Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

11 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I spy aftermarket alarm goodness too... also how hard would it be to find some mini filters for those throttle body carb things? Those flares may already have that on though.

Someone's already had a go at taking the alarm out, all the wires that come out of the siren are loose. 

This easy,   though I need to look inside the trumpets tomorrow. I think the lack of filter is part of the reason it has air/fuel issues. 

Just now, Ghosty said:

Someone's already had a go at taking the alarm out, all the wires that come out of the siren are loose. 

This easy,   though I need to look inside the trumpets tomorrow. I think the lack of filter is part of the reason it has air/fuel issues. 

It looks like a Clifford unit is fitted. Maybe still check for any shiny boxes with multicolour wires hanging out under the dash somewhere. At least someone's already gone through TEH PANE of dealing with an alarm blaring in your ears.

Those look like some nice filter thingies. I wonder what the MPG is like with this setup?

16 minutes ago, 3VOM said:

Not Clifford,  so Piranha Sigma Viper Toad Cobra?

Checked, it's Hawk. There's no evidence of anything anywhere, apart from the siren and an (inoperative) LED on the dash next to the (non-standard) choke knob.

image.thumb.png.30a336e6da7c56e2cc04819b1eea2188.png

20 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Checked, it's Hawk. There's no evidence of anything anywhere, apart from the siren and an (inoperative) LED on the dash next to the (non-standard) choke knob.

image.thumb.png.30a336e6da7c56e2cc04819b1eea2188.png

Oh good. Nuffink to worry about it looks like! Nice.

So there are two part worn Dunlop StreetResponse on the front of the Rover now and the handling is so, so much better. 

I've replaced the radiator on the Aerodeck (it came with a new one as the original was knackered) and had a bit more of a look at the carbs. The float bowls are leaking to fuck so they need taking off and cleaning up. The diaphragms are OK but one or two have some creases. 

I took off the alarm siren that I thought was disconnected and this angered the aftermarket alarm gods, however I found an inline fuse in the interior fusebox and pulled it, and normality was restored. 

I also found that the 670Ah battery fitted was too big for the tray so took it out and replaced it with my 620Ah spare which hit perfectly - leaving me a perfect high capacity battery for jump starts.

Lots more work to do to get it running...

Looks alright that aside from the daft mods. 

Beyond me why they have made the inlet manifold so long, another inch and you’d have been able to fit the filters from the drivers seat. Are those carbs solidly mounted or just clipped into the end of the hoses?

On 6/1/2021 at 6:05 AM, Rod/b said:

Looks alright that aside from the daft mods. 

Beyond me why they have made the inlet manifold so long, another inch and you’d have been able to fit the filters from the drivers seat. Are those carbs solidly mounted or just clipped into the end of the hoses?

Longer inlet manifold = more mid range torque, less top end. Although it’s more complicated than that to do it right. 
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/25236/how-does-intake-manifold-runner-length-effect-the-power-curve-of-a-car

What’s the white turning to yellow pipe attached to the inlet manifold? Is it the remains of the fuel injection system? 

On 6/2/2021 at 6:10 AM, rainagain said:

Is it the remains of the fuel injection system? 

nope, it was never injected. I think it's a vac line but I need to see where it actually goes. 
The vacuum advance is missing off the distributor, and I think someone's fitted the wrong fuel pump... 

Vac advance wasn't missing (but there is a vacuum port going to atmosphere next to it?), however the pipe had perished so I replaced it. 

No description available.

Things are looking a bit better - the shitty wheels are off, different shitty wheels are on, paint is mostly off the bumpers and side trims. 

I accidentally pulled one of them off (clip holders broke) and I came off work to find that my dad had bonded the clips back on, but also painted it satin black for some reason. I refitted it and it actually looks OK so I've given him the rest of them to do.

But what's that on the ground?

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Couple of thoughts on your carb situation.

Bike carbs do normally run with an electric pump but a v.low pressure one, like 7psi or something. So if the pump is too pumpy it could maybe overcome the float valves and make too many petrol all up in your engine?

The other thing I thought is that a typical inline 4 bike engine is tilted forward maybe 30 degrees and the carbs are at a similar angle, not sure if this could also cause trouble with the float levels not being where they should be.

On 6/2/2021 at 6:10 AM, rainagain said:

What’s the white turning to yellow pipe attached to the inlet manifold?

Further to the above, it was indeed vacuum advance for the dizzy. 

There is some sort of inline block in it that looks like a fuel filter - dad thought it was a non return valve but I could suck and blow air through it both ways and you could see right down it, it seems to be hollow  so not entirely sure what it does. 
Still need to work out if the other vacuum fittings need blanking off too. 

More messing about today, this time with some G3. Suddenly the naff blowover is shiny and smooth! The door trim needs securing properly at the back (the rearmost clip is a bolt and they always shear) but it's looking pretty bloody good. The satin black trims are a great contrast. 

There's a really tidy car starting to show up. 

20210604_202151.jpg

20210604_192426.jpg

20210604_192049.jpg

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - *shiny* red decker

Out of curiosity I put a screwdriver behind the rear numberplate on the Rover, and it pinged off.

So I finally got my new rear plinth on, and it looks so much better for it (I have no idea why it's sideways):

20210605_192320.thumb.jpg.7f9a02bcdbb3f8f861e2e2a4fb094ca7.jpg

Aerodeck has its side trims back now, and is looking rather good: 

20210605_195719.thumb.jpg.b3ce888d438196571c7b5607c2933b1a.jpg

20210605_195740.thumb.jpg.cdc0d92b30d06294b08ff692f0982708.jpg

The wheels were £100 on Marketplace (they're XXR 501s - some oxidising but they're straight and not kerbed, and the right specs for a very cheap size of Toyo Proxes TR1. Anything is better than those horrible rattlecanned 17"s that came off, and weighed a fucking ton to boot.