Maxxo desperately trying to save another picasso from bad owners

maxxo

thought this may be some fun reading,

as you know my awkward weird 55 plate picasso which shouldn't exist was owned by my grandparents who proceeded to ruin it......

well they bought another one, a 2009 with low miles and a nice example.........which they have proceeded to ruin,

so where to start, well they picked this tidy example up for £1500 (i could buy 5 cars for that!)

1.6 16v petrol, bit new to be a true picasso as it's not completely flaky but hey ho

gets mega points for the colour though

20190530_123334.thumb.jpg.5b5843574c8561000ff0aac51fc2dcf3.jpg

darker interior than the rest of them, quality feels worse, no shopping trolley in the boot, no storage on the fusebox cover, 2 engines to choose from and not much character

has velour though!

20190530_123321.thumb.jpg.7854fdbdd2a8c2b8a3040a2ad42ee2fa.jpg

not a bad car, so very very quiet and was in very very good condition...........

first things first, after 2 months of ownership......smash it into a wall and destroy the chrome trim, buy new chrome trim, then put filler on the plastic bumper (not sanded) and paint it with a brush and a pot of touch up paint

image.png.76d15e665308608e9aa0d37b9ad82d3c.png

fair enough i suppose, not my car not my problem.....looks dreadful

bump into a few more things, and scuff all bumpers and repair with the same method

so MOT time came around, which it passed with a brake imbalance and weak sills (ah typical picasso) but that's fine and they're not fixing it.......

image.png.435fda70a80af436a000498fc374f53b.png

of course immediately start on the side that wasn't an advisory......but had slight surface corrosion coming through yet was still rock solid

my grandmother decided the best way to fix it would be to peel the underseal off!!! leave it like that for 2 months with no sealant or protection then do her "repair"

are you ready for this?

UT1AUNwJQDV8PQDkRSoEFGXFiYOyIZMta3ttScID46LjJ0j-QoLt2kN5FIyc-aKpMBK9Z9KVv0-d1WHqYYYIjj-SqFsQMUotVuSsiow3zFb0Q1IdZ_6BZpS0h7-q74UVytHVk2QXCoiHsZWmiHqLhEfTz09AjC-6LLHfWWaIfGaZldZQTPX3X06EJvoJMVOoeu4S9QTBb1AqeauiSji8fAS1ESBGrJt_IrxfPuGItcX1rVapnqBfFPLxaFJqSUpWyuwUFp2Sl-7uIAiL78Fu7TwPjNgLZDpvwIYYTqtTcKQEXyooENiGgxOFBs6zxO3KTsS9mM4lcNJrShrYCiOu7nvd4cKbM7z1Ve08wEmVrxT3hKknj1xWQXKsnRir4AtkN2DspVSNufdx1txu26QuKw_8M4AMl85jDtSFtkqtjIkyqXxfEgTZ-XfHdtnGI9eYUWcU7ORDGdIBhMkMLQNQtGfYDhxjCXSibfnwDXAqSmUJ9nqRIWhGw3I2NXlsogHQyRWZFpU0bL8x_KfK9CFi5U9-R-80o036945264pmdJZOjF_WkZWnq_qQU45mk1siWW8Hltw9gxlA-pQ-o42PLb8K-9fxVFo6K-YjoXms5hAYMMSRmZoE6tY6Uj_h-fFfcQbYCl2Llph7IbcgHENZzsZCQYEqsvGQBmmF490BZrnxBbYaWVkGKtmpm562gw=w1239-h929-no?authuser=0

