Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

V50 has been MOTd and delivery has been arranged for Monday.

As promised it's had a clean pass, which apparently required two new tyres on the front. 
Now I know the traction control on these Volvos doesn't like cheap tyres, and it just strangles all the power if the wheels try to spin - you need good quality, grippy tyres on the drive wheels. So if there are some half worn branded tyres on the back, and budgets on the front, I'll be swapping them around. Let's see what we get...

18 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Do like a V50, it’s high up on the list of contenders to replace the C5 when we do. 

Yes,I'm thinking one would make a decent replacement for my mk4 Mondeo when the time comes to replace it.

God,I'm getting old,I'd never have even considered a Volvo a few years ago!!!

😂

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - new arrival

No description available.

Volvo in, surprisingly it got here under its own steam with a trade plater who then left with someone else in another Volvo, I expected a flatbed. 

It doesn't appear to have been washed or valeted (dealer has only had it a week or so) but that's a plus in my books as I'll do it myself. Little bit of paint pen to clean off the windcsreen, sticker residue from a GB sticker on the back, etc. 
First impressions are very good - it feels a lot faster and more planted than my C30, with a lovely smooth and direct gearshift. 
The driver's seat bolster has a crack in it - TADTS, it's a synthetic material, but as far as R-Design seats go it's in good nick. Nothing is broken and everything feels clean and tidy - the screen protector is still on the Parrot kit, the R-Design badge in the grille hasn't lost its decal (a lot do), load cover present, two keys, books and history. All the pads are new, oil is fairly clean, and in the last year it's had a new brake master cylinder and new wishbones and droplinks. It's certainly been well cared for.

This little display on the mirror caught my eye, I thought 'this is an R-Design not an SE' - then I realised it's a compass! 

Happy days. More to come... 

In Civic news, the caliper is most definitely knackered. I need to keep moving it about on private* land as we've got tradesmen in at the moment, and this has revealed that the caliper is dragging like fuck, and well and truly knackered. 
Once it's MOT'd (going to have to pay for a retest unfortunately), it's off to a mate of mine in Huddersfield (same chap that's minding the Micra a few pages back) who knows the car and is over the moon with it. He offered me my money back on it which I'd be daft to refuse, and that's part of the reason I managed to get the V50. 

Part of the reason that I got the V50 is that over the last year my dad's really started to show his age, and he's hung up his spanners. 😔 I need something more modern and less tired than a 20 year old Civic to use daily, and seeing as this V50's been kept so well and they're really simple to work on as long as you have Torx keys, it seemed like a no brainer. 

Back to waiting for the post to arrive... 

19 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Volvo in, surprisingly it got here under its own steam with a trade plater who then left with someone else in another Volvo, I expected a flatbed. 

It doesn't appear to have been washed or valeted (dealer has only had it a week or so) but that's a plus in my books as I'll do it myself. Little bit of paint pen to clean off the windcsreen, sticker residue from a GB sticker on the back, etc. 
First impressions are very good - it feels a lot faster and more planted than my C30, with a lovely smooth and direct gearshift. 
The driver's seat bolster has a crack in it - TADTS, it's a synthetic material, but as far as R-Design seats go it's in good nick. Nothing is broken and everything feels clean and tidy - the screen protector is still on the Parrot kit, the R-Design badge in the grille hasn't lost its decal (a lot do), load cover present, two keys, books and history. All the pads are new, oil is fairly clean, and in the last year it's had a new brake master cylinder and new wishbones and droplinks. It's certainly been well cared for.

This little display on the mirror caught my eye, I thought 'this is an R-Design not an SE' - then I realised it's a compass! 

Happy days. More to come... 

That's lovely!

18 minutes ago, FakeConcern said:

Well that wasn't in the video!

that was from 2018, it probably wasn't there then.
It's been there at least six weeks though, based on the BCA contents bag I found in the driver's door.

Ah, dealer's replied now. He's not happy with it either, apparently it's supposed to have been cleaned and they've half arsed it. He offered a valet (which it doesn't need now), I said I've basically already done it and he offered £45 cash in lieu. I'll take that. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On

I loved my V50 (a D5) but it was a bit too modern for me. You're right about the tyres, only Michelin Cross Climates coped with the D5s torque. It chewed through wishbone bushes and front tyres though (could be more the D5s than the 2.0) and was just starting to show clutch issues when I sold it. If the clutch action starts to feel notchy or sticky, then it could require new hydraulics which I was told by my indy Volvo garage was an engine out job on mine. Ultimately the clutch pedal can stick down. One of the best looking small estates of the period and very comfortable. The only thing I found annoying was the underwhelmingly un-Volvo like small boot!

• 4 weeks later...

V50 just works.  The shitey Chinese tyres are starting to show their shiteness, braking is poor and they don't grip fantastically. I'll replace them soon. 

Our neighbours regularly lend us their pressure washer, so I was sent off to pick one of our own up for us.  

Turns out it had a snowfoam attachment, so I had a go at washing it:
 20210228_151227.jpg

received_474281890409851.jpeg

It comes up rather well. 
Stuck some alloy wheel cleaner on it too: 
20210228_144952.jpg

which made them a lot better but I think they need another pass. 

20210228_152821.jpg

Cracked boost hose will need attention soon. 

Other jobs to do include cleaning the seats, claybarring and sorting out some condensation in one of the headlights. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - incoming?

I've seen a lucky Marketplace find nearby that screams 'profit' at me. Popular, not known to go wrong, low miles, needs very little for an MOT (CV boot, driver's seat insecure, and a V62), and I reckon there's a good £3-400 in flipping it if I shine it up a bit. I messaged the seller who'd only just posted it, asked to view it tomorrow morning, and he marked the listing as 'pending' which takes it off Marketplace while keeping contact with the seller.
Going down with dad in the Volvo, Machine Mart is on the way there, which I'll be dropping into to buy a tow pole.

It's the smallest car I've ever bought.

Any guesses?