Tim's Fleet - new V70

Cord Fourteener

In short, the Mondeo is better than the passat in all the important ways, bigger, comfier, better brakes, better handling.

The navtainfo system might be better on paper but I prefer the audio in the Passat, mainly because it's been fucked around with, the aftermarket head unit is better, the USB device is better than cd changers, the speakers are half decent, and the aux-in on the Ford seems to be missing.

I'll try to get the orks working. 

The big difference, and again the passat has been fucked with and makes brutal power at low revs and the turbo spools up quickly. 

The Mondeo feels somewhat more casual and, together with taller gearing makes for a more gentle and relaxing experience when pressing the accelerator especially in higher gears. 

This is all to confirm that the 214k miles Mondeo hatch we already have is working properly and not as tired of life as I assumed it was!

So I can accept this; is definitely not under-powered. Or I can change it, the dmf is relatively new and I don't often floor it and giggle, only on special occasions so maybe it can take a remap.

Either way I'll drive it as is at least for a while and enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, rob88h said:

Try the glovebox. Don’t ask me why but it’s hidden there on my ‘08 Focus.

The hole where its meant to be, in the glove box, is there. 

I need to look behind the gloves box to see if the connection has fallen out. 

Also, there's no Bluetooth audio so that might be on the cards too, but I'm not going to rush into that. 

10 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

Are you calling me a fairy? ;-)

It's a title bestowed upon any shitter delivering or otherwise facilitating the transfer of a good, commonly a used car, in the case where collection by the buyer is not undertaken. 

Well ok i made that up, but the answer to your question is yes. 

Well, what a day. 

Started by draining the coolant on the Volvo in order to stop the heater control valve from leaking, and to fix the issue,  hopefully. And to do a good old service. 

Below: Halloween goo. Draining coolant into an oil catch tray. Don't worry, I dispose of it to a licenced disposal farmer who doesn't mind it contaminated. 

20211016_085916.thumb.jpg.6e27b18ef4e5308c839f1ec7fd711d11.jpg

20211016_085750.thumb.jpg.6b719af4899deae442b7bc7db41ac799.jpg

Above: Scary! The hose clamp on the bottom radiator hose has rusted through and is dripping. Not enough to loose coolant, together with the footwell leak, but enough not to be 100%.

Then I cleaned out the Passat, then took it to the car wash, then I listed the Passat. 

Then I sold the Passat. 

20211016_184619.thumb.jpg.62a42672f187a05072582b6fcab3333d.jpg

I was not expecting it to sell and have it actually leave today, I am a bit sad, I was expecting to have it a few more weeks. But bye, you have been wonderful and I'll miss you. 

Now to put my new Mondeo on the road... @mat_the_cat it's time to daily your car!

6 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Well, what a day. 

Started by draining the coolant on the Volvo in order to stop the heater control valve from leaking, and to fix the issue,  hopefully. And to do a good old service. 

Below: Halloween goo. Draining coolant into an oil catch tray. Don't worry, I dispose of it to a licenced disposal farmer who doesn't mind it contaminated. 

20211016_085916.thumb.jpg.6e27b18ef4e5308c839f1ec7fd711d11.jpg

20211016_085750.thumb.jpg.6b719af4899deae442b7bc7db41ac799.jpg

Above: Scary! The hose clamp on the bottom radiator hose has rusted through and is dripping. Not enough to loose coolant, together with the footwell leak, but enough not to be 100%.

Then I cleaned out the Passat, then took it to the car wash, then I listed the Passat. 

Then I sold the Passat. 

20211016_184619.thumb.jpg.62a42672f187a05072582b6fcab3333d.jpg

I was not expecting it to sell and have it actually leave today, I am a bit sad, I was expecting to have it a few more weeks. But bye, you have been wonderful and I'll miss you. 

Now to put my new Mondeo on the road... @mat_the_cat it's time to daily your car!

Glad to see it stay in the fold, I enjoyed my time with it, only sold due to first lockdown..

25 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Glad to see it stay in the fold, I enjoyed my time with it, only sold due to first lockdown..

It's in the fold as in sold to a good friend's daughter who was very much in need, so it's in the fold because when she sells it will be advertised here, and there's a shitter here who will get advanced notification as second dibs, so yes in the fold but won't be appearing in posts here for a while. 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I did the pollen filter on the grey one, didn't find it too bad of a job tbh - I've definitely seen worse.

I thought it was a bit of a fiddle, but then thinking back it was a faff on the Mk1/2, involving taking the scuttle off. When they got a few years on their back you could guarantee it would leak after a filter change. The seal on the housing would perish. 

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Tim's Fleet - new item of Wife Shite! Misery points are strong with this one.

Following the impending catastrophic failure on the Mondeo Hatchback, which she loves and i don't, we have done a buy.

Its miserable, but ought to get Wifey to work and back and get the kids around with ease. 

To sum up the Mondeo then, possibly due to the age of a few components that in theory are not hard to fix, it has what I think are compounded problems that I can't deal with.  If the Volvo didn't just run out of mot I might have time to book it in and get it sorted, but I'm loathed to spend money booking it in if it's truly screwed. And the Volvo is not currently road legal. Typical. 

The fact that it's been running on very dilute oil that's always over- full may well have damaged expensive bits, and it's currently not safely drivable. 

So it's being scrapped with happy memories (wife's happy memories at least) for a very generous £290.

So, enter the new car. Oh wait, I need to walk to my neighbours house and do the transfer. Brb

It's not a bad little thing, it's quite nippy, the steering works and it's enough fun but everything feels like syrup, well the steering and the gear box do. 

No clutch foot rest, rear wiper doesn't know where the window is and the steering wheel isn't tracked right but I think the wheels are aligned, maybe we ought to get that done any way. 

83k miles with recent cambelt. It has had the radiator explode and the head gasket fail in it's previous life, all seems ok now though. 

20211207_162710.jpg

13 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

It's not a bad little thing, it's quite nippy, the steering works and it's enough fun but everything feels like syrup, well the steering and the gear box do. 

No clutch foot rest, rear wiper doesn't know where the window is and the steering wheel isn't tracked right but I think the wheels are aligned, maybe we ought to get that done any way. 

83k miles with recent cambelt. It has had the radiator explode and the head gasket fail in it's previous life, all seems ok now though. 

20211207_162710.jpg

Sans ou avec conditionaire du aire?

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I raised an eyebrow at the word "nippy", but it looks like the facelift 307s got a 16v version of the 1.4 with a bit more poke - the one I experienced was an early 8v with 74bhp and that was absolutely dire...

As for syrupy steering and gearbox - TATDS, typical noughties Peugeot.

Yes its not as terrible as I imagined, its 80something horse powers output. Don't get me wrong, it's not anything on a car with actual power but it's pleasantly enthusiastic in the right rev range. 

I was told the gear box is not in the best of health but it feels OK, syrupy and I'm inclined to believe they all do it. 

Like the steering, it corners acceptably, even fun but certainly no Mondeo in terms of feel.