Tim's Fleet - new V70

Cord Fourteener

7 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

Chwarae teg. That looks a right fiddly undertaking.

Diolch, ffidli wir!

It was a proper pain to be honest, but I now feel like I could do it better next time at least. 

But I also feel I can invite people into my 740 and it look posh and stuff. Twill do.

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Tim's Fleet - Silence the Orks, create tension.

So I got the chance to look at the chirping coming from the Mondeo aux belt pulley.

I had bought a replacement tensioner and it was waiting to go in so today was the day to try to get it fitted.

Getting the old tensioner out was a challenge. 

It sits right where the structure of the car is and is a complete pain.

However I prevailed. 20210706_144411.thumb.jpg.fa3118b5e99f90d9882f5f55120d1787.jpg

That's it, the furthest one in this shot, taken lying on my back under the car. 

Anyway, out it came after much swearing, head scratching and looking things up on the Internet. 

20210706_144415.thumb.jpg.3b718200e8bfbefa807bbc3661fe8b8e.jpg

20210706_151718.thumb.jpg.ceffa6cfc7da779b748a4f0af2caf599.jpg

Clever me; there's the new one fitted. The other pulleys fell good to me, not that I'm an expert. But they all feel smooth and greasy.

But, was the tensioner the cause of the chirping?

Yes. It's now sorted.

• 4 weeks later...

So the Mondeo was acting broken but it was just well over due a service. 

With clean oil is running fine, just need to run it for a bit to make sure. 

In volvo news I've given it a quick clean inside. 20210803_114540.thumb.jpg.b0f7d75294136a1ffe713e767f7b4542.jpg

In passat news; there is no news. All is plodding on very well in the crazy mobile.

So the Mondeo is smoking, gaining oil, leaking from the filter housing. 

In short, I think the dpf is failing to regenerate so I'm going to have to a. Drain and change some of the diesely oil, b. Clean the MAF just in case it's dirty and c. Download foreskin forscan and see if I can talk it into sense.

20210818_171612.jpg

20210818_172244.jpg

20210818_172238.jpg

Mondeo has had a good talking to by Forscan now and seems to behaving itself. There's some wheel sensor codes in there and there is just over half a litre of diesel in the oil, I'll change the oil again if the volatiles don't evaporate.

But the lights are off, its not smoking any more and it doesn't stink of coal smoke.

I've noticed an oily damp patch in drivers footwear in the Volvo... Volvo is otherwise fine though and I'm enjoying driving it - Wifey stranded the Passat at Glan Clwyd hospital for me. Its a long story.

Turns out that my Volvo 740 Heather matrix is leaking. 

Option 1: bypass from the engine bay for now. Dry out interior and wait until I have time and inclination to do it properly. 

Option 2: immediately start stripping dash down (when i get the time) and take the few weeks or more that it actually takes me to get it ready for duty in winter. 

Option 3: take it straight for a repair quote.

I hope to do either option 1 or two for my own learning sake... 

We'll see. But it has been a stunning car so I'd quite like it ready to go with warm air for winter!

55 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Actually I'm not sure of anything other than the driver's footwell is wet with greasy water...

The good news- The heater control valve is a common fail point, would cause the symptoms you describe and is easier to replace than the matrix.

The bad news- If it is the valve, they're NLA for RHD cars without aircon (I'm not sure if that applies to you)

I had to adapt a Mk1 Golf valve and re route the coolant pipes whilst adapting a bowden cable to get the dash controls to operate properly on my old 940. It's firmly filed in the 'never again' folder of past car jobs

1 minute ago, Shirley Knott said:

The good news- The heater control valve is a common fail point, would cause the symptoms you describe and is easier to replace than the matrix.

The bad news- If it is the valve, they're NLA for RHD cars without aircon (I'm not sure if that applies to you)

I had to adapt a Mk1 Golf valve and re route the coolant pipes whilst adapting a bowden cable to get the dash controls to operate properly on my old 940. It's firmly filed in the 'never again' folder of past car jobs

My first task, as ever, is to read up on the Volvo forum, the Internet in general and my HBOL so see if I can understand what I'm looking for and how to get there... I don't suppose you to any pics when you did it?

11 minutes ago, Shirley Knott said:

I did, but have since deleted them to make space on my Flickr account- Sorry man!

If you google 'Volvo 740 leaking heater control valve' there'll be many hits though. It's pretty common (Hence all of the remaining stock of them sold out about 5 years ago)

OK, will do. 

Thanks

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Tim's Fleet - quit leaking. Please?

I ordered a part for the Volvo, the heater control valve. 

Volvo don't make them but a Scandi parts company do, the local Volvo dealer even told me to look at an independent Scandi parts company. 

The only thing is it's a German company so thanks to some new complications I won't get into regarding pride and imaginary lines who knows when it will arrive...

