Tim's Fleet - new V70

Cord Fourteener

Just now, Ian_Fearn said:

I’ve always wondered what a 2.0 740 is actually like? All I can think is that it would be brutally under powered but so many people rate them that I think I must be wrong???

I've just swapped for a car the same power but half the weight.

It doesn't accelerate as fast, nor does it corner as flat and planted but it really doesn't seem to matter. It's torquey, so you can jump out at junctions without sweat. 

I've never driven a 2.3 but I can't imagine that without a stop watch you'd notice much.

It's just so endearing. The hype is true: you have to drive it to know but it's so comfy and smooth. Like a limousine but with the the power to weight of a loaded transit.

Slow nod of approval.
I replaced my 924 with a 924 but a massive Volvo is a very acceptable alternative. These 740 saloons have aged really well. I thought they looked odd and awkward when launched but they now look odd and dignified... actually rather elegant I’d say. Hope you get on well with it, looks a good one. 

28 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

I've just swapped for a car the same power but half the weight.

It doesn't accelerate as fast, nor does it corner as flat and planted but it really doesn't seem to matter. It's torquey, so you can jump out at junctions without sweat. 

I've never driven a 2.3 but I can't imagine that without a stop watch you'd notice much.

It's just so endearing. The hype is true: you have to drive it to know but it's so comfy and smooth. Like a limousine but with the the power to weight of a loaded transit.

What's the refinement like on the motorway? Would these make a good motorway car considering that no-one seems to go much more than 80 these days anyway?

3 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

I’ve always wondered what a 2.0 740 is actually like? All I can think is that it would be brutally under powered but so many people rate them that I think I must be wrong???

The Volvo's acceleration is leisurely (more so due to it being an auto), and it's the sort of car in which you have to plan overtaking manoeuvres well in advance, even on the motorway, but it's a quiet and comfortable long distance cruiser. Not only that, it's a great car for moving big and heavy stuff around, although I wouldn't want to tow anything with it :)

But then you never expected it to be fast, right? Going fast isn’t an old Volvo’s forte. Let’s face it, even the 2.3 turbo 940’s aren’t really that fast, unless substantially modded.

Personally that’s part of the appeal of the 700/900 series Volvos. Immensely capable cars 

Happy wafting  @Tim_E  🙂

OMG! That’s lovely. Great colour too.

Sounds like I’m preaching to the converted here, but they are fantastic cars! Very very capable, comfortable and useful. I absolutely love em. 
The 2.3 isn't quick either tbh, but that’s not what these are about.

You got any pics of the engine?

11 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Engine pics and more details tomorrow, I didn't get any today. But it's red block, black rocker cover.

I had a fast Saab, a fast BMW and a fairly fast 924.

I'm not exactly done with fast but I think it's overrated 🤪

There are other important qualities and this has then in abundance.

And, the plan is to tow a trailer occasionally...

11 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Engine pics and more details tomorrow, I didn't get any today. But it's red block, black rocker cover.

I had a fast Saab, a fast BMW and a fairly fast 924.

I'm not exactly done with fast but I think it's overrated 🤪

There are other important qualities and this has then in abundance.

And, the plan is to tow a trailer occasionally...

If you go fast it just means nobody can see how cool you are!😆

14 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

If you go fast it just means nobody can see how cool you are!😆

Quite.

Only death wish boy racers go fast on the road around our way.

Also, as the man whose badge is on the rear window says, you can really ring it out and enjoy it and feel like you're having the full experience without actually going too fast. Maybe a Wrexham Scooby Doo with an STI can reach the next corner slightly faster but until you're on a trace track it means nothing.

You get used to the power in a powerful car so no matter what car you're in you always want more power.

You really can't imagine much comfort a car could give, the poise, the seats.

Maybe air suspension or Lexus could rival it but the whole package it just awesome, I've not felt it needs more power all day. 

That looks great!

The saloons are one of those rare cars where they were adapted from the estate version rather than the other way round IIRC.

I also concur that even the mighty 2.3 turbo, whilst being bossty, is not really that fast. My 940 could keep up with modern traffic but that's about it. I never really get people 'modding' them with bigger turbos etc... They're epic cars for comfort and build quality but handle like a whale on ketamin so it just seems pointless- Maybe I'm missing something.

10 minutes ago, Shirley Knott said:

That looks great!

The saloons are one of those rare cars where they were adapted from the estate version rather than the other way round IIRC.

I also concur that even the mighty 2.3 turbo, whilst being bossty, is not really that fast. My 940 could keep up with modern traffic but that's about it. I never really get people 'modding' them with bigger turbos etc... They're epic cars for comfort and build quality but handle like a whale on ketamin so it just seems pointless- Maybe I'm missing something.

I agree.

I have a friend who's desperate to come and put a Rover V8 in it. I'm not sure I want to 😅

51 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

OMG! That’s lovely. Great colour too.

