New scrappage scheme

Flat4

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:41 PM, somewhatfoolish said:

The SMMT will be the first up against the wall beside the chancellor when the revolution comes.

I believe the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation are branching out into electric cars, where would you add them in the shooting order?

(for those less trendy folk see here for an explanation of this, admittedly fairly old, so called joke - https://hitchhikersguidetoearth.fandom.com/wiki/Sirius_Cybernetics_Corporation )

Richrebuilds on YouTube has just completed a 7500 mile round trip in his Tesla, so looking forward to his video on how that went.

He is a great supporter of electric vehicles, but seems to annoy other Tesla owners as well as Elon Musk himself, with his honest (to him) opinions and findings.

But I also think if you're going to buy a new or nearly new car, an electric one is the sensible option for MOST people.  And usually more people than would realise.

If a grant can help increase electric car take up, and therefore demand and supply of charging infrastructure / economies of scale in energy production, I'm for it.  

If it scraps a load of perfectly good cars in the process, especially ones with lions on the front, I have a different opinion.

I'd love an electric car. I'm just waiting on the cost to drop into the second hand range.  Which for a mug like me is a good few years. 

I've a predictable commute ideally suited to a electric car. I'd also love to be spending a couple of quid a week on electricity and for my days off I can have something with Dinosaur fuel.

Nothing inherently wrong with the idea, just think there's a lot of pushback from the anti-climite change fuck greta thunberg types. 

Just like above, they don't scrap good second hand cars. Which I think they will, because there's a lot of people for whom a car is a disposable item once it gets to a certain age and they'll start thinking (perhaps wrongly) that one big bill will ruin the car and it's easier to scrap it. Which is exactly what happened the last time round. 

Financially it might work if you do the right daily miles.  Don't forget to include the local shopping and shit not just the commute.

We borrowed to buy our leaf and it was definitely cheaper over that time than most of my shit cars would have been

What i want is a fiat 500, the girly new shaped one, but which will do 0-60 in about 2 seconds with one of those tesla motors in it. As long as the range is about a hundred miles, i'd be totally up for it. (side note it must also cost about <500 quid like most of the cars i buy)

9 hours ago, loserone said:

Oh look, a thread on autoshite which has turned into people slagging off electric cars.

I've been here a while and remember when the collective autoshite massive hated such things as combie boilers, tablets, MINIs, the new Fiat 500 and VW Beetle...

Give it 10 years or some hefty deprecation and most of this lot will own an EV. 

2 hours ago, 1duck said:

What i want is a fiat 500, the girly new shaped one, but which will do 0-60 in about 2 seconds with one of those tesla motors in it. As long as the range is about a hundred miles, i'd be totally up for it. (side note it must also cost about <500 quid like most of the cars i buy)

Step right this way Sir, the new Fiat 500 is EV only.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, N19 said:

The bank, especially the second one, don't know me from Adam and have no idea why I wanted the money, what I was going to spend it on and how I planned to repay it. I thought it was a little bananas (although it was useful it happened so quickly).

The bank looked at your credit history, every months you've paid of the card, every loan, cheque, store card, supermarket promo and account.

They made a decision based on a comprehensive file of info.

You should perhaps do the free trial and see exactly what info they based their decision on, i think you'd be surprised by the depth of it.

8 minutes ago, Tayne said:

The bank looked at your credit history, every months you've paid of the card, every loan, cheque, store card, supermarket promo and account.

They made a decision based on a comprehensive file of info.

You should perhaps do the free trial and see exactly what info they based their decision on, i think you'd be surprised by the depth of it.

This. Clearscore is good but a bit weird how much it knows.

Interesting. I looked myself up on Experian (LOTS of data there going back some time). Apparently I have a 'good' rating, which is supposedly dragged down slightly by having opened a new account recently as well as having had a 'hard' credit check; therefore in a few months this will improve further.

I've only ever paid one credit card bill late, years and years ago (it's on there!) as I forgot what day it was, and I've never had a cheque bounce. I suppose that works in my favour.

Mrs N was eyeing up the 406 Coupe and talking about using it for scrappage to get an EV, luckily she forgot about the idea when informed there are no electric convertibles. But as it owes us £8 , it’s future could be a bit precarious, especially as its roll as a station car for Daughter No.1 is redundant since it looks like she’ll continue working from home after the hostilities .

36 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Mrs N was eyeing up the 406 Coupe and talking about using it for scrappage to get an EV, luckily she forgot about the idea when informed there are no electric convertibles. But as it owes us £8 , it’s future could be a bit precarious, especially as its roll as a station car for Daughter No.1 is redundant since it looks like she’ll continue working from home after the hostilities .

Step right this way Sir, the new Fiat 500 EV has a fabric roof.

