Tim's Fleet - new V70

Cord Fourteener

27 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Les Miserables. 

My wife had a diesel one long before me and still says it was one of the best cars she ever had! 

Weird. I had the big Diesel one on a 2004 plate as a company car. One of the most awful and gutless cars I've ever driven. Like the 1.6 petrol mentioned on the previous page, it was neither great to drive nor good on economy.

However, it was an SE which had every conceivable extra, many of which you still don't get as standard on a modern machine.

18 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The IPK in my Rover 75 randomly decided to start reading in French one day - I haven't worked out how to get it back.  The main computer screen still reads in English though.  🤔

Apparently your electrics have gone a bit 'French'. Or possibly a bit 'Lucas'.

40 minutes ago, TheOtherStu said:

However, it was an SE which had every conceivable extra, many of which you still don't get as standard on a modern machine.

This one has electric windows, I can't remember if that's front and rear, and a/c.

Otherwise I think we are living with poverty spec 😅

10 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

Interesting. The SE had auto lights, wipers, fold-in mirrors and all sorts.

None of that. I think mine is front only electric windows, electric adjustable mirrors but no fold i don't think. 

There's water getting in the spare tyre well, i can't find where, I can't find a drip. I'm need to look harder, but given how wet it is outside if there's anywhere to get in I'm not surprised its getting in. 

In going to have to sort the rear wiper out, I really don't need the boot handle to be that clean!

This is the biggest issue so far, I don't know if the water had been soaked in to something and is still seeping out; it had a pool in there when I first looked at it. It's not dripping, it's filling up from the bottom, almost looks like it's seeping in from somewhere near the bottom of the tyre well. 20211208_082038.thumb.jpg.b6bcb25024095de290326a48e3a3a77a.jpg

Above: just sponged out a little bit of water. Below, a bit more is seeping in. 20211208_092502.thumb.jpg.6bdc3bef7a9ba97bcaec66aac36d79a0.jpg

On 12/7/2021 at 6:33 PM, Liggle said:

Top misery points for getting the 1.4! I commuted in my dad's old 1.6 estate for a while and it had neither performance nor decent fuel economy 😂 was comfy,  spacious, cheap and easy to repair though

Glad it's not a 1.4 HDI estate, which is considered one of the single most underpowered cars sold in the last 20 years here. 

Just now, wuvvum said:

I remember idly looking at an MOT weight chart years ago while waiting for one of my cars to be tested - I remember the 307 SW with a panoramic roof came in at something ridiculous like 1.75 tonnes.  The 308 wagon was even lardier IIRC.

At least they made sure the 308 SW didn't get the 70hp misery of the dizzel 1.4, which tones it a bit down

On 12/10/2021 at 11:36 AM, wuvvum said:

I remember idly looking at an MOT weight chart years ago while waiting for one of my cars to be tested - I remember the 307 SW with a panoramic roof came in at something ridiculous like 1.75 tonnes.  The 308 wagon was even lardier IIRC.

That's a lot, the only way to make that feel lively would be an electric conversion, I reckon.

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Tim's Fleet - not much been happening
  • 1 month later...

So quick update:

Volvo is serviced and flying. 

Mondeo has new rear drop links after the originals broke. 

Pug still had oil leak. Wifey complains that it lacks grip, its always understeering. When i test it by trying to get it to understeer and break grip it performs very well...

Oh and the Mondeo now has a new reg number (actually it's old reg number) after i roffled the previous plate ...

20220513_194536.jpg

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Tim's Fleet - another mortally wounded Mondeo mk4 tdci

So the Mondeo is shitting oil somewhere  likely the turbo, causing dpf blockage, smoke  and I mean smoke, and permanent limp mode.

I've tried static regen, can't, computer says no. Even if I were it's likely that it would get shat up with dying turbo oil in no time.

So I'm limping it around and waiting for an ebat towbar for the Volvo so that can take over my gardening work for while, so i can sort out another daily.

Still, it's done 9 months and only needed a track rod and been so useful. 

I'd definitely have another but not one with anything near 200k miles on it!

So I need a tow car so I can work easilyusing my trailer for my gardening tools, I have a Volvo 740, now I have a tow bar. 

OK it was listed as being for the 940/60 estate but I believe it's the same tow bar across the entire range, we'll see if it is today i hope!

20220707_083943.thumb.jpg.67db682106ae26704d1950352e592052.jpg

In Mondeo news, I think the cost of a new turbo and removal or replacement of the dpf is prohibitive, I've being eyeing up replacements.

However, I have the 740 so there's no rush...

I haz tow bar, now the Volvo can be used for work without the worry of damaging the interior or my back by getting tools in and out of the boot/cabin.

Winner! So I'll be dailying and working out of this for a little while then. 

20220713_202626.jpg

20220713_214046.jpg

So a little update:

Wife shite: generally works well, makes a funny transmission noise i think, maybe its normal on French chod. Still has an oil leak, due a cam belt so maybe that will all get sorted. Or maybe not for a little while. I'm trying to get her to take responsibility for looking after it, failing somewhat. 

20220720_134946.thumb.jpg.97a3f8d4ed455a46625feb85c446bb88.jpg

Volvo: doing a sterling job as daily, load hauling, joy riding, ferrying etc. Maybe I need to get on it and actually sort out the few niggles, like guages, power steering etc etc. 

20220720_134924.thumb.jpg.aa81a0f6bcce48b734e75e74b4b5e9c8.jpg

Caravan: this made an appearance a few years ago. It's now parked permanently with tarp to stop water pouring in through rotten window seals, too rotten in the structure to go anywhere but serving as a spare room and being very useful. 

20220720_134959.thumb.jpg.3655c47a5addade6730d29b52846c802.jpg

and finally [insert place holder] a space where my daily estate work/ family load lugger ought to be, but I don't have one yet. 

20220720_134933.thumb.jpg.c4e607d2ca7a2dfaf5edc69e7afbbbd6.jpg

Hoping to have a car to show here soon. 

1 hour ago, Sunny Jim said:

Garage near my work is advertising a Passat diesel estate for not too many £s. Can get you details if interested @Cord Fourteener?

I regret selling my last passat, yes why not, though in theory I have something lined up. 

Options can't hurt if first choice doesn't happen for some reason, thanks

A work of art:

20220721_170752.thumb.jpg.14eaf55e5bacdc25ff1a1d415ca46dab.jpg

A work in progress, next. Well, i started. Didn't get time to finish, Will have to come back to it:

20220721_170808.thumb.jpg.cca238b7a545c53ae7ee3a774b12172e.jpg20220721_170821.thumb.jpg.f9742f6b31a29c85c12ec8f32385002c.jpg

The mistake i made was forgetting to allow meterial to tuck into the sun roof hole. Fortunately, as the glue i used was the wrong glue, it's become unstuck so i can peel it back and secure it all in the sunroof trim as intended, then job will be done for the next 50 years or so, or until I can find a replacement sunroof. I'm in no rush for that kind of thing. 

3 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

It's nice to a see a 740 saloon for a change. 

I would have had an estate for its practicality but i prefer the looks of the saloon, and this is what came my way and its perfect! 

Perfect in a tatty way.

But yes it makes a change to see a saloon!