Tim's Fleet - new V70

Cord Fourteener

A few interior pics of the Volvo.

I've parked it up but immediately started dreaming of driving it again... The Mondeo is very very different and feels tinny compared! That was kind of expected though.

I managed to get the roof rack off with little fuss, that will come in handy one day I'm sure.

20210106_143128.jpg

20210106_143202.jpg

20210106_143208.jpg

20210106_143220.jpg

20210106_143232.jpg

20210106_143240.jpg

20210106_143244.jpg

20210106_143255.jpg

20210106_143300.jpg

20210106_143305.jpg

20210106_143343.jpg

16 hours ago, Amishtat said:

There's a channel along the bottom of the rear screen which needed clearing out of sludgy shit when I got mine. Haven't got the car in front of me so can't remember exactly but I seem to remember that it helped when I opened the boot with rainwater on it. Connects with the drain channels either side of the bootlid opening, I just used a bit of coat hanger wire. 

I did see some clever system down there. And yes there's some sludge in there I think...

16 hours ago, juular said:

What a handsome looking thing. I recently went through the same water-in-boot-wtf head scratching process with my 240. Always a wet bit right in the middle where there's nothing that could possibly leak in that manner. Until I opened it with snow on it..

I wonder if there's a bit of trim missing from our cars as that unthoughtfulness seems distinctly un-volvo like. From the company that gives you headlamp washers and a light under the bonnet to work with!

The little engineering details are amazing in their own right! I'm amazed the sun roof drains work so well, given the sunroof seal is not in place due to stuck sunroof. I'll sort it in the future but the fact water is not pouring in is amazing and wonderful. And not at all motivation to fix it!

27 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

A few interior pics of the Volvo.

I've parked it up but immediately started dreaming of driving it again... The Mondeo is very very different and feels tinny compared! That was kind of expected though.

I managed to get the roof rack off with little fuss, that will come in handy one day I'm sure.

20210106_143128.jpg

20210106_143202.jpg

20210106_143208.jpg

20210106_143220.jpg

20210106_143232.jpg

20210106_143240.jpg

20210106_143244.jpg

20210106_143255.jpg

20210106_143300.jpg

20210106_143305.jpg

I have an identical lack of fabric on the driver's door trim,really should get round to replacing it after nearly six years.. Your pictures really make me miss it, hopefully we'll be reunited soon. 

1 hour ago, Amishtat said:

I have an identical lack of fabric on the driver's door trim,really should get round to replacing it after nearly six years.. Your pictures really make me miss it, hopefully we'll be reunited soon. 

I hope so for your sake! Where is it? In a lock up or something?

9 hours ago, Amishtat said:

It's in East Anglia until we get shit sorted out up here in Sturgeonistan. 

That's some distance! I feel for you. I would tell you how every time I go in the garden or go out I look at the gorgeous lines sat on the drive, but that might make you languish so I won't.

5 hours ago, sdkrc said:

740 saloons are FIT. Just look at that rear windscreen.

Right colour. Right interior. Right body shape.

It is, it's just right. I love it.

How is your V90? I would have had that off you either by swap or selling the 924 and doing cash... Did you fix the head gasket?

This is a HGF survivor, it went last year apparently!

44 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

That's some distance! I feel for you. I would tell you how every time I go in the garden or go out I look at the gorgeous lines day on the drive, but that might make you languish so I won't.

I did the same with mine when I first got it. Won't be too much longer now so in the meantime I'll just perv at yours.. Just looking forward to driving something other than a Transit Connect, decent little steer though it is. 

IMAG1082.jpg

IMG_20181210_135335.jpg

6 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

I did the same with mine when I first got it. Won't be too much longer now so in the meantime I'll just perv at yours.. Just looking forward to driving something other than a Transit Connect, decent little steer though it is. 

IMAG1082.jpg

IMG_20181210_135335.jpg

That's lovely, even the same grill from my90!

2 hours ago, Tim_E said:

It is, it's just right. I love it.

How is your V90? I would have had that off you either by swap or selling the 924 and doing cash... Did you fix the head gasket?

This is a HGF survivor, it went last year apparently!

That's great news man it seems like a popular thing.

The V90 had some odd symptoms but now I don't think they were early onset HGF. Found someone willing to work on it and it's getting some suspension/brake work then going for an MOT on Tuesday. Wish me luck

Something really intriguing about Volvo ownership, I can't put my finger on it.

58 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

I've seen one other in the metal all the time I've had it, I don't know how long the facelift was offered but it can't have been very long. 

I'm told it's not long and it's a lot more rare to see. We're special!

1 hour ago, sdkrc said:

That's great news man it seems like a popular thing.

The V90 had some odd symptoms but now I don't think they were early onset HGF. Found someone willing to work on it and it's getting some suspension/brake work then going for an MOT on Tuesday. Wish me luck

Something really intriguing about Volvo ownership, I can't put my finger on it.

No I can't but I do remember Saab and Volvo were two cars that as a child in the 80s really stuck out, the styling being different and the day time running side lights. So I've always loved the idea of them.

