2002 Renault Clio II 172

SiC

5 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Swaps are usually offered because the car is too shit to sell. 

Define 'shit'... Could be that it's as undesirable in the used car market as a sandwich sneezed on by a COVID carrier. 

Want to swap something for a Laguna II auto? ?

28 minutes ago, DavidB said:

Ahem.

Quite frankly if the Clio bit you on the arse then it serves you right. That BMW was the most mis-represented heap I've ever owned and I've owned some crap. In fact I still rage about swapping it with you most days and I pretty much begged you to swap it back.

As for the condom under the seat, if indeed it's true, it wasn't mine, chance would be a fine thing. Nor were any fast food containers, despite me being a fat fuck.

Karma's a bitch I guess and the Clio, if completely fucked would still be worth more than the scrap man gave me for the POS BMW.

7 hours ago, SiC said:

This is local to me. Happened to walk past it earlier today. Looks decent. Shame silver. :(
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153984655388

Messaged the seller on two questions that are my defacto ones for the Clio. Is it a Cat C/D/S/N and how many owners. I got back:

Hi , 8 previous ,had it two months ?? only selling as now have an 80 mile commute instead of 20 so need something economical. Please see photo of when i did a reg check 2 months ago.

image.png

NEXT!

17 minutes ago, SiC said:

Messaged the seller on two questions that are my defacto ones for the Clio. Is it a Cat C/D/S/N and how many owners. I got back:

image.png

NEXT!

I think you'll struggle to get a low owner count in one of these. They're often bought now as a toy so will get passed on. You need to get a poke around one with someone who knows them to show you what to look for.

I was here today, where bad Clios go to die so others might live.

IMG_20200628_152510559.thumb.jpg.a87eff13f1059725115dbb22b7c4ef6a.jpg

The silver one in the pic was lovely and unmolested but isn't for sale. Yet...

Don't be put off by number of owners, mines on 9 or 10, and it's one of the most sorted 182's out there. 

I don't get why everybody says there difficult to work on, nothing really difficult to do on them, apart from having to partially drop the subframe to do the clutch, but many cars you have to do that.

4 minutes ago, dome said:

I think you'll struggle to get a low owner count in one of these. They're often bought now as a toy so will get passed on. You need to get a poke around one with someone who knows them to show you what to look for.

Depends if I'm after a minter or not. Haven't quite decided yet!

However on that one, current owner bought it apparently on 4th May (but V5 not issued for the current?) and owner before was 19th Apr. That raised the red flag for me.

15 minutes ago, Youngteam said:

Buy an R53 mini instead, they're also a cunt to work on but not quite as bad as the 182. Also not as fast along with worse fuel economy and a shit boot.

I like the R53 and is on the bucket list! Just wish I had unlimited storage. :(

1 minute ago, SiC said:

Depends if I'm after a minter or not. Haven't quite decided yet!

However on that one, current owner bought it apparently on 4th May (but V5 not issued for the current?) and owner before was 19th Apr. That raised the red flag for me.

Ah, yes. Two owners in very quick succession would raise an alarm - unless it’s on Autoshite of course :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

I’m not sure I would worry too much about owner count if there is history etc. 

I’d agree. I can understand wanting a low owner car, and I have no doubt that some are out there, but I’ve owned a few cars with a higher than average number of owners for their age, and so long as the car itself has been good, it’s never worried me too much.

That said, it can obviously also be a sign that a cars bollocked and gets passed on to a new owner every year just before the MOT or some major work needs doing, so make sure you look over it very carefully

(I’m sure that I’m preaching to the choir about this though)

27 minutes ago, dome said:

I was here today, where bad Clios go to die so others might live.

IMG_20200628_152510559.thumb.jpg.a87eff13f1059725115dbb22b7c4ef6a.jpg

The silver one in the pic was lovely and unmolested but isn't for sale. Yet...

Looks like my old one is somewhere in the background.

20 minutes ago, 320touring said:

May I be as bold as to suggest seeing if you can go for a drive in one?

You may hate it:) better find out now before you're Baw deep in injectors/coilpacks/gearboxes/throttle pedals/exhaust hangers/used johnnies/tenners bags of scag

I'm being flippant:)

I don't actually drive that fast anymore. Not least compared to my first car. Poor thing was only a 1.2 16v and I literally nailed it everytime to the red time before gear changing. Unless I was in 5th gear, then I would be VMax'ing it down the M4 as I was getting late for work again...

Part-ex it at 22k miles and the gearchange was buggered. You could put it in third and push the stick far enough over to make it look like it was in first. ?

Anyhow, I'm almost certain I'll like it! Even if its nostaglia being the overriding thing.

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

I don't actually drive that fast anymore. Not least compared to my first car. Poor thing was only a 1.2 16v and I literally nailed it everytime to the red time before gear changing. Unless I was in 5th gear, then I would be VMax'ing it down the M4 as I was getting late for work again...

Part-ex it at 22k miles and the gearchange was buggered. You could put it in third and push the stick far enough over to make it look like it was in first. ?

Anyhow, I'm almost certain I'll like it! Even if its nostaglia being the overriding thing.

thats the thing, though. the reason they are all fucked is cos you DO drive like a cunt in them.

ALL THE TIME. its part of the reason we only have the burd's on fleet now - I feared for my licence. Everything was a gap, and everything a potential overtake.

They're GREAT:) (when working)

I found the driving position really good in both the 172 and 182 I had.

As for the seller above wanting a more economical car I managed to get 52 mpg out of the 172 over a 60 mile trip and a regular 45mpg the rest of the time.

Good luck finding a decent one, they are well worth the effort.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Ha good to know! I saw the wheels and exhaust for sale a while ago and just presumed it had been broken for spares.

Funnily enough that blue one is being used as a donor for another rusty one!