Patina, the most shagged W124 cab in existence... now has a W208 CLK for company

124Cab

On 6/9/2020 at 2:35 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

It has that air of "I've plenty of money so can leave it looking like this" to it.

I want something as lacquer deficient for my daily in Spain.

Yes indeed, I did think exactly the same thing! I am going to have to tackle the front wings, but perhaps I could lacquer the bare welded patches, steam punk style?

On 6/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, Conan said:

Is the flat face wheels also off a W124? Definitely keep the bodywork shoddy though, the patina's amazing. Appears to be DB904 Midnight Blue as well which is the same colour as my old 124, great colour for it!

Indeed they are, off an early prefacelift W124, around 1988. I believe the square hole design came a bit later on. Not ideal, but the 8 holes currently fitted are diamond cut and about as nasty as you get! Azurite blue I believe, a facelift colour.

9 hours ago, 124Cab said:

It is one of the first things on my to do list! However, if I find that the hood ECU, struts, micro switches, pump and all other hood paraphernalia are totally borked, I may convert it to manual. I've a friend who's done his with great success, disconnecting the pump and creating a lever to operate the rear bow release via a cable and the rear cover release by bonding the Mercedes emergency release tool to the nut between the back seats. However I live in hope! I'm willing to chuck a reasonable wedge at it to see if I can get things functioning correctly before I start the butchery. 

I now Have a CLK convertible so I am still up for hood racing!

IMG_20200201_102225 broad.jpg

You just know that Penelope Fishcake-Nobthrottler from Little Fistula-on-the-piddle in Poshcestershire has had that, and not once treated it any better than the wheelbarrow she carts horse dung about it at the stables. That’s proper old money on show, there. 

It might be cheaper to adopt the general air of a stinking rich, scruffy aristocrat than to fix anything more than the bare minimum on that car. Get thee some charity shop tweed an drive around half cut, if stopped by the rozzers just take a deep glug from your hip flask and ask them, incredulously; “don’t you know who I am?!”

(Good luck!) 

:)

1 hour ago, motorpunk said:

You just know that Penelope Fishcake-Nobthrottler from Little Fistula-on-the-piddle in Poshcestershire has had that, and not once treated it any better than the wheelbarrow she carts horse dung about it at the stables. That’s proper old money on show, there. 

It might be cheaper to adopt the general air of a stinking rich, scruffy aristocrat than to fix anything more than the bare minimum on that car. Get thee some charity shop tweed an drive around half cut, if stopped by the rozzers just take a deep glug from your hip flask and ask them, incredulously; “don’t you know who I am?!”

(Good luck!) 

:)

I’d have to agree. A wax jacket and some old wellies should be on display at all times

It’s uniqueness is it’s cosmetic condition. Are you going to address the aesthetics or resist that urge? 

Nothing shouts old money more than a willfully neglected but formerly mega money car (in the mid 90s IIRC they were nudging £50k- house money!)

Evening all.

Patina has a friend! 230K tip auto with 100k on the clock and a heap of history. My new daily as im doing 300 miles a week and need something robust feeling. 950 notes well spent I hope...

And yes that horrendous bead thing was included in the sale...

More pics and dramas to follow no doubt. 

IMG_20200618_223610_508.jpg

IMG_20200618_224346_032.jpg

received_714040129359953.jpeg

received_259694388466553.jpeg

FTA - that there hails from the west country. These are such good value now aren’t they, of all cars they seem to have gone from talk of the town at launch to bargain bucket. Love them.

I remember people pre ordering them and selling them on for more after taking ownership such was the hype.