Fingers crossed. 

Screenshot_20210917-113127_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

I ordered a part for the Volvo, the heater control valve. 

Volvo don't make them but a Scandi parts company do, the local Volvo dealer even told me to look at an independent Scandi parts company. 

The only thing is it's a German company so thanks to some new complications I won't get into regarding pride and imaginary lines who knows when it will arrive...

Fingers crossed. 

Screenshot_20210917-113127_Samsung Internet.jpg

I wouldn’t worry. I just ordered 2 new shocks and springs from that company and I had them within three days. Total price was also less than the U.K. suppliers I looked at too!

Be aware, the heater control valve on these is handed depending on LHD or RHD. The last I heard RHD ones are no longer available. The one your looking at might be LHD being from Germania? I’m not sure if you can get them to fit & work on a RHD car.

https://www.polar-parts.co.uk/Heater-Valve-Coolant

Says LHD on their website.

2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

I wouldn’t worry. I just ordered 2 new shocks and springs from that company and I had them within three days. Total price was also less than the U.K. suppliers I looked at too!

Be aware, the heater control valve on these is handed depending on LHD or RHD. The last I heard RHD ones are no longer available. The one your looking at might be LHD being from Germania? I’m not sure if you can get them to fit & work on a RHD car.

Oops, I guess I'll have to see when it turns up if it will fit!!

2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Nice German parts suppliers had me covered ...

Screenshot_20210917-143714_eBay.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Nice German parts suppliers had me covered ...

Screenshot_20210917-143714_eBay.jpg

That’s good service! Most places wouldn’t bother and just send it out regardless.

I think the two parts are effectively a mirror image of each other, so the LHD one would make the heater controls cable lug on the wrong way round, so the heater switch wouldn’t work on it. 
The last one of these I did I got a new old stock RHD Bosch part. It wasn’t a particularly easy job though, lack of space for the husky gentleman up in the footwell/under dash made it harder than it should have been! 
@Shirley Knott did a good job on his using a similar part for a VW (I think), which fit well and worked. Other than something like that I’m not really sure what you can do about the problem. They really need to reproduce the RHD part for a short run but if they will or not?? There’s quite a few people still running these cars and need that part now. It’s something I’d certainly buy just to keep as a spare tbh.

3 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Be aware, the heater control valve on these is handed depending on LHD or RHD. The last I heard RHD ones are no longer available.

I also mentioned this to the OP several posts upstream.

24 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

@Shirley Knott did a good job on his using a similar part for a VW (I think), which fit well and worked. Other than something like that I’m not really sure what you can do about the problem. They really need to reproduce the RHD part for a short run but if they will or not?? There’s quite a few people still running these cars and need that part now. It’s something I’d certainly buy just to keep as a spare tbh.

It's true!

I used a MK1 Golf valve, which sorted it in the end but did involve rejigging the whole cabling system to allow for the cabin controls to work. It wasn't a fun job at all, and being honest played a major hand in the decision to sell and move from the 700/900 platform to V70's...

Volvo chopped and changed things seemingly willy nilly dependent on year/factory of production/what the weather was like that week. The consequent esoteric range of bits and poor parts availability really boiled my piss in the end.

5 minutes ago, Shirley Knott said:

I also mentioned this to the OP several posts upstream.

It's true!

I used a MK1 Golf valve, which sorted it in the end but did involve rejigging the whole cabling system to allow for the cabin controls to work. It wasn't a fun job at all, and being honest played a major hand in the decision to sell and move from the 700/900 platform to V70's...

Volvo chopped and changed things seemingly willy nilly dependent on year/factory of production/what the weather was like that week. The consequent esoteric range of bits and poor parts availability really boiled my piss in the end.

You did, which is why I'm still holding out for a spare. 

Someone on the Volvo OC forum has promised my one when he gets around to stripping it out of his hearse.

But as mentioned if I can get another then great, spares. 

5 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

You did, which is why I'm still holding out for a spare. 

Someone on the Volvo OC forum has promised my one when he gets around to stripping it out of his hearse.

But as mentioned if I can get another then great, spares. 

TBF I'm not sure I'd bother with a SH valve... 

Re the MK1 Golf valve, fitting would be much simpler if you  were prepared to operate the temperature control by reaching under the dash, IE not cabling it up via the cabin control

1 hour ago, Cord Fourteener said:

However  I had a nightmare where I had two diesel Mondeo Mk4s

I mean, what a ludicrous state of affairs. Phew, I was glad to wake up. 

1 hour ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Look what the AS fairy brought me, my new car:

20211003_123532.thumb.jpg.cec34e1b8c5aea7fd1d2151f3a55f901.jpg

20211003_142239.thumb.jpg.bd15e6c2beef10249644751a8b99cb4a.jpg

Oh, err, nevermind.