Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

Dad's merrily playing about with it - he had an identical one of these for five years and loved it. 

He's already done a compression test - I'm floating in and out as I'm WFHing - there's nothing for me to actually do but I can't leave the computer idling as I'll get told off. 

180/180/180/180,  but the spark plugs are all clagged up. 

Bloody weird is this - need to look into sensors, PCV elbow, etc. 
I'm still not convinced that the head gasket hasn't failed from an end cylinder into the water jacket (a compression test wouldn't always show that), but the o2 sensor and the injection system need sorting out first. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - Civic investigation

Not entirely sure what my dad's been up to this morning, but with a new o2 sensor from the parts stash, the car seems to be running a bit better - the white smoke has subsided, and all the fault codes have cleared, but there's still a definite misfire. Takes a while to start sometimes too. Ruled out the plugs by putting a spare set of NGKs in it and taking out some Russian made Bosch ones (not OEM), the leads are ok too, but the dizzy cap and arm aren't original either and the cap was full of loose carbon. The arm seems to be seized on to the distributor which is odd. Wondering if a new cap and arm will help. 

3 minutes ago, EightMegs said:

The one on my Starlet was rightly stuck when I changed it. Might be worth trying to pry it off with a long screwdriver.

Already tried, it's well on. I think it's the arm for a 1.6 that's been forced to fit - the 'right' part is a different shape. 

No description available.

WINNER. 

New dizzy cap and a bodged o2 sensor, and it's back to driving as it should. For a new o2 sensor and a thermostat (stuck open like most D series ones are) it'll be spot on. Drives lovely, couple of small knocks but it does need a droplink. 
Radio is borked too. 

Been away for a couple of days, 360 miles in the hatch and it hasn't missed a beat. 35mpg which is pretty good considering the EML's on for a duff o2 sensor. 

Thanks to a conveniently timed reply to a message I sent a couple of days prior, while I was away I managed to pick up a new bumper! 

Today I got on with fitting it, and doing a bit of polishing of the car too (but I've not finished that yet).

Let's look behind the tape: 

20211229_104132.thumb.jpg.e8054e3fa43fa78291013fb3f1e097ba.jpg

fucking LOL.

The bumper is cracked, hence the replacement. These are easy to change - a row of trim clips in the boot shut, two underneath, and a bolt on each side in the wheelarch. 

It was a bit dirty:

20211229_104813.thumb.jpg.d921730d212edc9f297b49a757cfd64d.jpg

20211229_104821.thumb.jpg.41427f9806318cc262f54b06e5b91c44.jpg

20211229_105359.thumb.jpg.2b00f821bff38264118a4c49a28f6250.jpg

20211229_105441.thumb.jpg.b9b9d3e10e6795d08273e04bd7a05bb6.jpg

New bumper on.

20211229_140035.thumb.png.75f26b6a152408884f861d2ea86ae39e.png

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - Civic improvement

Packages finally started coming in today so in my lunch break I ticked a few things off. 

New rear wiper to match the fronts, a set of Denso spark plugs (89p each from ECP), both installed. There's a new oil and fuel filter (£1.29!) waiting to go on, a cabin filter, and some antifreeze as someone's mixed blue and green (Prestone?) and it's gone a bit black/dark green. 

New radio in too - it's nice buying proper stuff, as it fits like a glove: 

No description available.

Alpine mechless, same as the one in the saloon, save for no CD slot and red buttons instead of blue. The dash lights up orange so it fits in. £45 on eBay, used but boxed and complete. Only been waiting since Christmas.

I went to investigate the non-functional driver's speaker - unclipped the grille and a perfect condition original speaker is revealed. Pioneer, no less. Thought to myself, someone's unplugged this, and sure enough the speaker had a plastic clip on multiplug on the back of it that had been unplugged and wrapped in electrical tape. I've seen this done a couple of times iirc - giffer thing? don't understand it at all. Anyway, that's back in and working, and sounds fantastic. No need for new speakers. 

The passenger footwell is damp again, but I suspect it's done what Rover 75s do with blocked bulkhead plenums. I'll investigate that soon. 

I've got some new tyres to fit (aren't Uniroyals great value?) but I'm not doing that just yet as I need some spigot rings for the wheels - alas they're trapped in the postage purgatory that currently is Royal Mail.

• 2 weeks later...