New scrappage scheme

Flat4

If I were going to buy a new car I’d likely go electric. They make sense if (like me) you only have a relatively short commute, a driveway to charge on.  And from hideous beginnings some electric cars even look ok these days (in a generic modern kind of way)

But I don’t plan to buy a new car... 

And you certainly won’t find me chopping in a perfectly working re-used car for one.

11 hours ago, Tayne said:

Step right this way Sir, the new Fiat 500 EV has a fabric roof.

You can keep that shit to yourself, thank you very much.

Weve actually got a 500 bought under the 2009 scrappage scheme, which is great- for girls.
I barely fit in it and there’s no way We’re having one as a proper car to use on proper journies.

11 hours ago, loserone said:

Hello!

F30C0DB3-64FF-4650-9F79-A2BF36E5E917.thumb.jpeg.ec1f1d678e90b906c3b474dae9bab883.jpeg

Our  family automotive Cinderella, ex @sporty-shite roffle win. Used as 140 mile a day Uni commuter, station car park E30 saver. Now reduced to being a glorified boost pack, because I’m scared of frying delicate German electrics. Also to remind me what elegant car design looks like in case, with 4 Mercs, I forget.
If it does have to go , a Roffle would be nice to let another Shiter enjoy it’s ultra-reliable 45mpg  charms.

6 hours ago, Jazoli said:

We frequently get this at work (Hotel in the Lakes) people turn up with zero range left in their cars then go into full on panic mode as we don't have chargers, I have on occasion had to lend them a generator to charge them up, and insisted that they don't leave it unattended as it'll get stolen, I have a pic somewhere of a Leaf with the genny chained to its alloy wheel :D will have to see if I can find it.

I can't defend anyone who didn't research a hotel they booked, however in your shoes I'd be seeing EV owners as potential guests rather than a source of amusement.

A quick google throws up the good hotel guide (you can search by hotels with charging) and the Tesla destination charger map which list 13 hotels in the lakes with EV charging.

That's 13 hotels in your area which are more attractive to a certain demographic (ie those with the financial wherewithal to buy or lease an EV).

It needn't be costly as Tesla supply the kit for destination chargers for free and there are OLEV grants for workplace charging (up here ScotGov covered the cost of the charger at my place of work).

Or you could just continue to laugh at EV owners as they go and stay at other hotels.

1 hour ago, Tayne said:

I can't defend anyone who didn't research a hotel they booked, however in your shoes I'd be seeing EV owners as potential guests rather than a source of amusement.

A quick google throws up the good hotel guide (you can search by hotels with charging) and the Tesla destination charger map which list 13 hotels in the lakes with EV charging.

That's 13 hotels in your area which are more attractive to a certain demographic (ie those with the financial wherewithal to buy or lease an EV).

It needn't be costly as Tesla supply the kit for destination chargers for free and there are OLEV grants for workplace charging (up here ScotGov covered the cost of the charger at my place of work).

Or you could just continue to laugh at EV owners as they go and stay at other hotels.

It is an odd attitude in the hospitality trade; even an extension lead would be better than a generator shirley?

1 hour ago, Tayne said:

I'll continue to laugh, thanks, it was quite funny at the time :)

And extension leads are not the answer, a trailing cable is a trip hazard and the carpark is a long way from any power supply, the company will not pay to fit chargers, we used to run at 98% occupancy anyway so losing a few Tesla owners bookings didn't matter, maybe they'll reconsider, either way I don't give many fucks.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, meggersdog said:

John-joe Vollans has just posted this on facebook.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-finance/advice/car-scrappage-schemes/?fbclid=IwAR1-zS9nRPNdn-37bpfpcy4Jv_fjtf2FklGR0YyIZaWCH6ErDUGSEcBmI9M

New scrappage scheme starts 30 January 2023

Applied only to those in central London, and on benefits, and disabled, or something.