Tim's Fleet - new V70

Cord Fourteener

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Bit late on this one.

If it's anything like the wiper on my MKIV Golf, the rear design is shite.  I had one motor that rusted and seized (rear washer fluid goes through the motor spindle - who thought that was a good idea?).  Replaced it with a second-hand, happened again.  Replaced it with a cheapo and it wouldn't switch off (maybe the relay under the dash?), then eventually got stuck and started smoking on the way to IKEA.  Pulled the fuse, took off the wiper and haven't got around to replacing it.  This was well over a year ago.

Well I don't strictly need to see out of the back all the time...

I think it's the same thing. Our mk4 Polo had a similar,  if a bit more functional wiper that was of a similar design. 

Pulling the fuse is not just a fix, it's a mod😁

26 minutes ago, leanycan said:

Yes it can be bloody addictive. When I had this one. Would leave most things standing at the lights.

It's educational, 190 ps in the BMW was nowhere near as much fun in terms of straight line performance, this 180ish is a real punch in the back at all the revs you're going to be driving at.  The BMW was most fun screaming at 6500 rpm, though the six cylinder meant the power delivery  was better down low, you could rev it from 800 rpm and there was even and smooth power delivery all the way up.

But then the torque numbers say it all. 190ps petrol i6 makes max torque 240nm from 3000 to 4500ish. 180 diesel power makes, from reading up on Celtic Tune who do a similar map for this engine, about 400nm between 2250 and 3000 rpm.

47 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

I think it's the same thing. Our mk4 Polo had a similar,  if a bit more functional wiper that was of a similar design. 

Pulling the fuse is not just a fix, it's a mod😁

It's a way of life with the stupid motor design.  Unfortunately with a flat-backed estate car it's even worse and within ten minutes of cleaning the screen, it's caked with crap again.  One day I will replace it and get it sorted but not until I get so terminally bored that eating my own teeth seems like a good idea.

Even my unmapped Golf is apparently 310nm which is definitely enough to surprise people at the lights.  Especially if it's not raining.  You have to be careful not to kick in the traction control though so really launching it takes a little bit of practice.  400nm would be... highly entertaining.  To say the least.

43 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

It's a way of life with the stupid motor design.  Unfortunately with a flat-backed estate car it's even worse and within ten minutes of cleaning the screen, it's caked with crap again.  One day I will replace it and get it sorted but not until I get so terminally bored that eating my own teeth seems like a good idea.

Even my unmapped Golf is apparently 310nm which is definitely enough to surprise people at the lights.  Especially if it's not raining.  You have to be careful not to kick in the traction control though so really launching it takes a little bit of practice.  400nm would be... highly entertaining.  To say the least.

It is entertaining, certainly. I've had traction complain at me enough in the two days I've had it. 

It really wins because you can use gentle throttle and just get more and more power without having to faff around. 'You want more? I got more. '

2 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

It's a way of life with the stupid motor design.  Unfortunately with a flat-backed estate car it's even worse and within ten minutes of cleaning the screen, it's caked with crap again. 

Actually you can use spoilers to keep the rear screen clean, if you don't mind looking Gangsta. Get a spoiler on the roof, one just below the rear windscreen and you create a separate circulation bubble, separate to that going over the car and separate to that getting drawn up from beneath the car. Looks stupid but serves that purpose. 

39 minutes ago, 155V6 said:

Looks like a great car 😎.If it hadn't been so far away and/or my  Laguna had failed the Mot,it could well have been sitting here.

Haha it still might one day, apparently I saved it from leaving the forum, likewise when it's time I'd much rather keep it in the forum. 

58 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I think the Passat estate makes so much more sense that the Golf estate.  Just that bit bigger.  Many's the time when I wish my Golf had a slightly larger boot...

I can confirm it's massive.  Very good inside, well designed and all that. Drives well for it too. 

400nm never gets boring! Even if, as I did today, only use a tiny percent; Wifey came to the shops with me (only one went in) and noticed it's a different car largely by me giggling and being smug, I used only tiny throttle inputs but the power just keeps coming, any gear at any speed.

