Ghostly Goings On - over the moon

Ghosty

15 hours ago, Ghosty said:

More mild annoyance today. 

No description available.

This is the tailgate. 

The grey plastic numberplate plinth bolts on to the tailgate from inside, which is OK, there's access.

What's less OK, is that at some point someone's spray painted it for some reason. With no prep. The paint had terribly inconsistent adhesion and is completely the wrong shade for anything on the car, and looks like arse, and removing a GB sticker lifted a lot of it on the far side of the pic too. 
I tried to scrape it off as evidenced in the right side in the foreground of the pic (nothing to lose), but results were mixed. Also, that 16v badge is held on with an excessive amount of superglue, so is junk. 

What's even less OK, is that the rear numberplate, that replaced the (admittedly fucked) original plate at the last MOT, about two weeks ago, has been fucking well SUPERGLUED onto the trim.
I have a new trim on the way from a local Rover guy (I went to pick it up today but the chap mistakenly told me he'd be in through force of habit, but wasn't, so he's said he'll drop it off to me), but if I want to fit it I'm going to have to get a new numberplate, too. 

(hey! an excuse for old font plates!) 

So you're buying a period correct plate to fit your new panel? Perfect! 👌

I was looking at photos of Pandamonium's old 400 yesterday and the original rear plate looks bob on. Always liked the look of them in white too. 

FB_IMG_1563137179569.jpg.f9b7715eb77679db35bdc33b790a217f.jpg

Good post day - cap and arm have come for the Rover so I'll be fitting those shortly. Further to that, and of potential interest to @Dave_Q, I got a letter from the DVLA saying that the V5 for the 106 is going to be processed on the 16th. Good timing as I'm being paid a visit today by its potential new owner. 

I think I've also got some jobs to do on the Bini as my dad's not up to them at the moment. Slightly scary as I'm not usually allowed to touch it 😬

106 is provisionally sold. Winner. 

New dizzy cap and rotor arm fitted to the Rover, it's a little more lively now. I think it needs an ATF change though. I also reseated the clock bulb as it isn't a great fit, used a bit of double sided tape to neaten up some trim and hide the DAB aerial wiring under the dash, and blew the accessory fuse trying to use a tyre compressor (oops). 

Fitted some new coilpacks to the Bini, the oil change on that can wait for another day. 

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - 106 MOT time

Had a mess about with the 106 handbrake again yesterday. The adjuster had seized, after unseizing it and messing with the cable some more, the handbrake got a lot better, to the point I'm happy to send it in for MOT, so off it goes tomorrow. 
Watch this space... 

I put the Volvo up for sale on FB a few days ago, the only message I've had about it was an offer of a straight swap for a 2015 Seat Ibiza FR with 32k miles but a Cat S. I politely declined. He messaged again 'best price m9' but didn't reply again. 
I'm confused how little interest it's getting. 

Probably worth autotrader? 

From a scan of ebay prices I don't think you are far off, there have been similar age ones gone for more recently but there are also a lot of older ones, 1.6 diesels etc selling for a lot less.

People on facebook just looking for an car will go for one of those, you need to find someone who really wants one in that spec.

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I'm confused how little interest it's getting. 

Market is a bit odd at the moment, I've noticed ever since restrictions somewhat eased, there's quite a lot of things, especially outside of the truly 'cheap AN car market' hanging around an awful lot longer than they were a month ago, where even if they were up for £500 more, would have sold rapidly.

I presume it's because people are now travelling a bit more again so are willing to cast their net a bit wider for 'Bargain M9' stuff, when before the focus was more on local=better and demand was far outstripping supply.

WBAC value on the Volvo is £2850. 

They won't give me that I don't think, especially with the cracked splitter and a couple of small dents and the kerbed wheels. 
I'm sure I can get over 3k for it myself. 

I'd go for an eBay classified over Auto Trader personally, it costs less for longer.

That was a bloody fun drive home. Waft turned up to 11, She Sells Sanctuary on the radio, etc. Only thing I didn't like was that the seats don't seem to have adjustable lumbar support. 
Oh, and one of the rear seatbelts is excessively mouldy. 

