Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

Spoke to the chappy at that yard in Altrincham today and he said they recently had a 106 in which had done 5000 miles from new!! Deceased estate and the kids just wanted it gone. 

Funnily enough they sold that one on too! He said they got £1500 for it! 

When a new C1 is £250/month on pcp, who wants to spend £1500 on an old 106?

Not my attitude, but does seem to be the attitude of many these days.   Yes, once you've had the C1 for 6 months you could have outright owned the 106, but again, many people don't seem to think like that any more.

Mind you, had that 106 been whiteroomed and advertised in the right places I would expect it could have made at least double that.

New runner, interior refitted, and the driver's seat is in and securely bolted down. It's a bit stiff to move back and forth (wonder if one rail is on the piss slightly?)  but that's no big deal. 

Now, it can be driven on some private ground and I can have a general pre-MOT look over. 

The only thing left to do is investigate the handbrake. 

20210322_191025.jpg

On 3/19/2021 at 2:33 PM, Talbot said:

When a new C1 is £250/month on pcp, who wants to spend £1500 on an old 106?

Not my attitude, but does seem to be the attitude of many these days.   Yes, once you've had the C1 for 6 months you could have outright owned the 106, but again, many people don't seem to think like that any more.

Mind you, had that 106 been whiteroomed and advertised in the right places I would expect it could have made at least double that.

I had my Peugeot 107 for £250 a month, but that included insurance and servicing. When you're young, or starting to drive, that sort of deal is hard to turn down. 

I think though, given the 106 did 5,000 from new, the moment you actually use the car properly anything held together with rubber would need replacing. 

106 test drive: success. I'm the wrong shape for it (knees don't fit behind the steering wheel) but it's an absolute hoot to drive. I bet the Saxo VTR/VTS are a lot of fun. 

The handbrake is absolutely dire though, so I'll adjust that this afternoon. 

The handbrake, which did at least work at one point, now doesn't, it turns out.
Had a look at the rear drums. They're of the self-adjusting type, so to get the tension back in the cable I have to use the cable adjuster. 

Now where might that be? 

Under the centre section of the exhaust heat shield. 

That's one for tomorrow, if I don't feel shite as I've just had a Covid jab.

I think you may be able to do it from inside unless I'm getting confused with 306?

Under the rear part of the centre console, behind the handbrake and coin bit? Am I going mad and suggesting all Peugeot's are the same or just plain wrong?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address please, boys and girls.

2 hours ago, Arthur Foxhake said:

I think you may be able to do it from inside unless I'm getting confused with 306?

Under the rear part of the centre console, behind the handbrake and coin bit? Am I going mad and suggesting all Peugeot's are the same or just plain wrong?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address please, boys and girls.

That's 306. 
No rear console on the 106, and the cable goes through the floor at the lever. Coin holder is between gearstick and handbrake and that's where the console stops. 
I've had the carpet up and the cable just isn't there and there's no access. 
I've also been under the car and I can see the adjuster under the heatshield. 

Had a go at adjusting the handbrake today. Took the heatshield down, two of the studs holding it down sheared off. Typical. It's still secure though.

Adjusting the handbrake was pretty easy and it's made an improvement, one side works but the other doesn't quite lock. 
No adjustment on the drum either and I think the cylinder is leaking a bit. Rebuild time?

I went to the local scrappy as they have a tyre bay and had two (virtually new!) partworns stuck on the rear wheels, as they had perished 20 year old Goodyears on. £20 fitted :grin: 

21 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Good chance you will need shoes if the cylinder is leaking enough to see from outside 

had the drum apart, cylinder's only leaking mildly. the shoes look fine. 

I couldn't work out where the drum adjuster was with the drum off,  but I think I did manage to poke at it through a stud hole before I took the drum off. I bet it's too slack there. 

Volvo now has a cracked front splitter thanks to a pheasant with a deathwish, knocked one of the foglight blubs out too (but the lens is fine). Weirdly the foglights appear to be H4s.
EML came on on the way home, but it's since cleared itself, and it no longer thinks there's an unbelted passenger in the back seat. 

Volvo's cracked intercooler hose has now completely failed - the crack is about 3" longer now, and throttle usage is now accompanied by a big whooshing sound. I was trying to put off ordering a hose, but I'll have to now.
I also need to work out a way to clean the cream leather parts of the seats. 

Back to the 106. Looking at the brake drum, I found that the wheel cylinder is mounted by two 5mm Allen headed bolts, which have spent a quarter century exposed to the elements.  When the first one of these rounded at so much of the thought of being removed, I elected there's no way in hell I'm getting that on and off. 
They're fucked, and access is an arse without disassembling the entire drum, so I took out the shoes and put the innards of the new wheel cylinder into the existing one, and bled it up, after finding that the bleed nipple was blocked. 

