Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

lunnun 

on a sunday

via pubic transprot

100% committed

charles manson is less crazy :D

Yeah. Got a KoLeCsHuN trip to Brizzle in new year, which I was planning to do on the train. But I've waved the £35 fare in front of my mate who will be driving me in his V8 XK - and not losing any money.  He'll be getting a burger for his troubles. 

Trains are shit, even when they're working. I feel really sorry for anyone forced to use public transport at this time of year. 

Seller acted dumbfounded when I told him what was up. I cba dealing with him in case he does me over and the cars in my name (and I'd like to keep it) so I'll leave that as it is. 

AA man came pretty quickly. Told him what was wrong and he just said 'we're not even looking at this' and ordered recovery. 

The shell is rust free but needs new bumpers, a sunroof drain is blocked and it needs the idle control valve cleaning, and apparently it wants a droplink. For the brief time it ran on four it ran well. 

Waiting for the flatbed now before I decide what to do next. 

25 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

To be fair, an engine swap should be straight forward and a great opportunity to upgrade. I just hope the price was right.

For a rust free manual that I'm selling the air conditioning off, it was definitely right. 

Car is on a flatbed. I could have gone with it but 300 miles at 54mph maximum in a 7.5 tonner is not the one. Especially when the car needs relaying between trucks - it'd take far too long and I'm tired enough. Think I'll get pissed on the train. 

Got my mate to drop me at the nearest London bound train station. I should be home for 1am. 

1 hour ago, Yank Tank said:

that looks like a complete dog and my spidey senses aren’t very often wrong.  run for the hills laddo

Engine aside it isn't - there's no rust in the rear arches which is unheard of, and the interior is in excellent nick. It's got a smattering of new parts on it too, and Continental tyres with good tread. The tappets don't even need doing. 

I'm fairly certain it's done the standard issue D-Series water jacket into cylinder thing, been sat a while, and when it's woken up that's it for the gasket and the coolant goes out the exhaust. No mayo and the oil cap was properly tight so it hasn't been cleaned off. 

I'll need to inspect it but I'm fairly sure it won't need a head skim. 

Some of you guys haven't been on here long enough to know that Ghosty does the headgasket on 100% of his reliable Honda D-series engines, and it shows.

If the gasket wasn't blown at purchase it would have been by the Woodhead pass, that is just how the world works.

This way is arguably more efficient

Well, didn't expect it here this early - I was asleep! 
Typically it started just fine this time, and drove into the garage with a bit of white smoke. 

Stuck a code reader on it, and it came back with inlet air temp high, o2 sensor, and a load of misfire codes. 
Off to work now, more later...