Best part is I got paid handsomely for my work.

• Ghosty changed the title to Ghostly Goings On - 106 MOT time; a Range Rover visits
On 4/20/2021 at 1:45 AM, Ghosty said:

WBAC value on the Volvo is £2850. 

They won't give me that I don't think, especially with the cracked splitter and a couple of small dents and the kerbed wheels. 
I'm sure I can get over 3k for it myself. 

I'd go for an eBay classified over Auto Trader personally, it costs less for longer.

If I'm being brutally honest, it's strong money for one with a damaged bumper and that potentially has no history. If you know it has volvo history and you want good money, do the legwork and it'll help no end.

106 is available for sale BTW, the buyer has dropped out. 

58k, dented to fuck but no rust whatsoever. Will come with 12 months MOT.
Seems to have a battery drain issue.  

£450 shiteprice, need it gone as I have a piece of AS history with my name on it that I want to replace it with. 

On 3/24/2021 at 7:55 PM, Talbot said:

and how much did it cost him to buy into that, how much is the final payment/trade-in value after 3 years, and how much is excess mileage?

Either way I'd rather have the 106.

Sorry for such a late reply!

The deposit was £119.  The monthly WAS £119 for a 48 months.  He was allowed to do 8,000 miles per annum.  No idea what the excess mileage charge is.

I say was as they’ve just let him buy it outright for £3,390.  Absolute bargain as he’s only just gone over 11,000 miles in it.

The only anomaly might be that the car was pre registered at a Peugeot dealer in Bradford and had 60 miles on when he travelled from Liverpool to get it.  

There were literally hundreds of these 108’s and C1’s pre registered 4 years ago so that they would be £20 tax as the minimum rate became £145 in May 2017 I think.

Unsurprisingly a fail. Thought the brakes were OK but they're not up to much, nor is the handbrake. 

Oh and the drivers window winder is now broken as I forgot to tell the tester it doesn't open fully. 

Need to have a think about if I want to fix it, if anyone wants it off me for £cheap that'd work too. 

Screenshot_20210423-123858_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

The deposit was £119.  The monthly WAS £119 for a 48 months.  He was allowed to do 8,000 miles per annum.  No idea what the excess mileage charge is.  I say was as they’ve just let him buy it outright for £3,390.  Absolute bargain as he’s only just gone over 11,000 miles in it.

So he's paid £9221 to date for a car he's barely used.  I wonder what the list price was for the car at the start of his payments.

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

Unsurprisingly a fail. Thought the brakes were OK but they're not up to much, nor is the handbrake. 

Oh and the drivers window winder is now broken as I forgot to tell the tester it doesn't open fully. 

Need to have a think about if I want to fix it, if anyone wants it off me for £cheap that'd work too. 

Screenshot_20210423-123858_Chrome.jpg

Two split boots, a leaky exhaust and a set of rear brakes that need cleaning up and refitting.

1162755200_notgreatnotterrible.jpg.1faa9f02ec7c8e34147efa32b06fb8cc.jpg

6 hours ago, Talbot said:

So he's paid £9221 to date for a car he's barely used.  I wonder what the list price was for the car at the start of his payments.

Who knows?  I would guess list price was £12,000?  Who pays list for a Peugeot anyway?!

He’s a head teacher so has 13 weeks off work and his commute is just over 5 miles each way.  He’s not someone who has the slightest interest in cars, motoring etc.  It was never going to be a high mileage car.

To him, it’s just a tool to do a job.  He asked me about it at the time.  He said he wanted a small petrol car that could be parked on the street in a rough area.  Non negotiable items were AC, Bluetooth and a digital radio.  It was just a box ticking exercise basically.  

9 hours ago, Talbot said:

a leaky exhaust

The strange thing is that the exhaust definitely doesn't leak, and it's confused a few of us. It is a bit loud, but my 306 was the same, the exhaust ends behind the rear bumper and is resonates a bit, especially as the spare wheel is AWOL.