Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Done this multiple times. It doesn't leak. 

I wonder if its worth checking any of the manifold connections or the exhaust manifold itself or what have you?

my car has an exhaust leak from one of those "part of the exhaust but not actually the exhaust itself" bits

baffled us at first as we thought she sounded a bit "exhuasty" for lack of a better word so we put a hand over the exhaust and gave it some revs in hopes of seeing where it was blowing

and nothing visibly came out of anywhere but the car ran just fine still so the exhaust must of still been coming out of *somewhere*, eventually Zel had a good look underneath and spotted that one of the exhaust downpipes had a hole in it and was blowing

(so not the exhaust itself thankfully)

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - 106 remedial work

Had a look at the MOT fails on the 106. 

Exhaust leak - there really, really isn't one. Bullshit. 

CV boots: I was told 'they've come off on both sides'. 

Driver's side one needs re-clipping yes, but the passenger side one is firmly in place. I'll concede that there's a pinhole under the clip though. I have a universal boot to stick on it. 

Rear brakes - took the bad shoe off and disassembled it, assembled a new shoe. 
Haven't put it back in yet as fitting the handbrake cable is a PITA. New brake shoes will definitely sort the brake issues. 

20210501_154804.jpg

14 minutes ago, spartacus said:

I was a tester a long time ago and that just wouldn't cut it, you can't tell a customer, 'there's an exhaust leak' but then not show them one. Get him/her to allow you under the ramp and then show you exactly where it is.

I will be next time. The fail sheet says 'multiple places' too, ugh.

Today I convinced myself to go outside (in the rain, because LOGIC) and finished fitting the brake shoes. The handbrake cable was much more compliant today so it was a piece of piss. 

Result... Working handbrake 😄

Into the garage to start looking at the CV boots then as that's all that's left to do. There's plenty of space to walk around the car in there!

In doing so I found what is most likely the source of the battery drain issue, the switch for the courtesy light in the boot is iffy and doesn't properly break the circuit when it depresses unless you give the tailgate a whack after you shut it. 

I resolved this by unplugging the switch. 

Curiously the car un-immobilised itself when I connected the battery to move it, and I didn't have to put the code in. I wonder if it carried over the active state from when the battery was disconnected? 

20210504_144630.jpg

20210504_144711.jpg

51 minutes ago, loserone said:

Or stuff the end with socks and see if that makes it more obvious

I did this with cloth and it seemed fine. I think a clamped joint has a slight leak so I'll cover all the joins in exhaust paste.

yep, looking at it again today the mid section/backbox join is leaking through the clamp, it isn't obvious from a cloth test but it does push water out that way. Every Pug I've had has had backbox issues, I had an identical issue on my 306 for one. My 205 DT had a blowing backbox too, but iirc that had holed. 

Exhaust paste deployed... 

CV boots have been tied on with something my dad calls locking wire as neither me nor him could get cable ties, metal bands or jubilee clips to hold the boots on. Nearside one was pinholed so has been sealed up from the inside in the name of expediency. 

Would there be any interest in a ROFL for the 106 when it has ticket? 

12 hours ago, Ghosty said:

yep, looking at it again today the mid section/backbox join is leaking through the clamp, it isn't obvious from a cloth test but it does push water out that way. Every Pug I've had has had backbox issues, I had an identical issue on my 306 for one. My 205 DT had a blowing backbox too, but iirc that had holed. 

Exhaust paste deployed... 

CV boots have been tied on with something my dad calls locking wire as neither me nor him could get cable ties, metal bands or jubilee clips to hold the boots on. Nearside one was pinholed so has been sealed up from the inside in the name of expediency. 

Would there be any interest in a ROFL for the 106 when it has ticket? 

Yes please, I have wanted one of these for years and I am seriously respecting the work you're putting into this.

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - 🥁🥁🥁🥁
  • Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - 🥁🥁🥁🥁 MOT pass, roffletime

Local Volvo dealer could only tell me dates and mileages of services, so I need to contact the original dealer to see what they have to say. 
I really hope it's not on its original belt. 

if it comes back as belt roulette and this chap doesn't have it I'll just fuck it off to WBAC as nobody wants to buy it. Volvo serviced it up to about 60k so it might have passed a belt interval with them, unless the first owner sold it when the belt was due. 

~~~

Only twelve tickets left on the 106 roffle - I don't think I'll have a draw ready for Sat night but midweek is looking very likely. 

I'm sure I offered someone on Zoom a free ticket - make yourself known to me if you still want it as I've forgotten who it was - Fumbler possibly? 

Wouldn't it be better than selling it to wbac just to put a fresh belt and pump on it if it's still on the original/ or meet half way.

Not that I'm pretending to know how much a belt and pump is on these, am sure Sierra man would be up on this as it's essentially a Mondeo engine??