35 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

I can confirm it's massive.  Very good inside, well designed and all that. Drives well for it too. 

400nm never gets boring! Even if, as I did today, only use a tiny percent; Wifey came to the shops with me (only one went in) and noticed it's a different car largely by me giggling and being smug, I used only tiny throttle inputs but the power just keeps coming, any gear at any speed.

Although again, you can't actually use it's full potential. I thought I was cruising sedately but got told to slow down. This thing gathers pace. 

Further update: it occasionally suffers hesitation on full throttle.

It is due a new fuel filter but reading up on these engines the main culprit appears to be the MAF.

I'm told that one way to test for this,  without knowing how to prod wires with a multimeter (I have a friend in the village who knows about these things) is to unplug it and see if the problem goes away. If so the MAF, I'm told, is at fault. 

Begs the question though, if it will run better without one, why do I need one?

It’ll run a default throttle position map which will affect fuel economy and oil lifespan. Arguably if you’re not doing millions of miles probably not enough of an issue to care.

How much is a MAF? 40-50 tops?

May be worth giving it a clean I use brake cleaner but people like the dedicated stuff as it’s dearer and therefore better.

1 hour ago, bangernomics said:

It’ll run a default throttle position map which will affect fuel economy and oil lifespan. Arguably if you’re not doing millions of miles probably not enough of an issue to care.

How much is a MAF? 40-50 tops?

May be worth giving it a clean I use brake cleaner but people like the dedicated stuff as it’s dearer and therefore better.

I have carb cleaner that I bought specially for a MAF a while ago, I'll give it a clean of course. 

I'll try it unplugged and try to hoon it, see what happens. 

Thanks

29 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

All the filters are piss easy on a PD.  All at the top and readily accessible.  Takes a maximum of 15 minutes to change them and that's assuming you're a ham-fisted moron that doesn't know what they're doing - like me.

You have me summed up there certainly. I'm not even sure where the engine is, it doesn't look like it's under the bonnet! It's just all black plastic 😂

Just now, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Plastic should pop off if you give it a bit of a tug at the right angle.  Three ball-like retainers in circular holders.  Easy.

I'm sure it will,  but that won't change how ham-fisted and moronic I am when it comes to working on cars!

8 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Liked in solidarity.

Warning: Poor old me coming up. 

People here and everywhere say things like 'it'll just take ... minutes/ hours to do that, it's quite easy. 

My experience: takes days if not weeks, first being scared of failure and getting my car stranded then looking up ten million you tube videos on how to, then figuring out that I'm missing an important tool, then starting and not being able to get the first bolt undone and giving up, leaving my car stranded for a while, maybe get half way through making it drive again before the kids/ wife/ life means I have to put tools down as I've already taken the half a day I had free, then it rains for a week, then i try again and get a bit more of the way though, repeat... and that's a simple half hour job...

Everyone else in the world: half an hour, maybe mild cursing, car works. 

Ok self pitying over with, as you were 🤣

Edit: the garages exist for a reason, there's no man-shame deciding to farm it out if I actually can't do a job in the time frame I have. 

I've had this experience with the seat adjustment recently.  Had half an hour at it back in about early December - shoved the seat back in and made sure it was secure (but can't move) in a position I could drive the car then it rained a lot.  Now it's March, I think the adjustment is actually broken (probably just quicker to buy a new seat...), can't find the specific part that I need and can't be arsed.

Other half can't drive the car (we're both insured to drive each other's) which causes occasional issues.  Might farm it out even though it's a minor job. 

Being 6'2" and 19 stone does not help.

I highly recommend dropping the gearbox oil and filling with new stuff. My brother's six speed died through gearbox failure - third gear on ours had started to baulk so I filled it with mineral then dropped it again a fortnight later - I refilled it with fuchs titan sinto fluid. The difference was staggering.

Most complaints are about rot, leaks and poor electrics - gearbox issues means a lot of them going to Eastern Europe.

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Tim's Fleet - Fookin PussHat in limp mode