Tim's Fleet - new V70

Cord Fourteener

23 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

I have one of those cheapy orange VAG code readers if you want it. 

I have a cheapo generic obd2 code reader. I'm going to go when I know the kids are asleep and see if there are any pending.

Would a vagshite code reader be better?

Just now, Lacquer Peel said:

No they are usually compatible with any code reader.

I also have a fuel filter for one of these if anyone wants it for £postage

Yes please! This one needs a fuel filter, I did think, and still do, that it might be the filter at fault. 

Ok actual progress other than me just complaining:

Upon removing the plastic cover, and at the suggestion of @leanycanI looked at the intake hose where it goes into the intake gubbins. There is oil that's blown out of the little actuator by the vacuum pump, not sure if that's normal. But what's not right is that the intake hose st the join just before the vacuum pump is loose, and I mean rattling around in its connection. Any boost pressure will presumably be escaping here before creating manifold pressure, I assume?

Could this be the culprit?

20210309_210036.jpg

Looks like the boost pipe is leaking a touch, but not enough to cause your issues.

There as slow as a week on remand with the maf disconnected, it just runs a compromised, default setting rather than actual values. I’ve never had one with a dead maf that ever comes back to life again. Usually it’s permanent light on / limp mode.

Think your issues are boost related. The turbos can carbon up and produce too much boost, as the vnt mechanism won’t move, which would be like having your wastegate closed all the time.

I have seen remapped diesels exceed there boost pressure sensor max rating, if this was a 115 pd originally, I think they have only a 2 bar sensor. 130pd is 2.5 bar. The first bar is the engine off boost, so with a 2 bar sensor it’ll only take 1 bar boost. (I’ve had this on a golf which had an inter cooler swap for a used part, head scratcher working that one out).

8 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

Looks like the boost pipe is leaking a touch, but not enough to cause your issues.

There as slow as a week on remand with the maf disconnected, it just runs a compromised, default setting rather than actual values. I’ve never had one with a dead maf that ever comes back to life again. Usually it’s permanent light on / limp mode.

Think your issues are boost related. The turbos can carbon up and produce too much boost, as the vnt mechanism won’t move, which would be like having your wastegate closed all the time.

I have seen remapped diesels exceed there boost pressure sensor max rating, if this was a 115 pd originally, I think they have only a 2 bar sensor. 130pd is 2.5 bar. The first bar is the engine off boost, so with a 2 bar sensor it’ll only take 1 bar boost. (I’ve had this on a golf which had an inter cooler swap for a used part, head scratcher working that one out).

Thanks. First question, the fault seemed to come intermittently, is that related to over-boost?

Second: if it was over-pressure how then can I reset it? 

Third, do I now have to take the turbo off and clean it all out? Because that's not the sort of thing I'm going to have time to do any time soon. How would I expect to pay a garage to do that?

8 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

Also,  relating to maf, there's no light, no code I can detect. Does this rule out maf, or is this still a possibility?

You can clean the turbo using mr muscle oven cleaner and its fairly easy on a passat, vid below, its not guaranteed to work but it might, you really need to get the car hooked up to VCDS and do some live logging, it could be the N75 valve or a simple vacuum leak.

These (amazingly reliable!) PD engines can be an utter pain in the arse once they have been 'mapped' as they will start going into limp mode, usually when you are trying to do a rapid overtake, I could never get to the bottom of it on my Bora and I replaced everything chasing the issue, it went away when I put the standard 130 map back on the car.

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Tim's Fleet - Fookin PussHat in limp mode - possibly for the chop soon
13 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Tim, what has the PO got to say about the situation? You've only had the car five minutes. 

The POs are a long list of fine Shitters, the latest of which did tell me on the way over that he had noticed a hesitation or something, but I was like whatever it'll be fine. 

7 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

The POs are a long list of fine Shitters, the latest of which did tell me on the way over that he had noticed a hesitation or something, but I was like whatever it'll be fine. 

