Stinkwheel's mostly Citroen stuff

Stinkwheel

Today some decisions were made, I’ve started in the Ami (sorry, I never actually counted the votes)

Started off by shuffling piles of crap and tools and assorted car parts around the unit to expose the chassis that’s been on its side up against a wall for 7 years.
Turns out one bloke can sort of lift/move a chassis with spring cans attached, here is proof it moved onto axle stands.....
15c90b3619a3be35f991f53c12c9bfa0.jpg

As you might be able to see on the first cross-member there is a bit of shiny metal, this ami 8 chassis had at some point been under a 2CV or Dyane (common back in the day when new chassis weren’t a thing and Amis were in scrappies for body rot)
Well instead of bolting in the handbrake someone had welded it on, pain in the behind, some cutty/Grindy/weldy action and a bit of chassis black....7cf50aec2b6ed6bcd734d6b2db4c4aa0.jpg

Good as new. Next job is to do the same to the 2CV fuel tank brackets welded badly to the rear legs (luckily the original ami brackets are still in place)
Then it’s lift body from old chassis and transfer the axles.

GSA was my old car. Sold on to do the Scally Rally. Brought to tow our then trailer tent. The logic? The Acadianne was to slow and uncomfortable, as the wife had a broken are, due to an attack by one of the pupils at the special school she worked at. I was a nice car to drive. I new it still around. I would have voted for that.  Glad its finally going to be getting some love. 

Wow, that appeared to be so easy, bet it wasn't that easy.

It was and it was not.

If you know what your doing (and I’ve been taking 2CV’s etc apart and fixing them for 25 years now on and off) it is quite easy.

If it’s your first go, there are lots of fiddly bits to really wind you up.

2 hours ago, Tickman said:

Wow, that appeared to be so easy, bet it wasn't that easy.

2 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

It was and it was not.

The Team Principal and I could have done with a hoist like that yesterday, when we were trying to get the caged and panelled racer shell back onto the chassis.  There is now metal where once there was rust and air...

It’s is a very solid body, I have the chap that bought it in from France in 2010 to thank for that. All the bits that needed doing, he did, then he sold it and the new owner crashed it, when it turned up in a salvage auction the first owner/importer bought it back. Then I bought it from him in a moment of weakness. (Mine or his, I’m not sure which)

Today I got it all buttoned back up onto the replacement chassis....

41efdc620287ed355c090c5933cbba42.jpg

GS/A fuel tank is a maybe. I will need to check my seldom ventured to small lockup. Leave it with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s some more stuff f what’s been going on.....

6bd74d8700cacd55d951fc74611332b4.jpg

It has rear wings and working oily bits. If you’ve never fitted wings to an Ami, I don’t recommend it.

It runs really sweet but I need a new starter motor as the ones I have spare are all a bit slow and high resistance and shit running, new one is only 50 quid, so that should be on its way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent. I see Chevronics is already developing GS sills by the way.

Yes, I was literally about to drop Rob a line and then I saw they were already doing it. Which is a very good thing.
Chances are Robs will probably fit better than the original pressings. Not cheap but the quality of their parts is very good.

Well if I thought the back wings were tricky.... the fronts, where it had been crashed, are proving to be very tricky.....35132e3bcc8037943c7cae0bebde8e72.jpg
It’s a lot more bent than I thought. No wonder it needed another chassis.
Anyone ever tells you these things fold up and kill you, don’t believe them.
None of the glass was even broken and yet it had crashed hard enough to buckle the chassis and mangle all the front panels.

I’ve got the front ‘nose’ as it were as straight as it’s going to get after much twisting, bashing, pressure and swearing. de259eed51546193ecd964fe4fe99167.jpg

I still think it might have a slightly lop sided face. Like an Ami stroke victim if you will. But we shall see.

• 5 months later...

Seems like a inordinate amount of time since I updated this thread, and it kinda has been, I blame actual paying work and some form of semi constant underlying depression mainly. But I’m not gonna moan. It’s just life’s
Without further waffle, here’s a bit of a picture dump for the Ami progress, which are sort of self explanatory hopefully ...
180bc42cd73650369cfc7798f21720be.jpg

5e1ac7327b166b9fa4658dabc0fbe6b3.jpg
8674c19024a4ec0152b970bfda2167e4.jpg
7e4f8196fa2fd86740586cf3b67a174e.jpg
81e8fd1533ca40eb803cd4edadbb9349.jpg
f357f9f045b85fc4b015525bbb650023.jpg

And of the visa which can be seen still on its french lates in the background above, I’m pleased to announce that after 5 years in this country, it finally achieved these...

a329df589c3ddc7f399044847ca4fc65.jpg
1b88a02f842f508b7a966ad93016d9b5.jpg

So that’s both the visa and Ami, running, driving and insured etc all in a theoretically road legal state. Which is nice.