Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

2 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

umm i think you got that arse backwards

The Calibra was introduced to belatedly replace the Manta and to counter the Japanese sporting coupés of the period. It employs the running gear of the first generation Opel Vectra, which had been launched in October 1988.

The main difference with the calibra and the mk3 cavalier/vectra A was the all calibras got IRS rear suspension and only Gsi, and 4x4 cavaliers (turbo and 2.0) got it....(all saloons) 

The rest of the cavalier range (including the V6) got the rear beam, which was interchangeable with astras and mk2 cavaliers (I know people fitted the V6 rear beam to mk2 cavaliers so they could have discs and 5 studs.)

But the cavaliers with IRS rusted much quicker in the area. 

21 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I think of them fondly as I has several as company cars including this K reg facelift.

CVS Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0CD K275 YNH.jpg

I think the reason that I like the mk4 astra, is that it's so similar to the mk3 cavalier, like the only face-lift ever that made a car slightly smaller. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Just waiting for some warranty BS to get sorted on the spaceship and the Cav will be pressed into daily use. Spaceship is going back to the dealership after work tomorrow for the air conditioning to be fixed, I said I'd only buy it if the a/c worked, they said they couldn't regas it as it leaked and gave me the car as is as it would take a week to get the a/c man in apparently, so someone would be in touch for a house call to fix it (what, even though it's leaking?). Naturally this never came, and my first email to them was dismissed with 'we'll chase this up' and nothing more.
They strung me out for a month in total and I've had to ask for a refund on the car (working a/c was a condition of sale - breach of contract) to convince them to fix it, they gave me the same response at first that I called them out on, supposedly they've finally found an a/c person to fix mine and someone else's, and it'll be done on Tues. As such I'm dropping the car to them after work tomorrow, and it's courtesy car roulette. They claim it'll be fixed on Tues which I severely doubt, and that's the only chance they're getting as they've had a month.

The cheapest car they currently have for sale is a fucking Juke so they'd better bloody not give me that.

The story with the Cav, anyway.

Aside the a/c crap giving me a bad taste in my mouth with the spaceship Civic, I also can't stand the clutch pedal, it's way worse than the type R I had - it's over sprung, so it's really hard to hold the biting point. Also, the gear change is horrifically vague and I keep bouncing off the synchros because of how long and vague the throw is. The organ pedal e-throttle is awkward too.
Further to that there's a knocking droplink, and the tyres (5 year old Landsails) are so shit the ABS can't even stop them safely, if you brake hard the car just locks up - in the dry. I resent spending money on it, and driving it just frustrates me and makes me wish I was driving something a bit more me. I kept thinking 'I wish I was in something else, life's too short'.  A few people have commented to that end too, that a modern car just isn't right for me? I started looking quietly for a more 'me' replacement, with Cavaliers on the mind. I've always had them in the back of my mind, and I've even viewed them before and walked away.

Thursday morning I'm on FB, and an R8 comes up for cheap on a Rover page. 416 auto, 39k, MOTd for 10 months, bad paint but no rot, £750. Hmm! I enquire and the seller says I'm second in line, and he'll send me some more pics and check with the first guy and give him 'a couple of hours'.
I go back to Marketplace, and without even searching for them specifically (though I have been doing), I stumble across the Cav. Now that's more like it... vague pics and description but no rust visible, I check the MOT history and it's never had a rust advisory... all sounds pretty good. I think about it for a bit and weigh it up vs. the Rover. The Cav just appeals more... after 4 hours pass and nothing's heard on the Rover, I message the Cav seller who instantly replies and is available that evening. Fuck it, why not? I do the maths, and I can get to Bilston where the car is in two hours - giving me enough time to view it in the light and bail out if it's bad - I thought to myself, it's either going to be a complete dog or a gem.
Sure enough, as soon as I've arranged this the Rover guy comes back and tells me I'm next in line and sends a few more pics. The entire car is lacquer peeled and pogweaseled, and the tyres are shot (it had a set of kerbed Rover 45 wheels -I reckon it didn't have those on it for MOT). Given it's in Southampton and the tyres are badly cracked, I think better of it and pass. Cav it is. So straight out of work I jump on a train and go and view the thing. It's as good as you could ask for in a Cav, yes it needs a couple of bits but again, Cav, so they cost peanuts and I'll order some stuff when I'm paid next week.

Drove home faultlessly.

I didn't know what to expect with the Cav - I know how Astras drive though and I really, really like it.

Turns out it was exactly the car I'd hoped it'd be. I love it, as a cruiser and commuter it's just perfect. I'm sure it'll take whatever I throw at it. I'm not going to restore it, just maintain it. It's a perfect daily really - I don't find myself needing cruise for what I use it for, and the autobox makes up for that. Sod the aircon, and it has ABS, so we're good. Comfy, quick enough, reasonably economical, iconic.

Sorted.

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I didn't know what to expect with the Cav - I know how Astras drive though and I really, really like it.

Turns out it was exactly the car I'd hoped it'd be. I love it, as a cruiser and commuter it's just perfect. I'm sure it'll take whatever I throw at it. I'm not going to restore it, just maintain it. It's a perfect daily really - I don't find myself needing cruise for what I use it for, and the autobox makes up for that. Sod the aircon, and it has ABS, so we're good. Comfy, quick enough, reasonably economical, iconic.

Sorted.

I had 2 1800 ls when they were two hundred quid cars. I'd echo what you said. They just do most things well. Excellent cars. Shame no one sells something similar nowadays.

Courtesy car roulette has given me a 14 plate 1.2 petrol Qashqai.
It's not been washed or valeted, there's a dent in the door, the suspension is too soft, the electronic handbrake is a pile of wank, I can't see out of it, the TPMS light is on, there's no fuel in it, and it's on a trade plate. Oh, and kicker, a/c doesn't work.

It's fucking grim. Got to tolerate it for tomorrow then I can sack it back to the dealership, see if I'm getting the spaceship back or telling them to give me my money back, and start driving the Cav.

Yeah, holed condensor, no chance of an a/c fix today, they quoted next Weds for a regas. Dumped their almost MOTless Crapqai back on them and left with my car. Could have torn them a new arsehole but the saleswoman had conveniently had to leave early, so nothing to do. They're getting an email as I absolutely can't be fucked going there again. They've wasted enough of my time. Technician tried to tell me trade plate negates MOT - it categorically doesn't. Also not driving on trade plates for a week in an unvaleted Qashqai...
Insured the Cav, Admiral valued it at 5k which is nice.