2002 Renault Clio II 172

SiC

9 hours ago, SiC said:

emoji115.pngemoji115.pngemoji115.pngemoji115.png
emoji1787.png

Lovely colour though. Sparse cup interior, I'd rather have full fat but that's easily fixed if second hand seats can be found.

Saw that. I get why the Cup pack exists but the interiors look utterly dreadful, imo. If that's not important to you, or you are happy to change it, crack on!

I've basically decided I really want a Racing Blue, Artic Blue, Inferno Orange or Liquid Yellow one. Black Gold maybe if it was special (low owners/miles, etc). Despite being someone who has an itchy trigger finger once deciding to get something, I need to wait till something decent comes up. Especially as my intention on this purchase being a long termer. 

Current budget now I think is upto £4k, which seems an awful lot for a Clio II but my fault for not buying sooner... 

7 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Inspect the jacking points on any potential purchase, this was mine, looking up from underneath. That's the front outrigger and inner sill....

IMG_20200420_165229.jpg

I thought you said it was utterly rusted and fucked? ?

12 minutes ago, SiC said:

I thought you said it was utterly rusted and fucked? ?

That was just one bit. The chap that fitted the subframe said it was looking tired underneath and after that I kept thinking about it.

Jacking point on the other side was the same, it's just that I didn't bother to poke it. Sills were a bit suspect elsewhere and even the floor around the handbrake was rusty.

Not beyond salvation though and mechanically it had wanted for absolutely nothing since 2017.

I'd have another but I'd pay more attention to the body as well as the mechanics next time around.

Applying the bullshitometer reading to the condition report based on the 245bhp claims...

It's fucking fuckt.

You needs low pressure turbo to see that sort of figure.

Even with the 197 cams you'd have a strong lump to get north of 200bhp na

6 minutes ago, 320touring said:

They are such a reliable and stable bunch, much like the cars

This is exactly why the ones that survive will be worth 205GTi monies. Also why I need to get one now.

Imagine buying a car having these sort of owner base but worth a lot more - e.g. older M3/M5

5 minutes ago, cort16 said:

Worth a shot. Christchurch is only about 2hrs from here. Bit far on a weekend evening but may request more pictures. 

This would be great if it wasn't silver:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910303843908

Been for sale quite a while now.  

Clio pages have a great* bunch of lads on them.
If I ever have another I won't be joining them!
Haha dunno what your talkin bout bruv. Totally sick cars and proper good crew wiv em. Like I smoked a remapped e90 330d around the twisties earlier mate. Every1 in convoy behind was proper giving a rite laugh at the bimmer. It'll be my new banging splitter working proper gd that the boys said wud.

Looks like it sold as advert had gone. No surprise. Spoke to the guy on the phone before the pictures came up and it sounded like a good 'un. However it's 2.5 hour drive to there from where I am. No chance to have got over there this week until the weekend for me. Hoped it'd get to the weekend before it sold!

He did say I could put a refundable deposit down but I'm not keen on doing that with any dealer and car I've not met in person.

Went to see this today:
spacer.pnga4a613426bd445d98c3a389e2a3aa4df.jpg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003158453624

This one should have been a good one given the price they were asking, however it was off-putting having the "we can do a deal bruv" and "cambelt is with the car and will be done if you buy it" (despite it saying it been done) attitude of the dealer. To be honest I usually wouldn't have bothered seeing it but they really are in short supply now and this was local. The fact the COVID special price of £2k in the pictures but actual £3.2k Autotrader price was off-putting enough. 

It was the rusty bonnet at the front was the final straw. Did say he could have it resprayed but tbh I would never trust a dealer to do that properly, who is trying to make a buck out of a car. I said it was way overpriced and he kept trying to do a deal, not understanding that even with a heavy discount I wasn't interested. 

Good things on it was that it was very stock. Apart from the stereo and random carbon fibre wrap, nothing was visibly modified. Even looked to have an OEM exhaust on - rare. 

I'm in no rush, except this boat appears to be sailing quite quickly away now.

Wasn't too clear on the rusty bonnet. Didn't take pictures, as the dealer wasn't exactly the type that'd like it, but underneath the bonnet at the front was rusty all along. About an inch wide right across.