3BE8EWrmez1DgPL6LOxQKQi_fPeuUIIxa8DiC2d0YJUBBu7aX5fEOVKKeD_wCz0jeiuUMm18Cs_gci60CbcrkFtLeJttuCYBiBPK768Itgc3UHb0n0T3RWVJVkVL1E6jqxevb2hSxvoLTLOEsJZKmvlbgMDbE9VIkH2GnSB9eLkWRjWpbfcr7VLDfDbNsJksy2yZRL1dewZI-flMiS4H3pp9fU7oxTxLgLZEwVVl3-wlX-xbx-rAAeKd5F5qvujtxILyMZZ3ZI8tqSmuPN_zlGYRZ63K-ir4IbfvyCHUOyePdU6YKpcKIND0ummlv9sY_mWsT4UZib0z-WWdresbfKNejIwB8F1jl4sjJlx2KwiPq2KHjvnCSdCTlWTeAdVkFFJdUwKuWUfjmkA_5kgCx58cK8Gh8_2pQ6VwIKKceBEvnfaK9xbhS7DWxQQltir2-nu_U733HxiqBrDvs7QNWozeFDbNoSNlGd_FARHg8A8_69h5STLp3XymVjkUtVnte7GevTu1gCZf9Z4IBDX1goTGAq4gHuHMDdlfFpJ4-mmgX9sSqydEcD3Jx4ot7psWmYFPF0X-8q0W0R6ZTjzxoiJ3MRwWBPtFd1fP3mN3mut6QyuOYtQE8FPimOppV_emRabQ-ZCDApz2N4zbrXlJmyHg1dWKR1gt63N_z0dFUZn21fDRKv-OlxlUTH7tWw=w1239-h929-no?authuser=0

*sighs*

yes that is body filler.........put on top of unprotected dirty metal, and painted in the complete wrong colour

and not even sanded smooth, or had laquer applied so it looks dreadful and it will likely rot like crazy

but wait......it gets better, spray on underseal was sprayed everywhere, again on dirty metal full of road salt and all sorts (done over winter) all over the underside and not evenly applied

not my car not my problem.....i kept having to say to myself, even though it's hard to see a car be abused like this

also note the non oem mudflaps, which my grandad fitted by drilling into the wing and screwing into it, again no rust protection

i haven't really been having much to do with that car recently due to lockdown, but now it's been eased somewhat they asked me to drive it to the local kwik shit for an air con regas

which i unfortunately agreed to.........

i noticed it didn't sound all that healthy but didn't think much of it, just thought that's how they sounded

until i decided to give it the beans to see how it accelerated.......oh my god, it literally sounded like a diesel

so i popped the bonnet and had a nosy, yup major tappet noise so of course i had to check the oil, which of course was waaaaayyyyyyy overfilled

i smelled the dipstick and it reeked of petrol, which was when i found out they drive it half a mile each way every day to the local sainsburys so it literally never got up to temp.......great!

oil was last changed by the previous owner, in early 2018, they bought it in early 2019 and have never changed the oil and ignored the service indicator.

i had to step in, i don't want to see another picasso die......they're dying out rapidly as it is

No photo description available.

so my job for today was this, the cheapest oil the local motor factors had, surprisngly fully synthetic but didn't matter, any oil is better than that

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

and this is what i took out, extremely thing almost like water and reeked of petrol

yes that is a layer of shit on top of it, that's what came out

it drained extremely quickly..........

i'm pleased to report it sounds an awful lot better now, drives so much nicer

sadly it does still have slight tappetish noise, i suspect engine damage

I will update this thread when more stupidity and me stepping in to prevent death occurs

put this in a new thread to avoid confusion with my pablo......a car which somehow survived this and lives a pampered life now

i'll get some more pics of their interior "improvements" during the next week, safe to say it's just killing the car

the state of it inside is shocking

Why not? It's something to do innit? Especially if you're around more as lockdown eases to help them look after it. 

My Grandmother has a thing for killing printers. The last episode involved her putting something she wanted to scan (the coffee machine manual) through the print heads, shredding the manual and killing the printer at the same time. I know how you feel. 

No harm in doing routine maintenance for relatives who don't give a shit, occasional oil change only takes about 20 minutes on most cars anyway. Sometimes to really throw my parents, i take their car for a 5 pound valet...their minds are blown that there is actual paint under the grime.

I don't think they've tried to ruin it. I think they've tried their best to look after it, but as with many people,  don't actually have a clue. I say better to try than not bother. 

Well done for helping them out though. If you are that worried about their car, I suggest asking them to bung £20 in the tank and go take it for a long drive for them to see if you can get it properly warmed through. 

Maxxo, good work on helping out and servicing the car - you've probably saved it from a rattly old time.

I can see how the apparent mistreatment is frustrating, but can I suggest you consider looking at it slightly differently?

The wonky repairs, the scuffed bumpers and the manky interior are not neglect, they are the signs of a most important process taking place.

The car is undergoing Giffering.

Such a process ages a car like a fine wine - developing the character and defining traits over many years, until it reaches perfection.

