Homemade retro number plate

Blake's Den

Evening all

Amongst my fleet I've got a classic 'tractor'. Its a 1975 model but I've been running it with a post 2001 style number plate. I really didn't like the look of it so I had a go at making my own raised letter type. I was really happy with the results. It looks so much better now.

Probably not 100% legal as it has no makers mark or BS stamp so we'll call it a show plate ?

IMG_20200622_202343221.thumb.jpg.803041c905af6357755fd3fdcc8f6ad2.jpg

5 minutes ago, New POD said:

Ironic? It's not 100% legal, but you've put it on YouTube? 

You risk taker. 

More ironic is that this may not be 100% legal but it is 100% better than a silver on black plate which was not legal in 1975 but is now, due to some idiotic change in the law which makes no sense!

Excellent work on the number plate. Modern number plates really look awful on pre 2000 vehicles.

That looks infinitely better than a post 2001 plate. Great work. As for the whole 'it's not got a BS stamp/makers name', I seriously wouldn't lose sleep over it. There are masses of cars on the road wearing Ebay plates with the same scenario. It really isn't the end of the world.

Nice work! Looks so much nicer. There’s an old tractor near me with a home made plate- suits it perfectly and IIRC if you go far enough back it was a thing as it would eliminate the extra charge for number plates ( I remember reading Alan Clark bought a new mini in 1960 and made the number plates to save on the cost, he must have had a recent loss at backgammon)

Raised letter number plates really look the business, much better than modern Perspex or the dreaded pressed black and silver.

Given the fact that most tractors have number plates that are completely battered or even hand painted I doubt anyone will raise an eyebrow about the legality of yours.

Looks fantastic. Only one of my plates has a makers mark, the rest are blank including a pre 2001 font item.

Nice mix of period fonts on your plate too, the J and the U are more rounded and the 6 and 9 in the same style would have had sharp point at the end of the tail.

I'd have gone with painting the plate with with a yellow aerosol, it would soon weather to a nice patina. Regardless, what you've done looks fantastic. Such attention to detail is often missed on classic cars, so the fact you've put the effort in for a tractory-thing is really nice to see!