1988 Honda City CG - New addition to the fleet

The Vicar

Evening gents,

Glad to finally be able to contribute a car of my own to the ever-growing shite stable. Lockdown has led me to try my hand at all sorts over the last few months; baking, running, painting etc. I can now add unnecessary shite car purchases to that list, thanks to this:

49981656316_e7dd49485d_z.jpg

49981656361_312568326b_z.jpg

49981909357_f6d3d51320_z.jpg

49981656706_7672d90777_z.jpg

49981130038_f0d0ddd022_z.jpg

49981909517_65a38679aa_z.jpg

49981909562_e3d1825e4c_z.jpg

49981130283_43c8c1458d_z.jpg

49981909447_7cc879a8d8_z.jpg

Its a totally original, two owner (since import), Honda City (Jazz) CG - 1.3 GA2 16v, auto box, with 85k km. 

Its a cute little thing, and I think I'll enjoy buzzing around in it for the summer. I may even update this thread in time, should anything interesting happen in my ownership experience! Just wanted to share a few photos for now.

42 minutes ago, SiC said:

Not seen one of those Honda City for years. Watch out, those flairs are technically illegal in the UK. 

I’m sure I read before that they don’t age well, I think they are only safe to use for a few years and afterwards they need replacing. I suppose it is doing no harm under the dash for show!

Solid gold JDM-YO! shite you have there. Bonus points for having OE hazardous pyrotechnics. The manufacturers only warrant them for a few years but unless you get them wet in storage and then dry out it's unlikely to be dangerous(or more dangerous than a burning lump of magnesium stuff with a handle is supposed to be); past the 'use by' date generally means it might be hard to ignite, the colour will be off if it's a coloured flare or not to the required brightness or burn time. Reluctant to start ones can be ignited with a gas torch. Don't do that though and definitely don't do it at home wearing stout gloves and goggles, over a non-flammable surface and somewhere that it doesn't matter if everything in the immediate area gets covered in a film of magnesium ash.

Corr! SiC and swf beat me to it mentioning the flare. That would probably make you some kind of deity on a Honda forum!

That looks like a great little car, I would imagine it'll run until the bodywork literally falls away from the running gear, although it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon.

Nice buy.

Thanks gents for the kind words. I'll update this thread with a few more pictures after I give the car a good polish, it needs it. I'm hoping it'll revive the paint a bit, but not too bothered if it doesn't. Just need to get it taxed (50 quid) and its ready to rock!

19 hours ago, Carlosfandango said:

Most excellent. I had this saved in my DD ‘saved ads’ on the app but realistically I knew that I’m already bursting at the seams. I thought it might be your bag Vicar. Well purchaserated and well wear. I’ll keep any eye open for you about town. 

CFD 

Thanks C. Awful pity Terenure is cancelled, we coulda had a great showdown with our Euro/Jap 80s hot hatches. One day hopefully. I've moved from Leeson st to Milltown, but do still keep an eye out now that we're out of lockdown, I'll be doing likewise.

9 minutes ago, DavidB said:

What a cool looking little car, I’ve never seen one before. How long has it been out of Japan?

My JDM RX7 had a flare in it as well!

It has been in Ireland since 1991. Back then there was a huge market here for JDM cars, mostly humdrum Starlets/Micras/Civics etc as they were better spec'd than the Irish market cars.

WANT, that's class. 

Yes, the flares are category 4 firearms. 

My boss just bought a hybrid Estima with one, he took it to a fire station, they just chucked it in a box. They were a bit confused that someone knew what a category 4 firearm was! 

Gave the headlights and front reflector a quick polish this morning, not a great job but they came up well. I'll give them another going-over on the weekend for better results:

49991654617_2c6c1bcc26_z.jpg

49990889793_117c5b7e66_z.jpg

On 6/8/2020 at 7:57 PM, RoadworkUK said:

I think what everybody here meant to ask is: "Does that panel between the headlights light up?"

(lovely, btw)

To answer this question:

49991655032_1e0dfedd56_z.jpg

No :( 

Heres a couple of recent shots. You can see how bad the lights were. I've pressed it into daily service and it has been faultless:

49991654672_8ce2e6a94c_z.jpg

49990890038_da7bbce88b_z.jpg

49991410666_c847e1e0a7_z.jpg

Now this is a beauty, looks flawless! One of the cars I've wanted for a long time, There was a Honda City GA2 cz-i on facebook about 2 years ago that I wanted but I was stuck in Poland at the time, only other one I saw was in Ireland which sold for 2000. Enjoy the car!

9 minutes ago, BadLuckClub said:

Now this is a beauty, looks flawless! One of the cars I've wanted for a long time, There was a Honda City GA2 cz-i on facebook about 2 years ago that I wanted but I was stuck in Poland at the time, only other one I saw was in Ireland which sold for 2000. Enjoy the car!

Was the Irish car black in colour? I’ve heard from a few sources that it was stolen and subsequently burnt out by joyriders in the last year or so.