Take a look at @BorniteIdentity s thread on the Sierra Base. It's entire existence is written into the car, and that adds to the value of it to this community (several shifters helped rescue and revive it before Bornite has continued to preserve it).

My own Toledo belonged to an old boy in Westminster for most of its days, it's not long past 50k miles and the clutch and gear linkage are worn out. But I'm hesitant to replace them, the same goes for the suncream handprints that have eaten into the lacquer - from the children of the family I bought it off.

That's the way I look at things - although I'm not saying it's right:)

4 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Err.......I'd step away from it and let them continue ruining it, it's obvious they don't care or have a clue and the minute your back is turned they'll do something else to it.

I suppose so, it just annoys me seeing a car being abused

2 hours ago, TheXUDfiles said:

Why not? It's something to do innit? Especially if you're around more as lockdown eases to help them look after it. 

My Grandmother has a thing for killing printers. The last episode involved her putting something she wanted to scan (the coffee machine manual) through the print heads, shredding the manual and killing the printer at the same time. I know how you feel. 

oh that's true, they have ruined every single car they have ever owned, mine somehow survived

yes they somehow kill computers.....which i don't understand how as it's always the ram which fails

2 hours ago, 1duck said:

No harm in doing routine maintenance for relatives who don't give a shit, occasional oil change only takes about 20 minutes on most cars anyway. Sometimes to really throw my parents, i take their car for a 5 pound valet...their minds are blown that there is actual paint under the grime.

oh i took it to the fuel station and used the dreadful looking jetwash to give it a quick clean,

i don't understand why they don't give a shit, they said how much they like the car.....so why not maintain it?

46 minutes ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

I don't think they've tried to ruin it. I think they've tried their best to look after it, but as with many people,  don't actually have a clue. I say better to try than not bother. 

Well done for helping them out though. If you are that worried about their car, I suggest asking them to bung £20 in the tank and go take it for a long drive for them to see if you can get it properly warmed through. 

i've told them i'll take it for a proper drive once a week to get it fully warmed up and running well

i seem to think they want to look after it, but just do the opposite of what you should do

i just wish they would at least service it

24 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Maxxo, good work on helping out and servicing the car - you've probably saved it from a rattly old time.

I can see how the apparent mistreatment is frustrating, but can I suggest you consider looking at it slightly differently?

The wonky repairs, the scuffed bumpers and the manky interior are not neglect, they are the signs of a most important process taking place.

The car is undergoing Giffering.

Such a process ages a car like a fine wine - developing the character and defining traits over many years, until it reaches perfection.

Take a look at @BorniteIdentity s thread on the Sierra Base. It's entire existence is written into the car, and that adds to the value of it to this community (several shifters helped rescue and revive it before Bornite has continued to preserve it).

My own Toledo belonged to an old boy in Westminster for most of its days, it's not long past 50k miles and the clutch and gear linkage are worn out. But I'm hesitant to replace them, the same goes for the suncream handprints that have eastern into the lacquer - from the children of the family I bought it off.

That's the way I look at things - although I'm not saying it's right:)

I wasn't going to bother, or bother making a thread on it (but thought the thread might be a fun idea)

i decided i needed to at least change the oil, otherwise i very much doubt it would have any longer than weeks left to live

absolute true giffering indeed!!

absolutely the same with my picasso, the gear linkage is really stiff and worn, has patches of badly applied touch up paint but it's all character

that sierra is a total beauty!

i just hate to watch a car being killed, no matter what it is all cars deserve a long life

Plenty of people do this I’d let them get on with it, otherwise you find the phone going every time it goes wrong. Arguably there’s something to be said for living in absolute ignorance on a car at that age, so long as it’s got enough oil in it and enough coolant keep running it, apart from a select few they all end up in the same place. 

34 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Plenty of people do this I’d let them get on with it, otherwise you find the phone going every time it goes wrong. Arguably there’s something to be said for living in absolute ignorance on a car at that age, so long as it’s got enough oil in it and enough coolant keep running it, apart from a select few they all end up in the same place. 

i suppose at the moment i'm just trying to preserve it and just keep it running long enough for them to stop driving, if it goes wrong it's my fault.....

i spent ages finding that one for them, which is why it pains me so much to see it being abused

funnily enough they called me today and asked if i can do a service on it at some point soon, probably the last service it will ever have

Me and my old man used to pick up an old boys Rover 200 every now and then and my Dad would drive it to the workshop and back that day, a 28 mile commute.

