper put in the washer bottle so that it held fluid only just long enough to pass an MOT.

You must have a friendly not man, if you have xenon's you have to have washers fitted.

The way to fix the dribble washer jets is to fit one way valves in the piping. Available from Halfords. 

58 minutes ago, bigfella2 said:
You must have a friendly not man, if you have xenon's you have to have washers fitted.
The way to fix the dribble washer jets is to fit one way valves in the piping. Available from Halfords. 

I thought that but reading the latest rules:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-

However as this is a daily driver and runaround, I'm keen to keep them working. Handy when tractors, puddles, salt, etc get the lights filthy.

4.1.6. Headlamp cleaning devices

You must inspect vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with headlamp washers.

Looks brilliant, great work on the polishing. I'd say bar the lacquer peel and the staining from the headlamp washer that's looking grand for a near 20 year old motor.

Camera helps here as pictures lie! First pictures I took when it came back didn't do justice on how dirty it was.

Only used some autoglym super resin polish and did it by hand. Might get the DA polisher out and give that a go at some point.

At least with the Clio there is limited amounts of paint to polish and it's mostly flat surfaces. Unlike the curvy Boxster or classics with plenty of sharp edges in the way!