11 hours ago, 2flags said:

Subsidising electric cars. We really do have to question whether subsidising  people who can afford a £30,000 motor car is the best use of our tax money when we have folk using food banks. As to the suitability, well it is fine if you have a driveway or have somewhere to charge it. It's fine as a commuting car, shopping car, mum's/dad's taxi but no good if you want to go on a long journey. Charging times and charging point accessibility is always going to make such a journey a fraught and anxious proposition. It will take so much more planning. What happens when you arrive at said charging point to find the a, it's already in use and won't be free for 3 hours, plus you are fourth in the queue? How many times have you have to queue for petrol? I personally think hydrogen fuel cells will be the answer. Refueling times will be comparable to petrol cars, they will be clean at the point of use, i.e. no emissions, they will be quiet and have the potential to have a longer life than a battery powered car. Older well maintained cars are still the most environmentally sound option as all the Co2 released during manufacture has already been released. If you take that figure and divide it by 15, 20 or even 30 years then the percentage is tiny when compared to a new car. The buzz word at the moment is reuse, recycle. This is what we do when we drive older cars. We should be encouraged to do so.

Hydrogen is nothing but a distraction from a fossil fuel industry that's desperate to stay relevant.

Hydrogen cars aren't clean, will never be cheap, are noisier than EVs, you can't refuel them as quickly as a petrol car and if you have unfounded* worries about battery life then you should perhaps look into the major components of a fuel cell car.

HINT: Its a battery electric car with a fuel cell tacked on to generate electricity.

And if you do wish to question government spending habits can you start with the tax avoidance being perpetrated by the likes of amazon/google/starbucks/facebook etc. Get that money back and we can all have new cars.

*Seriously, find me an ICE car with an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty.

yeah looks like you're right, i think the autocar article was out of date/promising a future car at 18k, anyway ignore all that shite.

This is what i want to come down to reasonable money : https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/honda-e/overview.html

They look great in that grey met colour. £26k for a 136 mile range though. I wonder if they’ll combine the scrap page with the current power shift cash?

Makes sense when you consider Vertu Motors claim they're currently experiencing shrinking margins on new car sales. They also reported last year that fleet and commercial sales were down and used car sales were up.  

Another area of consideration is their high margin and profitable aftersales business on new cars.  

Throw into the mix a weak pound, uncertainty over Brexit agreements and lost trade as a result of the pandemic and it becomes clear why they would push for such a scheme. 

Source: https://www.am-online.com/news/dealer-news/2019/05/08/vertu-motors-168-profit-decline-a-credible-result-in-uncertain-economy

9 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I’ve often wondered what would happen if you went on a trip say a hundred miles, you’d need to recharge at the other end lets say for the return leg and you couldn’t find a recharge point or they were all full up. 

Two years ago we had this experience with a visitor to the Aberystwyth University graduation ceremony - we're in the arse end of anywhere and, then, there were no charging points. Guy was insistent so jury rigged him up with a trailing lead out a window overnight. Now there are a number of points on campus and (I think) 2 or 3 in town at motor dealers but I still wouldn't want to be driving out here in the hope of finding one free.
Were I rich I would have a Tesla or something like the Mini hybrid (had a drive in one and it IS good). However I am not rich so it's nasty old oil based tat for the time being. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I’ve often wondered what would happen if you went on a trip say a hundred miles, you’d need to recharge at the other end lets say for the return leg and you couldn’t find a recharge point or they were all full up. 

We frequently get this at work (Hotel in the Lakes) people turn up with zero range left in their cars then go into full on panic mode as we don't have chargers, I have on occasion had to lend them a generator to charge them up, and insisted that they don't leave it unattended as it'll get stolen, I have a pic somewhere of a Leaf with the genny chained to its alloy wheel :D will have to see if I can find it.

1 minute ago, Jazoli said:

We frequently get this at work (Hotel in the Lakes) people turn up with zero range left in their cars then go into full on panic mode as we don't have chargers, I have on occasion had to lend them a generator to charge them up, and insisted that they don't leave it unattended as it'll get stolen, I have a pic somewhere of a Leaf with the genny chained to its alloy wheel :D will have to see if I can find it.

How ironic, a filthy stinking polluting generator bailing out the green Leaf! ?

1 hour ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Two years ago we had this experience with a visitor to the Aberystwyth University graduation ceremony - we're in the arse end of anywhere and, then, there were no charging points. Guy was insistent so jury rigged him up with a trailing lead out a window overnight. Now there are a number of points on campus and (I think) 2 or 3 in town at motor dealers but I still wouldn't want to be driving out here in the hope of finding one free.
Were I rich I would have a Tesla or something like the Mini hybrid (had a drive in one and it IS good). However I am not rich so it's nasty old oil based tat for the time being. 

My wife and and eldest son got their degrees there, needless to say a few years apart.

Just the parking at his graduation ceremony was a nightmare.

I agree with the arse end of anywhere, it's a nice place but the journey there leaves a lot to be desired. Twice in 4 years we were diverted over 70 miles off route due to flooding.

43 minutes ago, chadders said:

I agree with the arse end of anywhere, it's a nice place but the journey there leaves a lot to be desired. Twice in 4 years we were diverted over 70 miles off route due to flooding.

Yup - that's us, one way in and one way out. It rains - you have to go via Machynlleth or worse. It rains a lot here. Mind you - even Covid has a hard time finding us it would seem but then that may be as we are socially distant all the time anyway. (Aberystwyth without the students/staff in the place is a total ghost town - I go in once a week for the shop and often don't see more than maybe a dozen people.)