Put it all back together and the handbrake is marginally better but still doesn't lock, however the lever feels better and isn't going up to the sunroof any more. I'll go back to the handbrake adjuster under the car tomorrow as I know there's still a ton of adjustment available. 

There definitely isn't an adjuster on the drum. The only thing I've noticed is if you poke a screwdriver through one of the lug holes at approx. the 2 o'clock position, there's a bit of a click and the brake starts dragging.  But looking at the innards, there's definitely nothing there, as the mark from where I've been poking is on the arm that actuates the brake shoes... 

Tomorrow will be more handbrake adjustment, and some odd jobs on the V50. 

Re; V50

My C30 handbook states that H7 is the foglight bulb so I ordered some LED versions from Halfords, but when I took them out, it has H8!

It also has the same cream and Off Black seats as yours and although they weren't too bad, the light part was difficult to get cleaned up with usual interior and leather cleaners.

I found someone on YT who used Pink Stuff and thought it was effective, I haven't tried myself, but have ordered some...

I did sucessfully touch up some tiny patches which looked bleached out with this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLOURLOCK-Leather-Fresh-Dye-for-Volvo-interior-repair-scuffs-touch-ups-150-ml/222218041989

It seems to have gone up in price quite a bit.

My C30 T5 in case you're interested...

https://autoshite.com/topic/33874-my-t5-not-scene/page/3/

21 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

I found someone on YT who used Pink Stuff and thought it was effective, I haven't tried myself, but have ordered some...

I got some Pink Stuff and gave it a try as my seats were iffy too. 
It works well - use it VERY sparingly though, a smear on the end of your finger is all you need. Swirl it in and clean it off, then leather conditioner to finish. 

So, for a while I've been missing a particular car in my past that I did an awful lot of miles in, and frankly I shouldn't have sold it. I was browsing through FB, and on the FB group for these cars there was a marketplace listing for the car I'm buying. Prices have gone mental lately (seemed to coincide with their thirtieth anniversary) and they've got a lot harder to find in the last few years. I know my old one isn't for sale, and as much as I'd love that car back it probably won't happen. 
But one in almost the same spec appeared, the only differences being the seat fabric and two letters on the boot badge. Years MOT, new battery, cambelt done, history, a DAB radio, and a very fair price. And it's only just been listed. 

It's in a small town between Crawley and Brighton. Arse. 

Mother Ghosty adored the car and has joked about me buying my old one back before (it's one she can drive too), so when I showed her this one she didn't object.  We just knew we had to have it - and I'd been planning to buy something we could both drive later this year anyway. Alas, things always show up at precisely the wrong time, but we can work around that. 

So I messaged the chap, and he hasn't sold it yet. I tell him I know these cars well and notice some mutual friends on FB, one of which I sold the old one to. I pointed this out. The seller sent me an absolute fuckton of photos and details, and while it certainly needs a hand cosmetically, it's nothing too hard and solid in all the crucial places, and an excellent base for a mild spruce up. 

The seller seems to have clocked by now that the car's going to find a good home, and having the people I did on my friends list, elects that I'm probably alright. To this effect he offers me a mild discount on the price - but included in this, he offers to meet me at a train station with the car so I don't have to get it all the way home from Crawley. 

I wasn't sure what to expect or where to suggest that wasn't too far or out of the way, and I was gearing up for a fully fledged collection mission, so I was mightily surprised when he offered to meet me at Birmingham International! 

I can't say no to that so a new addition to the fleet is coming on Sunday. 

No clues, because you don't even need to guess what it is. 
The fifth.  

Just now, Dave_Q said:

"Hello, can I order a headgasket set for a RELIBULL HONDA ENJIN please?"

Or do you keep them in stock?

I probably should keep them in stock. 

You're right, it's another Honda powered R8. It's an addiction affliction...

This is a pic I took at FOTU 2018, you can just about see my future purchase in the background. 
People kept confusing that car for my one - soon, it will be my one. 

IMG_1169.JPG

22 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Every single drum brake ever made has an adjuster.  Post up a photo and I'll bet you a fiver I can point one out.

20210401_144501.jpg

How stupid am I being? (the brake is cleaner now, that was as I found it)

I found an instance of myself on teh interwesbs looking for pics from FOTU:

at 4:03 you can see me talking to Puddlethumper and a chap whose name I forget but he was a taxi driver in Leeds, his was the Anglia van. I think we'd lost some people heading to the FoD and were discussing a course of action. 

16 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

How stupid am I being? (the brake is cleaner now, that was as I found it)

Automatic adjusters on this one, a pretty smart design that unfortunately is very unreliable :

spacer.png

If the adjuster teeth are not worn out, a good clean may get them working again. They're pretty cheap, though, so I normally just replace because taking drum brakes apart over and over again is soul destroying !