Sounds like I’m preaching to the converted here, but they are fantastic cars! Very very capable, comfortable and useful. I absolutely love em. 
The 2.3 isn't quick either tbh, but that’s not what these are about.

I've got a walkaround video that contains gratuitous engine bay footage.

2 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Sluggishly relentless.

Mine was a 2.0 injection with the 3 speed auto with no top gear lockup, which I never got to run right. On paper I don't think the Volvo was much (if at all) slower than the Acclaim but it felt slow and applying heavy throttle just felt wrong. Even the 2.3 Turbo is slow in real terms so it's all pretty pointless to compare.

Trying to go fast was a pointless waste of time and fuel, planting your foot would generate plenty of noise and no more acceleration. Apply 1/3rd throttle and hold until desired cruising speed is achieved, however long that might take. In top gear it'd be doing around 2,600rpm at 70mph, it was at it's best on a long motorway run. This was also when it got it's best ever mpg return, of 28mpg...

Over my commute it used to get 18mpg vs the Acclaim's 38mpg...

Looks like yours has the blue/black/tweed interior. The best interior.

1 hour ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Does anyone have an official 0-60 time for one? People moan the 1.2 Panda is painfully slow but I find it really zippy 🙂

I think about 13, so faster than our Seat Ibiza at 14 and our neighbour's 0.9 Panda 4x4 at about 20 I think...

Our Mondeo is about 10 and my ex 924 is high 9s so really it's barely any different.

What I noticed is that the BMW and Seat seem as nippy even if our BMW was definitely objectively a lot faster i.e. it was in the mid 7s but unless you are on a track with timing or drag racing the difference is not so massive in day to day conditions.

14 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Sluggishly relentless.

Mine was a 2.0 injection with the 3 speed auto with no top gear lockup, which I never got to run right. On paper I don't think the Volvo was much (if at all) slower than the Acclaim but it felt slow and applying heavy throttle just felt wrong. Even the 2.3 Turbo is slow in real terms so it's all pretty pointless to compare.

Trying to go fast was a pointless waste of time and fuel, planting your foot would generate plenty of noise and no more acceleration. Apply 1/3rd throttle and hold until desired cruising speed is achieved, however long that might take. In top gear it'd be doing around 2,600rpm at 70mph, it was at it's best on a long motorway run. This was also when it got it's best ever mpg return, of 28mpg...

Over my commute it used to get 18mpg vs the Acclaim's 38mpg...

Sluggishly relentless.. Perfectly apt and a nicely turned phrase. My 2.0 auto certainly isn't especially fast or frugal, but none of that really matters. It'll do 70 as long as you want in perfect comfort and the knowledge that your machine is superior to that of your fellow motorists. 

2 hours ago, Shirley Knott said:

Wise words, you’re not missing a thing @Shirley Knott I still say the 940 was the pinnacle era of Volvo. Safer than the 240, without sacrificing  space or styling, RWD, optional turbocharger for added voooom, redblock reliability and credible all-round performance on paper.  

I think the reason they’re all getting ruined at a rate of knots by the “drift or die” “I love skid marks” brigade is because they’re the last remaining cheap RWD, turbo, petrol, pre-canbus vehicle still readily available.

1 hour ago, captain_70s said:

... it was at it's best on a long motorway run...

It is that interior. Winner!

I have zero motorways near me so I'll be doing the best* sort of driving with it, short B road journeys etc

As your most local shiter i provisionally approve this purchase... but I feel to give it my full endorsement I need to come and see it in person... hmm... is that an essential journey? 

Let’s ask Mark... 

Hi Mr Drakeford

5365A7D4-8838-4322-BAB4-35EE1DC5B83C.jpeg

TimE (right) and I (left) have a question for you... 

986D0678-D19C-4397-B347-2A06B7BCAA50.png

(Nice to see you’re in your garden btw Tim)

Can I go and approve Tim’s Volvo purchase please... it’s essential.

431E6458-DFD3-4022-BA75-814DE612EECC.jpeg

(He doesn’t look impressed...) 

Please Mr Drakeford, put yourself in my shoes you’d love to go and lick a Volvo with Tweed seats... 

20FA21AD-88E6-41C9-A7A9-E883B25A7D52.jpeg

*thinks* yes that is true... I once couldn’t help myself but give a 244 a quick lick on Newport high street once, and then there was that time a 480ES winked it’s pop up light at me in Monmouth...

20EB073B-A9EA-4E04-AA24-E2641670B561.jpeg
Oh go on then Butt, go look at the Volvo!

See Tim, Mark Drakeford says it’s fine... 

14 hours ago, jon.k said:

What's the refinement like on the motorway? Would these make a good motorway car considering that no-one seems to go much more than 80 these days anyway?

I'd like to be able to tell you but I live in a motorway-free zone so I can't, and won't likely be able to tell you for quite a while! Especially if Mr Drakeford keeps us in lockdown for a while!