I've had 2000 Saab 9-3 and loved it, I had a Volvo 440 and loved that, sold it then immediately regretted selling it.

Now I have one of the 80s classic Volvos that directly appealed to my younger self.

But I'm still not sure what it is, I mean it's well thought out and engineered, comfortable and easy to trust... It's a start but it's not all of it.

2 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

Your car has the cupholder centre armrest, which is/was a desirable accessory. I fitted one from a scrapped 960 to The Volvo back in the mid-2000s. A couple of years later, I sold it on eBay for quite a bit more than I paid for it :)

That cupholder is a broken pain in the arse, I'm considering reverting it to spec!

But I guess at one point out might have worked and been very useful!

These cars seen to be cheap when they are in need of love and Megabucks when they are in good condition. Crazy!

I guess it's because prices are slowly on the rise.

11 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

That cupholder is a broken pain in the arse, I'm considering reverting it to spec!

But I guess at one point out might have worked and been very useful!

These cars seen to be cheap when they are in need of love and Megabucks when they are in good condition. Crazy!

I guess it's because prices are slowly on the rise.

I often wonder how much The Volvo is worth. I paid £805 for it in 2003, and I reckon that nowadays I could get at least that amount back if I sold it, which I have no intention of doing, not least because I've just spent £300 on a replacement catalytic convertor and lambda sensor in order to get the car through another MOT.

Such are the bizarre economics of old Volvo ownership.

An estate in a state, this evening:

photo_2021-01-07_17-11-55.thumb.jpg.3f3138c1de87b4b10672f978be1227ab.jpg

13/10 WUD RECOMEND

7 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

I often wonder how much The Volvo is worth. I paid £805 for it in 2003, and I reckon that nowadays I could get at least that amount back if I sold it, which I have no intention of doing, not least because I've just spent £300 on a replacement catalytic convertor and lambda sensor in order to get the car through another MOT.

Such are the bizarre economics of old Volvo ownership.

An estate in a state, this evening:

photo_2021-01-07_17-11-55.thumb.jpg.3f3138c1de87b4b10672f978be1227ab.jpg

13/10 WUD RECOMEND

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/cars-vans-for-sale/volvo-740

A bit more than £805, I'd suggest. If it's not a shit heap, that is. A total pile of poo might get bought as a project for that.

17 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/cars-vans-for-sale/volvo-740

A bit more than £805, I'd suggest. If it's not a shit heap, that is. A total pile of poo might get bought as a project for that.

The Volvo's clean and tidy, structurally sound and in pretty good working order, but it will never be a show car, mainly due to the fact that the paint's buggered due to age and excessive polishing; if MAACO-type 'in & out' bodywork places existed here, it would have had a cheap and quick respray long ago.

Looking at some of the lower priced 740s on that website, I reckon it would be a bargain at £805, however.

12 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

The Volvo's clean and tidy, structurally sound and in pretty good working order, but it will never be a show car, mainly due to the fact that the paint's buggered due to age and excessive polishing; if MAACO-type 'in & out' bodywork places existed here, it would have had a cheap and quick respray long ago.

Looking at some of the lower priced 740s on that website, I reckon it would be a bargain at £805, however.

The cheapest one, £1500, is a shit heap, I mean not moved or MOT'd for several years.

Yours must be worth more than that!

The show car here is over £8k

1 minute ago, Shep Shepherd said:

The blue SE estate? That would make for a really good rolling restoration/preservation project. 

And the MOT history is decent. Photos look good...

Damn it actually looks like a decent estate bargain!!!

Someone get it bought!

One thing to bear in mind with a lot of the more expensive examples listed is that they've been for sale for months if not years.

A nice 700/900 estate is probably around £900-1500 with the best in the £2-3k range, saloons a few hundred less. While they days of picking a decent example up for £300-600 with ease are over they're still fairly cheap.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:37 PM, Tim_E said:

I thought it about time I made a general fleet thread, seems easier for general posting.

First, I made a well cringe-worthy video for Mighty Car Mods' Unicorn Circuit on their second channel. I don't think it ever got used, and I've stopped watching that ages ago anyway.

But, for your enjoyment and an opportunity to see being awkward, my local area and my old Saab before it went the way of the crusher...

Now that's out of the way, here's my current tat.

You live in such a beautiful part of the world Yorkshire maybe gods country but Wales is the dogs bollocks and i am ever so slightly envious! 

I love the SAAB cant say the same for the bonnet hinge tho.... You might think its character but to me its sounds exactly like my wife 😆 

So today I managed to re-tension the cam belt after being recommended to by the very kind and patient Volvo forum guys.

They also pointed me to the fact the cylinder head bolts need re-tightening.

These jobs are because head gasket and cam belt were replaced last year.

Everybody also tells me to clean out the pcv and fire trap. I had no idea idea what a fire trap is even and after trying to look it up I still couldn't see mine. It is indeed buried under intake gubbins.

I was shown where it is very effectively by a Volvo forum member, and, though I need eyes in my finger tips I have at least had my fingers on it.

That's for another day.