Project Murky Merc

purplebargeken

Am sure it really isn't but it was the best heading I could come up with at this point in time.

Wingz123 is driving this Teutonic bestie down towards the lower end of the country as we speak, his comment was..... it was 'disgusting how well it drives'.  I think he likes it.

EmmPeeGees are around 44 per gallon at a bit over the national speed limit.

Thought that I might as well start a thread.

Wingz123 is going to do an oil and filter change, plus fuel filter over the weekend and I am hopeful that I will do the whole 'Hold out yer 'aaannnnd' thing on Sunday.

First order of work will be to clean the interior, although I am sure it is clean enough. I do this to help find my way around the dash and so on.

Then find some wings and a door.

9 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

Am sure it really isn't but it was the best heading I could come up with at this point in time.

Wingz123 is driving this Teutonic bestie down towards the lower end of the country as we speak, his comment was..... it was 'disgusting how well it drives'.  I think he likes it.

EmmPeeGees are around 44 per gallon at a bit over the national speed limit.

Thought that I might as well start a thread.

Wingz123 is going to do an oil and filter change, plus fuel filter over the weekend and I am hopeful that I will do the whole 'Hold out yer 'aaannnnd' thing on Sunday.

First order of work will be to clean the interior, although I am sure it is clean enough. I do this to help find my way around the dash and so on.

Then find some wings and a door.

Good stuff! I mean disgustingly I didn’t wash it but the interior is relatively clean and tidy! It also has been given a little bit of pink customisation that I didn’t tell you about as a treat!

48 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

FFS, just seen a clip of the pink diamante ignition switch surround. WTAF.

Nice touch I feel. Brings a touch of colour to a dark interior. There was another ‘quirk’ I forgot to mention that’s just come to me. The electric blind was shut when I bought it and opened smoothly.......but then after the roof opened it didn’t work. I meant to try and fettle it as it’s probably just that the roof hasn’t quite sealed shut (it’s deffo water tight) just a heads up before you start pulling things to bits. There is a key for the roof so you can close it manually in the handbook wallet but I didn’t need it to get it shut before. 

Okay, wingz123 of these here pages trundled up to the Arctic Circle, I mean Consett to drop off the Astra and pick up the Merc.

The journey back was reported as being pretty bloody good. 

The Merc stayed in Reading for a little while whilst it's oil, oil filter and fuel filter were changed.  Air filter too maybe, can't recall now. All bloody good stuff anyhow. 

The Merc arrived in its spiritual home of North London and was immediately lost in a sea, nay, an ocean of other Mercs.  I now own one of the most common cars in North London. Yay for me. 

We swapped seats so I could experience the famous Mercedes quality, the sheer torque of the big dizzler motor....... I pulled away and........the car just stopped.  Stopped dead. No idea why.

Oh oh.

Started immediately and has been utterly perfect since. 

The drive home was great, it is a real solid, comfy mile muncher. Cruise control was used to good effect and a tad over 50mpg was seen on the computer display. I've never seen that kind of figure in my life. Well happy.

Parked up and had a good root around. 

Things that need attention:

The two font wings and the drivers door.  Replacements should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I did debate waiting but those panels do need just binning as it ruins the look of the car.

The wheels are a nice shape, they will need refurbishing though.

One tyre (OSF) needs replacing now, the rears will need doing in a couple of thousand miles. 

Glow plug needs replacing.

Some sort of module thingy needs fitting re: SRS warning light, need to find the thing on ebay or something.

The sunroof motor make s loud growling noise but does zip. Will look at options, not vital.

Aircon works but isn't very cold at all, regassing to be actioned.

Parcel shelf needed as this one is absent.

Floor mats required.

Front number plate is cracked.

4 screws holding the rear plate on are rusty and need to go away.

Interior clean and vacuum. 

Scabs on the body work need attending to, nothing really horrible, looks worse than it is.

Good wash, mopping and polish should see it lovely again. 

The list looks long but it really isn't that bad. 

I  am very happy. 

I will keep the pink diamante ignition key surround, I have no issue with it.

So I gave the Merc a service this morning. 

Engine sits quite far back so after removing one underway the words "Goddddammmn!" Were uttered and a secondary slight further back positioned underway had to come off. All held on with 8km bolts which came undone lovely. Has anyone seen the underneath of one of these?? Everything is covered with plastic covers!! I thought engine bays were bad enough these days!! 

