Great to see you back on here. The Jag is undoubtedly shite and more than worthy of gracing these pages. As for that MOT pass, just wow. They're normally a bit ginger underneath so this one must have been looked after. What a total barg! 

How's the Alpine engine rebuild? 

Just now, Dick Van Diesel said:

Great to see you back on here. The Jag is undoubtedly shite and more than worthy of gracing these pages. As for that MOT pass, just wow. They're normally a bit ginger underneath so this one must have been looked after. What a total barg! 

How's the Alpine engine rebuild? 

Thanks Dick! Unfortunately Annie needed a new block but I found one from a chap in Hinckley who's a member of the Simca Owner's club (& used to drive people around in XJ40s incidentally) so I paid up the £100 for that on Sunday & dropped it off at the engine builders on Monday, admittedly getting a little giddy when they asked "what colour do you want us to paint your engine?"

£600 is crazy cheap for even a rough XJ40 now, and that looks quite nice.  I've seen breakers go for more than that. Even after the engine rebuild and exhaust work, you'll still be in clover. The XJ40 has always been my favourite Jag too, in fact, it's the car which got me interested in old cars in the first place (a family friend had a Kingfisher blue XJ6 which sparked the interest) so there's always a bit of nostalgia involved when I see these.

If I was asked what colour I'd like my engine painted, I'm not sure what I'd reply with..."Engine colour, please.", perhaps. 

Just now, Grey the Floydian Sergal said:

is the shite not strong with this one?

Are you kidding???  It's meat and drink to a Shiter!  There's a lot of Jag love here, including at this very keyboard, so keep those updates coming.  You did well there in every way.

1 hour ago, TheXUDfiles said:

£600 is crazy cheap for even a rough XJ40 now, and that looks quite nice.  I've seen breakers go for more than that. Even after the engine rebuild and exhaust work, you'll still be in clover. The XJ40 has always been my favourite Jag too, in fact, it's the car which got me interested in old cars in the first place (a family friend had a Kingfisher blue XJ6 which sparked the interest) so there's always a bit of nostalgia involved when I see these.

If I was asked what colour I'd like my engine painted, I'm not sure what I'd reply with..."Engine colour, please.", perhaps. 

I should clarify, the Talbot is having the engine rebuild at the mo, the jag doesn't need any engine work

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Are you kidding???  It's meat and drink to a Shiter!  There's a lot of Jag love here, including at this very keyboard, so keep those updates coming.  You did well there in every way.

Thanks very much, I'm very much chuffed with this car

No, electrically well overhauled and in great state. This was a hose letting go and boiling on Westminster Bridge Road in the traffic. Limped to Kennington Tesco car park with the gauge off the scale and doing a decent impression of a steam powered car. Survived intact. These 6.0 jobs are surprisingly robust and after 170k miles this one will be properly run in soon.

I have to say the bodywork on that Morocco Fishtank holder looks amazing. Dare I ask if you have checked the base corners of the rear screen and the bulkhead? That killed most of them. What’s the last 6 numbers on the VIN? I had a sneaky glance at the production data for the 40’s once and mine was flanked on each side by 4.0 Sovereigns both Morocco and Magnolia. Mine is 686276.

Top Shite right there! £600 is a bargain for an XJ40 that passes an MOT. Most really are scrap now. The 4.0 is the best engine and indeed what a delight being able to run one as a daily on account of the LPG! I had a 4.0 Sov on a G-plate and it held the road nicely and indeed was deceptively fast. It was all great until someone rear-ended me at a zebra crossing and that wrote off the car. I’m more of a X300 man myself due to liking the old Jag looks, but the XJ40 (essential the same underneath) deserves real respect as a very forward looking move from Jag at the time. Moroccan red is a gorgeous colour on these. Top marks, well done. Will follow with interest! These are always dead cheap to insure for some reason. I paid £120 renewal on my classic car policy for a supercharged XJR the other day. Unbelievable.

L-reg is pretty late in the run of the XJ40 so it will be much better built than the earlier ones. Also at that point production has almost transitioned to X300, so lots bits of the transition carried through the late XJ40s making them better again. Your car may have been built the same year as my XJR6 which is built late in 94.

23 hours ago, ChinaTom said:

I have to say the bodywork on that Morocco Fishtank holder looks amazing. Dare I ask if you have checked the base corners of the rear screen and the bulkhead? That killed most of them. What’s the last 6 numbers on the VIN? I had a sneaky glance at the production data for the 40’s once and mine was flanked on each side by 4.0 Sovereigns both Morocco and Magnolia. Mine is 686276.

The bulkhead's perfect & there's a tiny bit of bubbleage at the bottom of the rear screen, repairable area though

Great news on the bulkhead. The rear screen needs to come out to effect a ‘lasting repair’ - it’s a proper design flaw on that rain channel. I had mine done comprehensively about 10 years ago and now one side needs doing again. The sunroof, once the edges have gone is a replacement job too, although they aren’t as hard to find as they used to be.

whilst I’m happy for you to have picked up a proper decent one for 600 it does depress me that these are still so cheap! I’m holding onto mine in the vague hope that one day it will be worth something like the amount I have put into it. Just in time for the banning of fossil fuels I imagine....

On 6/19/2020 at 7:10 PM, ChinaTom said:

Great news on the bulkhead. The rear screen needs to come out to effect a ‘lasting repair’ - it’s a proper design flaw on that rain channel. I had mine done comprehensively about 10 years ago and now one side needs doing again. The sunroof, once the edges have gone is a replacement job too, although they aren’t as hard to find as they used to be.

whilst I’m happy for you to have picked up a proper decent one for 600 it does depress me that these are still so cheap! I’m holding onto mine in the vague hope that one day it will be worth something like the amount I have put into it. Just in time for the banning of fossil fuels I imagine....

I don't think it would be easy to find another one like this for only £600 - I think he has found a real bargain here. I wonder how many people have an XJ40 on Autoshite. I know you and I have both had one for a great length of time but I tend to think of them not being  that much of a 'shiter's car, possibly people think the're too heavy on petrol?

Mine, joining the bonnet up theme:

36469150930_97f8d39358_b.jpgP1130239 by *D*B*, on Flickr

17 minutes ago, Magnificent Rustbucket said:

I don't think it would be easy to find another one like this for only £600 - I think he has found a real bargain here. I wonder how many people have an XJ40 on Autoshite. I know you and I have both had one for a great length of time but I tend to think of them not being  that much of a 'shiter's car, possibly people think the're too heavy on petrol?

Mine, joining the bonnet up theme:

36469150930_97f8d39358_b.jpgP1130239 by *D*B*, on Flickr

Me! Me! Me! 

Well I've not got it yet, soon though! Although it's not moved in 18 years so might be a bit of a challenge...

• 1 month later...