Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - red leicester: Civic MYSTERY TAPE
20 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

One of my one time regular customers, also in Leicester,just round the corner from me, has a very similar Civic saloon in bronze, think it's a J reg, in daily use. Think he's had it since new. He's also a late MG ZT diesel, bought new, and a modern Mercedes but always seems to use the Honda. Seems impossibly small compared to modern cars. Sons got a current model Civic diesel which seems enormous to me, for what used to be a small car. 

Just seen it when I took the dogs for a walk. Bumpers bent down on all corners and some wheel arch rust though not bad for a car that's always lived outside. You'd think a small car with square corners would be easy to park, but apparently not. 

15 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Just seen it when I took the dogs for a walk. Bumpers bent down on all corners and some wheel arch rust though not bad for a car that's always lived outside. You'd think a small car with square corners would be easy to park, but apparently not. 

The arches can rot like fuck on the sedans, but repair panels are available. It's pretty normal for the bumpers to be bent on them - the one I have is one of the only Hondas or Rovers I've seen that  doesn't have bent bumpers. 
It's worth saving when the time comes, the brown is a bloody nice colour and if it's manual it's worth good money cleaned up. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - red leicester: Civic MOT looming

It's been a dull few days car wise as I've been waiting for parts and time to fit them - I unexpectedly found myself at a loose end today so got a few bits done.

spacer.png

Civic's going for an MOT on Monday, as with a bit of tape on the rear arches it should* pass just fine.  There's very little MOT prep to do, though.

• Rover has new rocker cover gasket and distributor o-ring, to inhibit a leak.
  • Civic brakes bled. New discs and pads needed at some point, and a rear cylinder as the nipple sheared and the hard line goes into it on the piss - suspect cheap replacement. 
  • Civic has a new air filter - no pics as it's a pancake filter up against the bulkhead and there's nothing to see, and it's 30 seconds to change. 
  • new battery on the Civic as it was completely dead.
  • bit of T-Cut on the wheeltrims to spruce them up

Civic is waiting on an oil filter to arrive, and a cambelt which I'll be changing on the bank holiday weekend at the end of the month. 

The Civic's original Honda branded Philips radio was broken, turning it on the speakers emit a pop to suggest it's alive, but the LCD panel is dead and there's no sound apart from some faint static if you turn the volume all the way up. So I had a look on eBay for period radios, couldn't find much though. However I did find a very neat looking Alpine radio for £fair, so I got that. It came today, so broken radio out:

spacer.png

It's a blessing this has a factory Philips radio and not the National Panasonic one some Civics came with - these early 90s Philips radios were designed by someone intelligent - instead of a proprietary connector like 99% of head units, Philips just used ISO sockets, which makes changing the radio a breeze - factory ISO plugs on the loom means no need for bodgery or multiple wiring adaptors as is often the case on old cars (Civics with the National radio need an adapter for ISO). 

Which means, in a matter of minutes: 

spacer.png

tuneage was instated. It's a lovely subtle unit that looks like it was made to go in the Civic, is the easiest radio I've ever used, and also the best sounding. Wasn't cheap being Alpine, but in a car like the Civic it's worth every penny.

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - red leicester: Civic MOTd!

So after work last night I did the only logical thing and went for a drive in the Dales for a few hours. The Civic didn't miss a beat, it's starting to show a few signs of improvement in fact - at first the clutch was a little slippy, but that seems to have stopped now. There's a little bit of pulsing from the brake pedal, but new discs and pads for the front are in order anyway. Tracking needs a tweak too, but that's easy. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - collection time

Watford Gap achieved, after a bit of a roundabout route from Stoke (I vastly prefer the M1 to M6, especially if I'm in the Accord).  Only casualty so far is a snapped exhaust rubber, which has been replaced with a cable tie. 

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Ignis Sport... haven't they got the funky Recaros? 

Yep, fishnet Recaros with a yellow accent. Very comfy. Tilt adjustable rear seats too. 

I considered sleeping in it in the FoD as the seats fold flat (I do fit!) but it's a bit of a hard surface and I don't have a camping mat, also inside needs a damn good clean so I'll give it a swerve and head home soon (still at FOD). 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Nice! Did you find the asda? 

Yeah no problem! 

It's a hoot to drive and doesn't seem to have any faults, it needs one or two little bits but nothing major is screaming at me yet, apart from the fact the gear shift is akin to that of a Peugeot 205...