Fair enough. I knew the car had been through a few members on here; regardless of that I think I'd still be having a chat with the seller if the car was going into limp mode days after taking ownership of it. Unless it's complete coincidence of course. 😉

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Fair enough. I knew the car had been through a few members on here; regardless of that I think I'd still be having a chat with the seller if the car was going into limp mode days after taking ownership of it. Unless it's complete coincidence of course. 😉

He says it wasn't, I have no reason to doubt him. 

Just now, rusty998 said:

I've got this EGR valve that came off my old Skoda Fabia 1.9 100bhp, I know that it was fully working before the car was written off, your welcome to it for nothing if you can cover the postage costIMG_20210310_094601_hdr.thumb.jpg.b6fbb1dffa84878cb460b3225d026282.jpgIMG_20210310_094612_hdr.thumb.jpg.40c29d8ae7810148035df73e24e9b7a0.jpglet me know if you would like it?

Ok, I'm at work just now but I'll have look later. Thanks👍

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Tim's Fleet - Fookin PussHat in limp mode - it's not me, it's you.
On 3/9/2021 at 7:58 AM, Tim_E said:

Warning: Poor old me coming up. 

People here and everywhere say things like 'it'll just take ... minutes/ hours to do that, it's quite easy. 

My experience: takes days if not weeks, first being scared of failure and getting my car stranded then looking up ten million you tube videos on how to, then figuring out that I'm missing an important tool, then starting and not being able to get the first bolt undone and giving up, leaving my car stranded for a while, maybe get half way through making it drive again before the kids/ wife/ life means I have to put tools down as I've already taken the half a day I had free, then it rains for a week, then i try again and get a bit more of the way though, repeat... and that's a simple half hour job...

Everyone else in the world: half an hour, maybe mild cursing, car works. 

Ok self pitying over with, as you were 🤣

Edit: the garages exist for a reason, there's no man-shame deciding to farm it out if I actually can't do a job in the time frame I have. 

Best description on me,  ever written :)

This will encourage me to get a tow bar on the Volvo for these situations...

I would have had to get the correct tow bar on the old Mondeo so I don't feel too hard done to, such is life and bangernomics and all that. 

For now the Passat goes with about as umph  as Volvo, which is some. Not a lot but some at least.  It's decent otherwise, if it doesn't mean throwing lots of money at it then I'll keep I guess. 

Considering I've had this or similar issue with diesels and even turbo petrol cars before I do feel like I should have foreseen this. Or am I just unlucky?

Anyway, fingers crossed for Monday and the diagnostic test. 

1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Best description on me,  ever written :)

Haha I'm not the only one then!

I had all these noble intentions of learning but it just stresses me out and I get nowhere. 

I can usually manage the oil, water and filters and the occasional other thing with only mild swearing. 

3 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Was a year ago but no limp mode in my ownership.. 

If it's that wanky N75 valve thing, it's not an expensive fix. When when mine started going haywire, it initially would re-boot itself once the ignition was turned on/off, the times between it being turned off and back on again gradually got longer until that didn't make any odds.

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

Haha I'm not the only one then!

I had all these noble intentions of learning but it just stresses me out and I get nowhere. 

I can usually manage the oil, water and filters and the occasional other thing with only mild swearing. 

You're definitely not the only one - pretty much identical to my level of skill/enthusiasm/inclination with cars...

There are some phenomenal auto-wizards on here, but I am not one of them.

Hope it's a relatively straightforward fix on this one!

*Holds hand up too*

I will do most jobs I can on my cars.

But there isn't any shame in getting someone else to do it. That was proven to me with the Daewoo. Asked my local garage to put a water pump and timing belt on, as I didn't have time. Turned out the water pump needed chiseled out as it hadn't been changed in years if at all.

I needed the car and the garage turned it around in a couple of days. It was ready for when I needed it.

Oh and your rant. Aye, I'd of said the exactly the same things lol. So it's fine, if it helps you feel better.