Mercedes e430 , W210 future classic?

NorfolkNWeigh

You got a damn good deal there.  The monoblocks on that are the very sought after ones (there are several different sizes) and are worth the thick end of £1k on their own.  Whilst I agree that it would be wrong to take them off the car, if you did so you'd probably make more.

If this is in as clean condition as it appears, surely this has to be Peter C's new car? @Peter C

Were it an estate I'd be seriously tempted myself.  An extra 100hp over my current S210 would be quite amusing*

I do feel for you, mate.  My chum over the road is (was) a Virgin Atlantic pilot.  He will be made redundant this month and - whilst they've said they will start rehiring people as and when they're needed - realistically he won't work again until next year.  Fortunately, for him, he's been a VA pilot for 10 years.

I think you're right to start looking at options.  Even becoming a housewife.  I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to hand over any money to keep on the road if you're not going to be doing much driving.  I dare say things won't properly bounce back until next Easter.  

If you don't need to access the money for the E430 NOW, then I'd sit on it.  Titivate here and there.  Then if you DO need to cash out, you'll hopefully get max monies.  If you can sell the more expensive E Class then why not do that?  You can always pick up another one when work looks like it's about to "Take Off" again.  (Pun intended).

Whatever you do, keep smiling.  From the worst shit grows the best tomatoes. 

x

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I love how outraged people get when someone has made a profit. If he wants it badly enough he’ll pay you what you want for it. 

I remember years ago on retro rides I was considering buying a car and someone totally unrelated started sending me irate massages about exactly where when and how the seller came to buy it, the main thrust of it was indignation about the price (that was reasonable and I was happy to pay)

Ive never asked more money for a car than I’ve bought but have no issue at all with it, unlike the person pm- ing me at the time!

7 hours ago, Talbot said:

If this is in as clean condition as it appears, surely this has to be Peter C's new car? @Peter C

Thanks Talbot,! I didn’t even realise this was already for sale.

As I’m looking for a new daily and I’m trading up from a 1.7d Tucson that does 40MPG around town and 50+ on a run, I’m conscious that I would have a not insignificant celebration if this achieved 20MPG on any kind of journey. I fully appreciate that a 240 or 320 W210 won’t be economical but I need to draw the line somewhere.

Tell me if I’m wrong and remind me what’s the shitter’s price?

2 minutes ago, Peter C said:

As I’m looking for a new daily and I’m trading up from a 1.7d Tucson that does 40MPG around town and 50+ on a run, I’m conscious that I would have a not insignificant celebration if this achieved 20MPG on any kind of journey. I fully appreciate that a 240 or 320 W210 won’t be economical but I need to draw the line somewhere.

Erm….………………you're wrong ?

13 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

A v8 will be less stressed than a straight six so will use less fuel, seriously is there a big difference in fuel consumption ?

I doubt that a 200+BHP V6 would be feeling stressed in a W210.

As for the difference, about 25-30%?

I had an E320 CDi S210 for a few years. 

They drive really well. My brother had two W210s new,  an S reg 240 with the V6 and an X reg face-lift 220 CDi. The V8 jobs are great cars provided they've been kept fairly well. They're not expensive to keep good as long as you keep on top of them. Fix things as soon as they go slightly wonky and they stay good. Leave them wonky and they get to the point where everything needs replacing and then they get very expensive. 

The 195k mile S210 for 2.5 years was enough to make me risk buying a 195k mile S203 C32 AMG.

The S210 needed more spending on welding than anything else during my ownership. 

2 hours ago, camryv6 said:

Can you sell the wife's car, let her use the airport merc, then replate it when the works starts again ?

This is an option that’s on the cards, the only fly in the ointment is that the ML is finance , we were skint at the time so took some dodgy dealer HP, it’ll be paid off in January, but I may get a settlement figure to see how that would work out financially. The other issue is the “ I’m not driving round in a bloody taxi ! “ aspect , she really doesn’t like the E Class ( either of them). And as she’s the only one earning at the moment, I don’t want to piss her off too much.

1 minute ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

This is an option that’s on the cards, the only fly in the ointment is that the ML is finance , we were skint at the time so took some dodgy dealer HP, it’ll be paid off in January, but I may get a settlement figure to see how that would work out financially. The other issue is the “ I’m not driving round in a bloody taxi ! “ aspect , she really doesn’t like the E Class ( either of them). And as she’s the only one earning at the moment, I don’t want to piss her off too much.

Tell her that it's not a taxi, it is a drug dealers car, I am sure that will work.

If that doesn't work give her one of the daughters cars, I am sure you can bully, guilt trip one of the kids to drive the merc ?

2 hours ago, Peter C said:

Just been looking at the combined mpg s on Autotrader.

W210;                                     W211;

240 27.2mpg                      240 27.2mpg

280 27.5 mpg                    280 27.7mpg

320 26.2 mpg                   350 27.7mpg

430 24.8mpg                    500 25.6mpg

Not worth going for a 240 then, unless it’s a particularly nice one, and there doesn’t seem to be much benefit from the extra 2 gears on the W211, presumably the motorwY consumption will show a bigger difference. Looking at the 4 e500s on Autotrader , that’s where my money would be going .

Over 300 bhp 25mpg and a  choice from £3000.

There isn’t a shiters price because I don’t really want to sell it here, I’ve got it on PH for £3k and haven’t done a proper ad yet. Realistically I’d like somewhere around £2000- if the worse comes to worse I’ll take the wheels off and hopefully still get my money back.

That's quite remarkable figures for the fuel economy of the W210.  Barely any real difference between any of the petrol engines. Individual driving style is likely to have a far greater effect than engine size.

I'd be interested to know what they recon the combined figure for a S210 E300TD is, as I get between 30 (round town or towing) and 36/37ish on a run and not giving it large everywhere.  Assuming an average 33mpg, that's means a 430 achieves 75% of the economy of my diesel, with an additional 100hp available.  Or you can say the Diesel gets 33% more miles per litre of fuel, which is roughly about right for most vehicles.  Hence you'd be looking at low 20's around town, and high 20's on a run.  Might even knock on the door of 30mpg if you were feeling very sedate one day.

For the want of an average 1.4MPG under the 320, it's worth having a V8 shirley?