Initial injector inspection was good. No black death here and the injectors were spotless as was the area around them. Ken had ordered new copper o rings and stretch bolts on my recommendation for that inevitable occasion they do go and to do them all but I said to just leave in the glovebox for now. Do not disturb them! 

20200628_092254.thumb.jpg.9eec9fbe425a82fe95b3365795cbb204.jpg

Oil filter was unscrewed, and the 3x small o rings changed. 

20200628_093144.thumb.jpg.33f508cdfb77b291d25cd77a056ca103.jpg

Air filter also changed. Judging by the state of the existing one I'd say it was definitely due a service...what d'you reckon??...

20200628_094127.thumb.jpg.0b4deb35084dd88d596a521dc408f9dc.jpg

Fuel filter also changed. Funny one these fuel filters.....impossible to gauge how old/long ago they were changed just by looking at them. I marked up the new one with today's date and current mileage.

Old one...

20200628_100720.thumb.jpg.adb544e6c29f35857fb448f18d9d7db3.jpg

New one once fitted....

20200628_100718.thumb.jpg.a7a80479bf1781a51af8d9ca40689c65.jpg

Plan oil and filter change every 5k and fuel filter and air filter change every 10k. Simples!

Looked clean inside the filler cap...do love these OM611 engines.....the air filter housings are sat on little rubber bushings! RESPECT for over engineering!!

20200628_092306.thumb.jpg.280bafe2bd7baf8060532d2cd5537a5c.jpg

So in conclusion, after today's service on the car the mpg has improved further, the throttle response too and she is smoother the more miles that are driven. I love this car!! 

Oh and one other thing I forgot to mention was the business of filling her up with fresh oil. I knew these engines to take approx 6.5 litres of oil from back in the day when I had a load of w210 e class' as well as my Sprinter which is fitted with the same engine albeit with a different map. These c Class' being for economy whereas my Sprinter probably for torque/power given the fact that it's a van.

No DIPSTICK bar the one in the driver seat!! 

So a trick way involving a sequence of ignition on/off and holding buttons for varying periods brings up a hidden display on the dash that once the engine is started brings up the quantity of oil in the engine via a live readout....

20200628_103652.thumb.jpg.2ad58bb24183e001a5caeb07d6e64c51.jpg

So there you have it. Already greatly improved mechanically. Beautifully smooth and the sort of car that would sit at 100mph all day long on the cruise control. 

4 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

may i draw your attention to this Mr Bargeken

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/ats-euromaster-aircon-recharge-and-clean

39 squids instead of 60 sovs

@95 quid Peugeot and I have also taken advantage of this deal. I took my Corolla Verso down the other day and after approx 45 mins the guy came back out and said I can't get it to blow cold. It must be your compressor. 

Various tests done, new (to me) compressor fitted and am booked back in for 9am on Tuesday. Good gang down there at the Reading one. Wonder how much they'll charge me to just balance the two front tyres quick.....

Havent redeemed my groupon voucher yet either so only paying the once. That was good of them I thought.

4 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

@95 quid Peugeot and I have also taken advantage of this deal. I took my Corolla Verso down the other day and after approx 45 mins the guy came back out and said I can't get it to blow cold. It must be your compressor. 

Various tests done, new (to me) compressor fitted and am booked back in for 9am on Tuesday. Good gang down there at the Reading one. Wonder how much they'll charge me to just balance the two front tyres quick.....

Havent redeemed my groupon voucher yet either so only paying the once. That was good of them I thought.

i took the spaceship cos i realised the ambos were moar kalt!

guy said it had no oil left!

to be fair it aint been touched from new- 1st March 2007!

11 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i took the spaceship cos i realised the ambos were moar kalt!

guy said it had no oil left!

to be fair it aint been touched from new- 1st March 2007!

Yes air compressors normally shut off to protect the compressor when the gas is low as the gas helps push the oil around the system. In other words dont expect to hear the clutch clicking in and out with little gas in the system although in my corolla verso, the type of compressor used is clutch less and relies on a solonoid instead.

Hopefully all will be well on Tuesday at 9am and she'll be good as gold for my trip to Spain in 3 weeks ?

Have been giving the interior a wipe over.  All goid so far. The leather seats are in great condition.  I tried the sun roof reset but to no avail. Sounds like something is grinding in there. It was worth a try.  I was looking at the wheels, they are beyond my ability to refurb, a car and bloke in the same road here knows a guy who does a 25 quid per wheel refurb, so might have a look. The bonnet will need a repaint but it might be a cheaper option to get a replacement.  Number plate bulb purchase tomorrow.