The daily fleet - will they start?

Saabnut

Almost 10 weeks ago I got the phone call to go to Norway for work, expecting to be home in 3 to 4 weeks. It was short notice to travel, so prep time was short, so basically laying up the fleet properly did not happen. I think I took the keys out of most of them, but I am fairly sure some still have keys in the ignition! So, after 10 weeks where not even a door has been opened, I am wondering how many will start unaided, how many will start with a jump and how many will need more serious looking at! The fleet:

Cobra

Saab 900 'vert (89)

Land Rover Disco 1

Citroen AX

Saab 9-5 TiD Estate

Renault Modus Tdi

Place your bets please! I should be home late this afternoon, starting will start tomorrow.

I reckon the AX will go because there's very little to drain the battery.Ā  The 900 will go because old Saabs seem to be very good at starting on nearly-dead batteries.Ā  The Cobra might - depends if the battery lasts long enough to drag fuel up to the engine.Ā  The Discovery won't, because Land Rover.Ā  The others won't, because modern.

My crystal magic 8 ball says this:

Ā 

The Discovery, with enough luck from the ECU(s), will think it's being hotwired so will immobilise itself requiring that key-lock-turn code thing
The AX will start
The Smart should start unless something in the lighter socket was plugged in
As should the Modus
Saab should unless the battery is sooo low it can't crank the diesel engine
Cobra might or might not- I don't know!

Ā 

Well, a mixed set of results that I did not expect!

Cobra - Started nae bother.

Saab 900 - started no trouble despite the battery on it being the one it came with nearly 10 years ago.

Disco - almost started but the battery is getting week so will need a jump

AX - started straight away

Smart - no start will need a jump

Modus - started first try which was lucky as I needed it to get home, it was at a friends so was expecting to have to jump it, but started easily

Saab 9-5 Tdi - started straight away, but started to run rough, missing on one cylinder. Turned it off, tried again, cranked and almost went, then the battery died. Opened bonnet, connected jump starter and instantly started and ran well. Disconnected jump unit, and about 30 seconds later started to run rough. Good job I had the bonnet up as there was diesesal spraying everywhere. A quick look at the source, after removing the plastic cover and.....

1692694625_IMG_02591.thumb.JPG.bfdf60127b300c3b03fb268bef32f9d0.JPG

yes, rodent damage! The little barstuds have eaten the fuel hose! At which point it started to piss it down so given up for now.

On ā€Ž6ā€Ž/ā€Ž9ā€Ž/ā€Ž2020 at 12:59 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

Effing Ducati now has flat battery after being left for 4 days. Bastard.

Ā 

That'll be the immobiliser; my Monster was the same.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:36 PM, Saabnut said:

yes, rodent damage! The little barstuds have eaten the fuel hose!

They did that to our JCB some years ago after a hard winter... the pipe looked like a linear lace doily. You'd think they would have given up on the first taste of the fuel... especially as they had to tightrope walk along about three feet of it at the same time as eating it. Lots of fun ensued after fitting a new pipe, to bleed the fuel system so it would work again...