Cityrover should I?

montytom

Having had two of these, my biggest piece of advice to anyone considering scratching this particular itch is; buy a Mk2 version!

They are better in so many little places, and at this level, those little changes really do count. They are dead easy to tell apart (reg year alone is not enough as plenty of Mk1s hung around at dealers and picked up late registrations); Grey interior plastics = Mk1 original, Black interior plastics = Mk2 the never actually launched, post bankruptcy 'improved' version. 

1 hour ago, catsinthewelder said:

From new in most people's eyes.

I did think the same but having driven Ian's I've got nothing against them now.  Felt a lot like a Suzuki Alto to drive and they are a lot of fun on the right road.  Might even buy one in a year or so if driving lessons fall to me but for day to day use I need something bigger.  I suspect the 1.4 Cityrover won't do the 60mpg you get from the 900cc Alto either but might be a bit cheaper to buy.

I want to drive one and compare it to my Peugeot 107. But I don't want to purchase one just for a test drive. I'm not James May.

Being honest, as I've found out, the biggest issue is parts supply. Rumour seems to be that MG Rover was even breaking brand new cars to try and feed the system...

They share almost nothing with any other European car, so that's out as a source, despite people thinking it's a Peugeot engine. It's easier to get bits for a Perodua.

1 hour ago, BeEP said:

I'd listen to the three people on this thread who have owned/driven one and say they're not that bad.  Isn't this forum meant to support the unloved?

We all support the unloved. It's why I asked the reason for wanting one.

If he wanted one to save / enjoy for the future then hell, go buy it now.

But @montytom needs a car for a 70 mile commute every day. This is not that car.

As per comment from @Bitzer. Go buy a 1.6 focus mk1. They are brilliant fun. Except for the rust 

I wouldn't normally condemn a car before actually driving it but my mate Alan worked for MG Rover as a mechanic in Royston Arnold Clark back when these first came to the UK.

They were unsold cars from Tata which had been in a field for years, sold to Rover after their executives were groomed whilst on the piss. He said they had spark plug holes full of coolant when they hit the workshops for 'prep' so each one needed a new head gasket before sale.

He said it was beyond fucking words how dreadful they were in every respect. It's a really sad sign of the state Rover was in at the time. As such I would not go near one even if it was free. Most are thankfully dead now.

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Being honest, as I've found out, the biggest issue is parts supply. Rumour seems to be that MG Rover was even breaking brand new cars to try and feed the system...

They share almost nothing with any other European car, so that's out as a source, despite people thinking it's a Peugeot engine. It's easier to get bits for a Perodua.

Are there no entrepreneurial indians who can ship suitable bits of Indica from the home country? Has even Ali-express washed its hands of this sad excuse for an automobile? #prayfortheshittyrover

7 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Are there no entrepreneurial indians who can ship suitable bits of Indica from the home country? Has even Ali-express washed its hands of this sad excuse for an automobile? #prayfortheshittyrover

They’d be better off buying up all remaining Cityrovers and sending them back to India.