Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

These donations are a massive help folks, I can't thank you enough. I'll send another PM. 

I already knew about this, too, but it's an annoying thing to deal with - the only usable parts on the entire exhaust system are the backbox and the pre-cat O2 sensor. Mercifully the sensor on the cat was unplugged and not cut off. 

Cracked header. 

20200818_160817.jpg

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I'm slightly worried for my CR-V now.  That's high enough up that you don't even need a trolley jack to get at the cat. 

Small steel undertray to hide/cover the cat and make it generally inaccessible.  You only need to make your car less appealing than the next one, and it'll get left alone.

The downpipe-cat flange is gone too, and these headers do crack sometimes - it's not worth fixing, I don't think. Used headers are out there (though for the mileage could be a false economy?), and stainless ones exist (and are tempting). 

8 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I'll bung a few quid in the pot to replace it as well if you give me some deets @Ghosty

8 hours ago, Mally said:

I'm good for £20 too Max.

PM incoming. 

12 hours ago, Rod/b said:

What engine is in this Ghosty? And have they chopped the the downpipe / rear section too? 

D16W4 - 126bhp 1.6 litre single cam VTEC. Yes, they cut the cat out by chopping the flange off the downpipe. 

Thanks to an immensely generous donation by the chap I'm selling the Mini for, it looks as if I might be able to get a stainless manifold - I'd certainly think it worthwhile.

22 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

What is it about Honda catalysts? 

Someone at work had one stolen off an ‘02 Accord Type R, the replacement value (and the fact it was special order from Japan) wrote the car off - although someone did buy the car off the salvage yard and put it back on the road.

Father heard from the Pistonheads massiv that it's something to do with the amount of precious metal Honda puts into their catalytic converters which makes them more valuable than others. Weird that people are still stealing them as scrap prices for precious metals are at an all-time low apparently.

Bizarrely I had a weird dream of my Lexus RX being done like this last night. Only in the dream I caught the guy underneath and took matters into my own hands. I ended up getting locked up and then I woke up.

I've also got a civic. 

It's unfortunately one of my biggest fears, the cost and hassle would possibly write the RX off. 

Too costly to pay for it myself but not worth claiming on insurance.

There is always the thought of it being done again if parked in the same place.

Glad it's getting sorted.

Once the OEM cat is gone they aren't too fussed I don't think. 

General update, the Mini is for sale on eBay and Facebook as the retention certificate processed, a few lowball bites on FB, but nothing on eBay. 

Civic parts are starting to arrive. I got the V5 today too. 

205 - found out why the window was sticking. There's a box on the window motor assembly, and the panel that removes to expose the guts faces the window regulator. Somehow at some point the panel had bent and was fouling the regulator. 

The window now fully opens, but it's now slow and falls off the runners, so needs a helping hand to close. 
I got a phone call today about a bit of a Schrodinger's cat of a 205 in U-Pull-It, that very much does exist, so hopefully I'll be pulling some bits off it on Saturday.

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghosty Goes Manual - piecing things together

further update! 
I did indeed go to UPI to strip a 205. 
20200822_131843.jpg?width=902&height=677

20200822_142151.jpg?width=508&height=677

Anything and everything I could take off was taken. So I finally have a driver's door pocket, all the lights came with me, grille, all the small bits of trim that always break/go missing, a dipstick with all the plastic intact, mirrors that work better than mine, windscreen washer pump, some nearly-new Denso glowplugs, relays, the NLA gearknob topper (useful to have a spare)... all sorts of stuff you never really get the chance to find. 

Glowplugs are fitted and seem to have made a mild positive difference, and once the driver's window is properly sorted and working, I'll be reassembling the driver's door once and for all, and adding all the missing trim. Really looking forward to that.

The Mini is provisionally sold and should be going tomorrow. 

Most of the parts for the Civic's exhaust have arrived, so that'll be running again soon. 

IMG_20200827_223419_542.jpg?width=903&height=677

This happened yesterday. 

205 failed to start after work - after some experimenting and discussion, it was found no fuel was getting to the (lift) pump. General consensus is a blocked filter, so as is the XUD way, a 320d filter and a priming bulb shall be put in, in place of the standard combination filter/primer. 
Had to have a lift home off the boss - word of warning, thanks to Covid, the AA man can't let you into his van if you have Relay, I assume the AA can't leave you stranded, but a trusted lift is better than Alternative Transport any day.
Knobhead neighbour came outside for something while the 205 was being unloaded - he looked as if he was trying to repress his amusement, so I shouted 'THAT'S A NICE FOR SALE SIGN' at him as he was on his way back inside. 
Glad he's selling his house, goodbye dickhead, goodbye parking issues.
The AA man was very complimentary of the car and the fact I worked on it myself, and told me to hold on to it! 
Parts are ordered but it's immobile for now. 

