Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

22 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

MX5 appaers to have early onset HGF so I'm just bailing out of that as it needs too much spending on it. Interesting swaps welcomed. 

Blimey you dont have much luck with head gaskets do you?

you need to buy something that doesn't have one or even a head, like a Leyland national :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Civic just works, nothing to report. 

MOT is due at the end of the month so I should really buy it an o2 sensor for belt and braces - though I don't think EML is a fail on a car that old. 

I got a competent chap off a regional MX5 page come to look at the er, MX5. Had a cursory nose about, was under no illusions that it was a going on 30 year old car, and he offered me proper money for it too, and extra for the Lorbers on top. Very happy days there. £200 down and he's coming back with a lift later this week - he'd wanted to drive it away! 

Now the search for something a little tidier can begin, I really want to get something that I can consider a proper keeper for once (not that the Civic isn't!). 

Current budget is 2k but that'll increase as I'm in no rush to buy something.

Further win - buyer has already told me he's coming back Weds evening for the MX5. 
I've actually had a really good experience selling cars on Marketplace, that's my third one this year (the other two being the Jag and the R53). The only thing I've sold on eBay this year has been the 306 estate I had last winter. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 6:14 PM, Ghosty said:

I'm going to check the brake caliper sliders, as they always seize on Civics and aren't hard to do. 

I did have occasional judder braking before. 

Guess what I never did. 

Guess what the only MOT fail item is - seized nsr caliper. 

The ticket runs out in two days so I'm looking at that tomorrow. MX5 is gone and never heard from the chap again. 
A guy I know in Huddersfield wants to buy the Civic and I want to get a Volvo V50, so Covid permitting I have plans, but that could equally be very up in the air.

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - occasional update

Good read! I don't know why I hadn't seen this thread before now especially as you had a C30, anyway I've read the lot and enjoyed it!

A V50 sounds like a nice idea a sort of C30 estate.

On the subject of C30s, I've been collecting models of them in in various scales and wondered what scale and make the model you have is?

21 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

A V50 sounds like a nice idea a sort of C30 estate.

On the subject of C30s, I've been collecting models of them in in various scales and wondered what scale and make the model you have is?

They quite literally are lol, same car forward of the B pillar! 

It's a Saico model in, uhhh... checks eBay history_ 1/43. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101037595834

This is it. I should be getting it at the end of the week, it's getting a year's MOT and then being delivered. Deposit down, payment on inspection and delivery. 
The Parrot Bluetooth kit is a winner as it has music controls, you could get V50s with aux and USB but not Bluetooth. 

I think V50s are great. We have just bought our second. I put 35k on a 2005 2 litre diesel a couple of years ago and we have now got a 2009 1.8 petrol.  For me they are a useful size, have a nice interior, are reliable, fairly easy to work on and pretty nice to drive.  What's not to like?   The only pain in the neck for routine maintenance is a pollen filter change. You'll know what I mean after you have done it for the first time.....

12 hours ago, bigfella2 said:

@FakeConcerndo you have to do a paid car check to get previous adverts up, can't seem to do it? 

Sorry to hijack, as you were.

No you just need to make a free account, it doesn't always pick them up though, but it did for both my most recent C4 VTS & C30 and obviously this V50. I did a paid check on the Volvo before I got it and it was really good showing all you need including HPI check.

12 hours ago, Ghosty said:

It said FSH in the ad, but that's fucking gold. Thanks! If I don't have precise details I'll be getting them from Volvo then. 

Even better than you thought then.

This is from the ad in 2018

January 2018

Listed for sale

HY10NLG Volvo V50

Metallic Sapphire Black, Two Tone R Design Sports Interior, Heated Seats, Winter Pack, Information Centre, Air Conditioning, 2-zone Climate Control, Cruise Control, Electric Windows/Mirrors, 6 Speed, PAS, ABS, DSTC Traction Control, Front and Side Airbags, ISOFIX Child Seat Preparation, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, 5x Three Point Seat Belts, 5x Headrests, Lumbar Support, Centre Armrest, Roof Rails, Auto Headlights, Headlamp Washers, Front Fogs, 17in Volvo Alloys, Remote Volvo Alarm, Just 1 Lady Owner, Only 68,000 Miles, Full Volvo Service History From The Supplying Dealer, 8 Stamps in Service Book, Costs over £23,000 New, Can Achieve Over 58 MPG, Just £190 a Year Road Tax. Not Subject to T Charge. Alternative to SE LUX Premium Sport. Every Vehicle is Subjected To a Rigorous RAC Approved 82 Point Buysure Inspection and is supplied Fully Serviced With a RAC Platinum Parts and Labour Warranty, 1 Years MOT, 12 Months RAC Roadside Assistance i...

8 hours ago, Ghosty said:

That really looks a lovely car! It's really funny peculiar for me as it looks just like mine inside except then you see rear doors and a huge boot...

I have taken the cup holders out so I have a big central storage space, I have never used them in any car as I don't drink and drive...

Did you find the video by googling the number plate? Always worth a go as I have heard of it  bringing up pictures of a smashed up car with no insurance write off catagory (so not showing on HPI) sitting at Copart or similar, obviously best to do this before you buy haha...

We have a few of these at work known as SRV's Single Response Vehicles, all are late registered 2.0 td's and they get driven hard! Work did have the newer 1.6td's but they were found to be underpowered with all of the equipment on board so they got rid of them and kept the 2.0td's, they all have around 200.000 miles on them and have been reliable, normally only see them V,O,R because of equipment on board failing, probably a good buy

5 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

That does look very grown up! I'm pleased and disappointed in equal measure!  I'm sure Junkman would have found you a nice 405 wagon for the same money non?!

Good luck with it.  

Junkman actively tried to sell Ghosty a 405 saloon from stock, but was unwilling to part with his estate.