Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

Clutch is in - the one that came out is noticeably worn compared to what came out. Not sure how fucked but the raised sections had worn down to the level of the grooves between them. 

It didn't look OE and there was a code in marker pen on the bellhousing so I reckon the car's had a clutch and/or gearbox at some point. 

Also the slave cylinder is shagged so I'll be getting one of those too. 

Just need to re-mount the gearbox now - it turns out my dad hadn't thought further than bolting the clutch on and somehow expected to be able to lift a gearbox off the ground with some rope and a trolley jack. 

A skateboard and some bricks have been deployed now, and it seems possible, but I've done my back in so dad might farm some help in for that. Besides, I need to go to work.  

More as it happens - I'll be commuting in the MX5 for a couple of days then...

20201101_133135.jpg

It's a bit better as boss had a case of the Mondays (common occurrence) and I had a lazy day too. With some help the gearbox is more or less mounted, a Blue Print slave cylinder was ordered with same day delivery from Amazon and just arrived (even with same day postage it was £10 less than ECP with discount), and the driveshafts are coming tomorrow. 

Mk1 MX5s don't bother my back, they have comfy seats. 

Well, the clutch doesn't fit- it bolts up but the gearbox won't seem to mount, and the old clutch is narrower. 
Old Man has scratched the cover plate to fuck trying to mount the gearbox while I've been away at work and insists he's going to return it to ECP as 'it doesn't fit' even though all the part numbers are right. 
Yeah, good luck with that. 
He's going to try and put the old clutch back in then farm the job out, thankfully he'll pay. Happy birthday, right? (I'm 25 tomorrow). 

The thing is, it bolts up, and the part number etched into the part is the right one on the Exedy website. 

It just doesn't fit, and the parts have a different profile... 

I'm wondering if the gearbox having been off in the past is relevant. 

17 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Well, the clutch doesn't fit- it bolts up but the gearbox won't seem to mount, and the old clutch is narrower. 
Old Man has scratched the cover plate to fuck trying to mount the gearbox while I've been away at work and insists he's going to return it to ECP as 'it doesn't fit' even though all the part numbers are right. 
Yeah, good luck with that. 
He's going to try and put the old clutch back in then farm the job out, thankfully he'll pay. Happy birthday, right? (I'm 25 tomorrow). 

So glad I'm not your Dad. 

Well I don't think he ever went to ECP. (My boss used to work for them and when I told him my dad's plan he just lol'd). 

The gearbox wouldn't even line up properly with no clutch in, so having run out of patience and knowledge the local garage/MOT centre we like was called, and they said ok, booked it in for Monday and it'd be back Tues. 

They then called again and asked if they could take it right away, and sure enough they did, so who knows when I'll get it back. 

On 11/12/2020 at 7:34 PM, Ghosty said:

Well I don't think he ever went to ECP. (My boss used to work for them and when I told him my dad's plan he just lol'd). 

The gearbox wouldn't even line up properly with no clutch in, so having run out of patience and knowledge the local garage/MOT centre we like was called, and they said ok, booked it in for Monday and it'd be back Tues. 

They then called again and asked if they could take it right away, and sure enough they did, so who knows when I'll get it back. 

That makes absolutely no sense and I'm baffled ! 

On 10/31/2020 at 6:32 PM, twosmoke300 said:

Don’t be surprised if you have a slight side to side wobble under acceleration after tho .

Newer civics snap the shafts like that too 

On a proper run it does constantly :(

What causes that and do I need to run away? 

I think that the engine mounts needing a tighten might have been the issue... 

Also fitted a replacement gear lever trim.  More testing tomorrow... 

MX5 appaers to have early onset HGF so I'm just bailing out of that as it needs too much spending on it. Interesting swaps welcomed.