Civic's exhaust parts have all arrived, so on the next dry day (looks like Sat) I'm putting it all together. 
Knocking about in the C30 for now. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghosty Goes Manual - various states of repair

The waterpump went on my stepdad 17 plate octavia the other week whilst they were out and about, they came home on the end of a pole sat in the car. Mum was texting me from the m1, said she's never seen my stepdad concentrate so hard when driving! 

They weren't allowed in the cab either 

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

General consensus is a blocked filter, so as is the XUD way, a 320d filter and a priming bulb shall be put in, in place of the standard combination filter/primer. 

Que?  Why not just change the blocked filter?  XUD filter and primer setups are generally quite good, no need to be changing it.

Sorry to hear the cat got nicked.

Thefts were rampant over Winter, then dropped off when COVID hit China and the precious metal price fell like a stone. Also streets were so quiet and plod were pulling cars at random so wasn't a good idea being out thieving stuff!

I'm running an Auris Hybrid, and they're top of the thieving scum list along with an Prius (same engine) and the Honda Jazz. Apparently they contain a lot of rhodium. Toyota will fit you a catloc which is essentially a large metal security plate that bolts to existing fixings and security tag the cat for ~£250. They ran out of spare cats around Christmas time due to the number being nicked, and they're well over a £1k to replace. Not looking forward to next years insurance premium.

Mine narrowly missed getting done when they hit the local hospital car park. I was visiting a family member, was in the local paper day after that they did a couple of Jazz's and a Prius in the car park. Someone stood there and phoned the police and the scum just carried on with it. Not a toss was given.? Mine was in the corner, and out of sight behind an Bimmer X5 luckily.

The Civic's exhaust is on! Minor bodgery was needed as I had to bridge the pins on one of the o2 sensors, because both the sensor and the car had female plugs. However it works without any warning lights, so I'm calling that a win. 

There are four brand new Hankooks in the boot waiting to be fitted. Going to get that sorted this week. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghosty Goes Manual - things that work

I now don't own an automatic. ?

118787383_800697334069812_6034511896650714713_n.thumb.jpg.776327012531f56d7f375bd16ce55478.jpg

With that out of the way, I moved on to the 205. 

118794861_2802192830013301_8260115677259940539_n.thumb.jpg.46287f88d84eaa66560673b4319186e7.jpg

New gearknob in. 

On a roll, time to look at the fuel filter. Old filter/primer assembly removed with two jubilee clips and two bolts. Don't think it'd ever been changed.

eBay special 320d Mann fuel filter plumbed in in place (bottom left), a new length of hose from filter to pump, and a primer bulb added in line. A new dipstick can also be seen as there was one on the UPI breaker with all the red plastic intact, it'd all fallen off mine.  

20200905_154047.jpg

It runs! It's a lot happier to start, I think the old filter assembly was blocked.
Seems to be a little bit quicker too, probably going to get better fuel economy etc. 

Winner.

Rounded off the day by clay barring the Civic, probably polish that tomorrow.

This is how it starts now. It used to be that if the starter even turned it'd take several seconds of cranking and multiple attempts to start. I'm rather happy with the result. 

Next jobs are adjusting the spare wheel carrier to fit 14"s, replacing the rear tyres, and replacing the backbox. 

• 2 weeks later...

Success, the Civic is warning light free. 

With a new fuel filter, ABS sensor and O2 sensor, four new tyres, and a couple of small tweaks, it is officially SORTED. 

I'm currently battling to get the 205 a set of decent headlights and indicators as the pattern indicators I bought don't fit into the headlights properly and both the passenger headlights I have are duff. 
Backbox is in transit... 

I recently added a £6 replacement washer pump to the front end as it never worked for me (and somehow passed an MOT like that?) then all that will be left to do is the backbox, drivers window, cambelt, water pump, and a camshaft seal. If anyone can help me identify the right camshaft seal (not the cambelt end) and water pump I'd appreciate it. 

After that, I'm sort of getting itchy feet for a manual MX-5 before the prices skyrocket. I've got a bit of money too so I'll have to have a think what to do about that. 

20200914_194111.jpg

8 hours ago, Ghosty said:

After that, I'm sort of getting itchy feet for a manual MX-5 before the prices skyrocket. I've got a bit of money too so I'll have to have a think what to do about that. 

Literally loads for sale here at the moment too. Varying from the cheap disposable to good condition. 

I don't think they'll be sky rocketing just yet, especially the MK2. Stil plenty around as they made loads of them and end of season with the weather getting colder.