Cityrover should I?

montytom

Theres a cityrover near where I live for sale. It needs the handbrake adjusting and a regulator for the window. Its had welding in the past and needs some in the future. It has done a total of 11000 miles. I could get it for 200. I'm not sure what to do. I drove one years ago and it was utterly dreadful. What a dilemma. I hope the pictures come out ok. It looks like it might have aircon aswell. 

Screenshot_20200619-110353_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200619-110356_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200619-110404_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200619-110410_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200619-110415_Facebook.jpg

Short MoT, I'd be tempted to go in with an offer just above scrap as the only other person who will buy that will be the scrap man. You already know it will be crap, so that's half the battle won and if you feel the need to get reacquainted with one then now is the time as there'll be none left in a year or two.
The window mech is an easy fix; source a second hand one on eBay. It'll be the steel cable on the runners knotted up. It also appears to have missed the recall notice to have the 'wheel trims of death' removed, so the fact it retains its wheel trims is worth it for me! ?

theyre shockingly shit , my dad had one that was nearly new and it sucked then

if youre just wanting a cheap motor , then no run away ...almost anything else will be a better drive 

if you want forum points for suffering the shittiest car and enjoy the most misrible motoring possible then crack on  

7 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

What's the motivation? You want a City Rover or you need a car and your budget is 200 quid?

My mondeo gave up the ghost and I need something cheap to get to work and back for a few months. My focus st does 25mpg and I drive 72 miles a day. I'll be honest I had one as a courtesy car for a week when I was 18 so 15 years ago and I didnt get on with it back then but maybe getting older I'm really liking the idea of them. I'm confused it was cheap hence me jumping towards it but maybe I should hold fire. It's just a pain with the mondeo giving up its put me in a place of needing something sheepish. 

Besides what you have just written, I know nothing about you / your life etc etc

But for the love of God, don't buy one to get yourself out of the shit iro commuting. It's only done 11k and it will shit itself if you ask it to drive 70+ miles a day.

You didnt like them when you were 18, you wont like them now.

Use the money for fuel in the ST or find something else.

I'm sure you already have, but there are plenty of sub 500 quid cars on FB / gumtree, that will give you better service / comfort than a City Rover.

3 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Besides what you have just written, I know nothing about you / your life etc etc

But for the love of God, don't buy one to get yourself out of the shit iro commuting. It's only done 11k and it will shit itself if you ask it to drive 70+ miles a day.

You didnt like them when you were 18, you wont like them now.

Use the money for fuel in the ST or find something else.

I'm sure you already have, but there are plenty of sub 500 quid cars on FB / gumtree, that will give you better service / comfort than a City Rover.

Thankyou thinking about it. It does seem a little silly buying it. It was just cheap that's all. I think I'll give it a miss

Thankyou everyone I really do appreciate it. You guys have knocked some sense into me.

It was a knee jerk reaction seeing a cheap car for sale and me needing a car to get to work and back. 

Again thankyou everyone it really means alot to me that there are people that have more sense than me. 

3 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

At what point does a CityRover become a ShityRover?

From new in most people's eyes.

I did think the same but having driven Ian's I've got nothing against them now.  Felt a lot like a Suzuki Alto to drive and they are a lot of fun on the right road.  Might even buy one in a year or so if driving lessons fall to me but for day to day use I need something bigger.  I suspect the 1.4 Cityrover won't do the 60mpg you get from the 900cc Alto either but might be a bit cheaper to buy.

17 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Ask yourself, do you REALLY want to endure 72 miles a day in something that is dreadful to drive 72 miles a day in? There’s probably a reason it’s done 11k in 16 years.... and the two probably relate. So you know the answer.

get it bought. 

Thing is, they're not that dreadful to drive. Seats aren't ideal for longer trips, but it rides well, pulls very well for its size and while the gearchange is pretty horrible, there's enough torque that you don't have to change gear very often. Unlike the Matiz, which has a horrible gearchange AND requires you to thrash the knackers off it in every gear.

2 hours ago, montytom said:

Theres a cityrover near where I live for sale.

Why havent you bought it already?

44 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

The moment they left the forecourt

4 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Thing is, they're not that dreadful to drive. 

This.

And that in 10 years there will be exactly Sao Penza levels of these around in the UK. They will then be worth double what you paid.

59 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

48 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

From new in most people's eyes......

25 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

When it rolled off the boat from India.

I was already calling it a ShittyRover when the news broke that Rover would be rebadging a Tata Indicar rather than sink funds into developing their own.

Indian design, therefore shite. Especially after the G-Swiz.