The Rover owner literally only used it for Drs appointments and visits to the shop, all less than a mile away and he suffered issues similar.

Just a journey every few weeks stopped it suffereing flat battery’s, sticky brakes etc. Might be worth using it every now and then. 

2 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

Me and my old man used to pick up an old boys Rover 200 every now and then and my Dad would drive it to the workshop and back that day, a 28 mile commute.

The Rover owner literally only used it for Drs appointments and visits to the shop, all less than a mile away and he suffered issues similar.

Just a journey every few weeks stopped it suffereing flat battery’s, sticky brakes etc. Might be worth using it every now and then. 

yup from now on i'm just going to maintain it, simple enough just a standard 16v engine

once a week or so i'm going to take it on a 30 mile run

1 hour ago, Bren said:

Nothing wrong with helping family. As long as you don't get blamed if it goes bang.

funnily enough they called me today and told me how it's so quiet now, didn't tell them it could have engine damage though

Fair play to you for this. It's important to keep the pensioners on the road as, if they weren't, we'd have no dashcam supermarket footage to watch on t'internet.

Joking aside the threat of loss of mobility for older people is massive. The wife's grandad (who is a proper legened, every family should have one of him) has deteriorating eyesight and it'll get to a point where he won't be able to drive anymore. He won't be blind as such just cant see straight lines. Think he compared it to driving in heavy rain with the worlds worst wipers on the car.

So keep them on the road pal!

1 hour ago, sgtberbatov said:

Fair play to you for this. It's important to keep the pensioners on the road as, if they weren't, we'd have no dashcam supermarket footage to watch on t'internet.

Joking aside the threat of loss of mobility for older people is massive. The wife's grandad (who is a proper legened, every family should have one of him) has deteriorating eyesight and it'll get to a point where he won't be able to drive anymore. He won't be blind as such just cant see straight lines. Think he compared it to driving in heavy rain with the worlds worst wipers on the car.

So keep them on the road pal!

there has been a few things recently which has concerned me, one of the reasons i put a dashcam in their car incase he does hit something else and i can check the footage and make a judgement

he's not the worst driver i've ever seen but at almost 80 and poor eye sight it is a concern

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

there has been a few things recently which has concerned me, one of the reasons i put a dashcam in their car incase he does hit something else and i can check the footage and make a judgement

he's not the worst driver i've ever seen but at almost 80 and poor eye sight it is a concern

20 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

I’d suggest keep em off the road if they can’t bloody well see properly. 

You have to remember that, in their prime, Death Race 2000 was released. So it might very well be that they used that as training advice.

If you think that’s abusing a car, Christ years ago we’d buy like a £200 Cavalier 2.0 simply to rag the bollocks off it.

A mate of mine was looking for a car and through friend of a friend I put him in touch with a chap that was having no luck selling a Rover 414 albeit with the nice GTI alloys on it, despite this at this point a Rover 414 was about as desirable as a bout of herpes so it was ours for £25. It literally got ran into the ground over the summer then it picked a 7 during a burnout when the driveshaft went. Thinking back we were idiots but like I say dodging services is mild compared to the abuse some cars get. 

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

As said most people are clueless with cars, although the giffertastic bodyshop repairs indicate some level of care for it, so may be amenable to some education. Why are old people shopping daily; do they want to catch lurgy and become a statistic?

seemingly so, don't see much point in trying to stop them now......they say as they're healthy they will be fine, they're stubborn and i can't stop them

33 minutes ago, sierraman said:

If you think that’s abusing a car, Christ years ago we’d buy like a £200 Cavalier 2.0 simply to rag the bollocks off it.

A mate of mine was looking for a car and through friend of a friend I put him in touch with a chap that was having no luck selling a Rover 414 albeit with the nice GTI alloys on it, despite this at this point a Rover 414 was about as desirable as a bout of herpes so it was ours for £25. It literally got ran into the ground over the summer then it picked a 7 during a burnout when the driveshaft went. Thinking back we were idiots but like I say dodging services is mild compared to the abuse some cars get. 

oh that's incredibly true!

just car abuse in general really pains me, but i suppose i need to realise not everyone is like me and some people don't want to spend considerably more than the car is worth making it perfect